Where can I get my outer barrel shortened

Mantle
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello, is there a place that I can get a section of my outer barrel removed and rejoined (I want to keep the barrel threads), or just shorten the barrel and rethread it? I do not want to pay  £100+ for a short barrel for my gbbr. I would do it myself but I have no experience with stuff like this and I do not want to mess it up. Thank you

• Root Admin

Getting this done professionally is going to cost you at least £40 for someone as this will need a lathe and the applicable level of skill to do it neatly. Doing it yourself to a grade that isn't awful without additional tools is next to impossible - even if you could shorten the barrel (which is the easy bit as most airsoft gun metal isn't hardened and can be cut with a fine tooth saw), you'd be left without threads (which again needs turning). Cutting out and rejoining a portion is also pretty difficult if you want it to look anything short of absolutely terrible or horribly weak (the contact surfaces just wouldn't be any good even for JB Weld.

It might be worth considering that '£100+' barrel or having this sent off to be cut down and turned to remake the threads.

I shortened the barrel manually, without a lathe, on my old WE M4, but it’s a bitch of a job and you will need to buy an expensive die (thread making tool) AND know how to use it.

Even having the skills, I wouldn’t do it again, not worth the aggro.

rdb

• Supporters

I have access to a lathe and i'd probably stump up for the shorter outer barrel.

Thing is even with a lathe it wont necessarily be perfect. Recently tied to mod an adaptor to fit a suppressor to my we sig and it doesnt hold square all that well.

Got a similar issue, don't fancy paying £125 for an outer barrel 🤐 Even then, this barrel is still about an inch too long for the project I have in mind...

If you find a service, I will also be interested 

Screenshot_20180610-012807.png

http://airsoft.tiger111hk.com/p24705/Army-Force-Outer-Barrel-Set-for-M4-AEG/WA-M4-GBB-(Black)/product_info.html

Would that do it?

Stubs look to be 2.5 inches. 

Would give, 2.5, 5.5 (3), 7.5 (5), 9.5 (7),10.5 (3+5), 12.5 (3+7),14.5 (5+7),17.5 (3+5+7)

Oh it's on amazon as well.... With free postage for under £37

It's also got a proper dimension for the stub lengths. AEG 3.125 Gbb 2.25.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Airsoft-Segments-Barrel-Version-Purpose/dp/B01NAVNY4K

So the real dimensions are.

AEG -- 3.125, 6.125, 8.125, 11.125, 13.125, 15.125, 18.125.

Gbb-- 2.25, 5.25, 7.25, 9.25, 10.25, 12.25, 14.25, 17.25

2 hours ago, BigBlackGlock said:

Got a similar issue, don't fancy paying £125 for an outer barrel 🤐 Even then, this barrel is still about an inch too long for the project I have in mind...

Well what a coincidence, same gun, got a tan one. Sucks about the barrel, so expensive

26 minutes ago, M_P said:

What gun is it? We may be able to find a cheaper alternative

PTS Masada

7 hours ago, BigBlackGlock said:

I got a 10.5 CYMA outer barrel.

This sounds like a terrible idea to me, just buy a shorter barrel?

• Mostly Retired Moderators

Consider asking LCs engineering outpost.

He's based just outside of Farnborough (Near Aldershot if you aren't familiar)

https://www.facebook.com/lcsengineeringoutpost/

He makes barrels, barrel extensions, can shorten Barrels, repairs threads and can generally make any kind of custom thing.

aAAqEnv.jpg

He's very sought after so he might have a queue..

Just buy the shorter barrel, or play with the existing one. Modifying your barrel in the way you’re saying is a right PITA, and you’ll probably end up ruining it anyway. You don’t have a spare to work from when it goes tits up, and then you’re back to buying the short one anyway. At least if you just bought the new one, you could mitigate some of the cost by selling the original to the poor sod who had the same idea as you and tried to shorten it themselves.

On 6/10/2018 at 8:24 AM, L3wisD said:

Consider asking LCs engineering outpost.

He's based just outside of Farnborough (Near Aldershot if you aren't familiar)

https://www.facebook.com/lcsengineeringoutpost/

He makes barrels, barrel extensions, can shorten Barrels, repairs threads and can generally make any kind of custom thing.

aAAqEnv.jpg

He's very sought after so he might have a queue..

You, sir, are a legend! I spoke to him and he is willing to shorten it for me to my specs, at a fraction of the cost of what the CQB barrel costs! Thank you 😀

4 hours ago, L3wisD said:

Happy to help! :)

.... that'll be £10 please.

If payment is not received within 10 working days, the boys will come around to slap the back of your legs.

On 6/11/2018 at 12:22 PM, L3wisD said:

Happy to help! :)

.... that'll be £10 please.

Maybe once he takes the job on 😅 Said he can do it but has not responded since, so I assume he has a few projects to do 

Archived