Are Lipos worth it?

PaulSchoon
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

LiPo together with switching to deans should make a decent difference

Deans - just on their own make about 10~12% to response/rof

on some guns with multiple breaks/connections on thin 18awg wire

you might only notice half of that increase 5~6% though if wiring is really crap

As stock guns fire say aprox 13rps - this increase is only about 1~1.5% rps boost on deans

(though the response improves on deans and allows more power to flow without choke points)

The wiring/connections are about potential choke points that offer resistance to reaching motor

Deans over small tamiya offers a good deal improvement over the thin resistance of the connection

LiPo's over much more snap or zest over ye olde nimah type batteries

a 7.4v will out perform a 8.4v nimah and often a GOOD say 2000mah 25c 7.4v LiPo will match a 9.6v

(When combining LiPo with deans you should see a boost of say 15%+ or more depending on gun)

If you use a decent 7.4v with deans you should be fine for a good while without a mosfet for time being

(unless you tweaked the gun up quite a bit with high speed motor)

if using a 11.1v LiPo then it is advisable to consider fitting a mosfet at some point perhaps

Long story short - it is about the amps/watts n crap to increasing risking of switch contacts burning out

A modest fairly stock-ish gun on 7.4v you will be fine for a fair while without need a mosfet

When people make the jump to LiPo depends on your circumstances/budget or whatever

but ffs don't bother buying any more nimah's - save your money and at this point when your nimah's are dying

THEN most people say f*ck this - I'm going LiPo/Deans

• 3 weeks later...
  • Supporters

short answer yes, absolutely without question.

long answer is yes, absolutely, without question, just beware that your internals might suffer from the punishment of being driven hard and that you should absolutely never skimp on your lipo charging equipment, do it properly or don't do it at all. the imax b6 is the standard recommended charger and i'd also recommend a voltage checker (such as the etronix battery doctor) for that extra peace of mind. i've seen 4 or 5 threads on here now of those 3 led nuprol lipo chargers dying and killing batteries.

all of my guns run 11.1 lipo with deans and if they cant handle it i make them better until they can. running without a mosfet is fine, but expect the arcing to burn out your contacts at some point.

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, PaulSchoon said:

Thanks for the input on the chargers and everything it is much appreciated. Is there any deans that are better than others or are they all the same? 

Far as I’m aware all the same. You can get some with different shapes to make easier to pull apart.

i just bought a random pack of 10 on eBay for few pound and they’ve been fine 

10 hours ago, Cleaners inc said:

Far as I’m aware all the same. You can get some with different shapes to make easier to pull apart.

i just bought a random pack of 10 on eBay for few pound and they’ve been fine 

Yep same, @PaulSchoon I also got a pack of x 20 for around £5'er.

Yeah, lipos will make a huge difference in the performance of your gun. Just be warned that an 11.1 might be too much for your gun to handle. My vfc vr16 avalon double shoots on semi with an 11.1. A lipo will easily fix that, but it's just something to keep in mind. Without a mosfet a 11.1 can wear down the internals. 

Component shop is great for wiring & battery accessories, I use them all the time. 

They sell all sorts and shapes and sizes of LiPo's and you can choose what connector you want on a specific battery.

They're also on eBay.

Chris

• Supporters
On 15/07/2018 at 19:40, MaxtheNinja said:

Yeah, lipos will make a huge difference in the performance of your gun. Just be warned that an 11.1 might be too much for your gun to handle. My vfc vr16 avalon double shoots on semi with an 11.1. A lipo will easily fix that, but it's just something to keep in mind. Without a mosfet a 11.1 can wear down the internals. 

Firing double on semi is your gun's way of saying  "i need a titan"

17 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

Firing double on semi is your gun's way of saying  "i need a titan"

lol, no kidding, I'll be putting one in there eventually :D

On 15/07/2018 at 15:11, PaulSchoon said:

Sounds like I'll make the transition to lipos then, where did you get your avalon? I am thinking of getting one and am wondering what a good retailer to buy it from is. I've had bad experiences with some of my local shops...

I got mine from Modern Airsoft, they have much better customer service than evike imo.

• Supporters
34 minutes ago, MaxtheNinja said:

Lol, no kidding, I'll be putting one in there eventually :D

Good man, then you can look forward to the breaking of internals, which is your guns way of saying "i need hpa"

24 minutes ago, Solly4568 said:

But if you wanted HPA you would just play paintball 😐 

(sorry 😂)

That's like saying Nerf Guns use batteries...

Hang on  😁

• Supporters
7 minutes ago, Solly4568 said:

Sorry I am still in the hpa closet I will probably come out soon................ probably 

Indeed you will, all it takes is one shot with a well tuned hpa to see the power....

Archived