Never trust Internet Dating

Countryman
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

You know how sometimes people look better in their on line profile than they do in real life? You know soft focus, best possible camera angles, maybe a photo from a few years ago, a few pounds lighter and a few less miles on the clock? Well, I recently bought a Masada on line. Im never dating on-line!

Lovely chap by mail text and phone. This one sounded good. He had bought it second user from a mate, only skirmished once himself. Had some scratches but only a couple of years old, quite a bit of custom work by a really well respected tech in his part of the world including a Mofset and a custom hop nub. Shooting 280fps with .25s which seemed a bit low.

Well I thought its a quality gun and probably worth a punt. It arrived very quickly but perhaps this wasnt a surprise as I guess he really wanted rid of this!

At first I was abit concerned that the pictures were terribly flattering,

1755874002_MadadaGeneral2.thumb.jpg.4b1562a2da63484f8b41af5078be7d61.jpg

then i noticed a wire from the lower,

1196276243_MasadaGeneral1.thumb.jpg.72961fac1125b29feff1245361ed669f.jpg

forward which was jamming the bolt cover release and had obviously become abraded by previous efforts.

I took it in to my local Tech to see how bad it could be. Apart from the insight into his table decor I thought you might enjoy these!

1586621157_Masada3.thumb.jpg.50a567b2211db461fe61f8be703937dd.jpg

1545771249_Masada5.thumb.jpg.9674f2fae98dff09bdee4966ef1a99fe.jpg

Masada1.thumb.jpg.5c8a924066e232bd32323865b5cc99fe.jpg

1439554881_Masada6.thumb.jpg.5fc6bbc2ae837815d1ced3e50f6ebd3f.jpg

466665752_MasadaCustomHop.thumb.jpg.c85c4a36a04619411c5105d640f005d4.jpg

My favourite, THE CUSTOM HOP NUB! No blame, no victimisation. Im awaiting a butchers bill from my Tech before I decide what im doing next. 

Of course no reply from aforementioned "Lovely Guy"

Lesson learned for me either way now!

• Supporters

Jesus. You got the rough end of the stick there.

All second hand guns I have purchased, and there have been a few, have been exactly as described. So don’t let you put this off buying second hand, just buy from people you trust!

• Head Moderator

@Countrymanif bought from someone on this forum then leave feedback.

9 minutes ago, Sitting Duck said:

There are very few times I'm lost for words - ask anyone on here

it is very very very rare indeed

so I'll just ask was this guy also a car locksmith by chance ????

Image result for trust me i'm an engineer meme

Nowt wrong with that innovation lad, does exactly what it's intended for.

Horley Sheet.

Looking at the mess.

2 sets of deans, Cylinder & piston heads, Airseal nozzle,  2m of silver plated wire, a new hop unit, and a quality bucking.

If you can do the work yourself I'd say £40 ish in parts and 2-3 hours of fitting and tweaking time. For a tech you'll have the £40 ish in parts + labour at £15 per hour so £70ish I recon.

Damn, even my first go at tech on my gun didn't look that rough.

• Supporters

that's about as bad as the interior of my m4 was when i got it.

if ever there was an excuse to chuck the internals and start over that'd be it.

There's always people wandering around with this school of thought "that guy screwed me with this trade, if I have to screw someone else to get my money back my karma is still balanced". Sorry this happened to you.

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 1:01 PM, Jedi_Master said:

Seller has been unresponsive since arrival by text or email.

Parts required to make good top £100 plus the Technician love. 

Appropriate feedback has been left. I hope you never get caught out by this dishonourable liar. Personally my integrity is worth more than a couple hundred quid!

Sorry it's been such a bad experience.

I've bought 3 used guns to date.  2 were fine straight out of the box, one only needed minor work (couple O rings).

What parts are you getting?  £100 seems high, are you upgrading as well as rectifying?

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 1:01 PM, Jedi_Master said:

The bill from PTS for replacement (just stock parts replacing what is knackered)  is going to be £100 alone. Much of this is bearings, a switch, screws, shims and washers and Its not a cheap rifle.

Upgrades to the piston/ Cylinder head and Piston head will add another £45 but these would otherwise be how much cheaper stock? . Still umming about a high torque motor (C £50?).

Lots of carbon in the original which wasnt designed for the LiPo. So that would be another £100 and lets face it would you spend that much on a stock rifle? 

• Supporters

You should be able to get cheaper, better parts from different retailers. Have a word with @ak2m4, and see if he can help you, I have no doubt he can, and he will probably save you quite a few pennies too!

Cheers Prisce!

Kind of just resigned to this now. If we can turn it into a custom dealer of death then I will recover some joy out of it.

Anyone had any experience of hydrodipping?

Now some of you will be cynical I know but after a couple weeks of no contact by text or email I resorted to a Paypal Claim and luckily the Seller caught sight of this and made contact with me.

Seller had not seen received my texts and only checks his mail account weekly. Somehow his Paypal account had been closed down after our transaction but he had opened another and was prepared to refund me. After one refund as "Goods and Services" which I had to refund back to avoid any possibility of a claim back, I have received a refund as "Friends and Family" that hopefully allow me to draw a line under this matter.

Agreement was, rather than a messy back and forth returning the rifle to the Isle of Man, that I keep the RIF at a more reasonable price based on its actual condition "Spares or Repairs". An amicable settlement has been reached, the seller was mortified and apologetic about the condition of the rifle that he had bought in good faith and assumed the previous work was done to a good standard, with no ability himself to look into the rifle.

Jedi Master if you read this I would like to revise my feedback somewhat. Could you let me know how I do that?

My faith in trading with our on line community is restored! I dutifully eat humble pie.

I now expect to spend a couple hundred pounds on repairs and upgrades and try to enjoy it. I may try to write up the changes to be made and how this works as a restoration of a really iconic AEG.

54 minutes ago, Jez_Armstrong said:

Would like to know which tech did the shoddy work

Cant be too many "Professional" Technicians on Ilse of Man!

Archived