New Classifieds format

ibo7
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Is it just me or has the new Classifieds format slowed down the interest in sales?

Most ads seems to have no questions and no offers. Visually it looks better but I think browsing takes longer as there's only a few ads per page.

Anyone else agree?

5 minutes ago, ibo7 said:

Is it just me or has the new Classifieds format slowed down the interest in sales?

Most ads seems to have no questions and no offers. Visually it looks better but I think browsing takes longer as there's only a few ads per page.

Anyone else agree?

People use PM as they're supposed to, as they were supposed to with the old system but needlessly bumped their topic. Just because you cannot see the buyer/seller discussions doesn't mean they're not happening.

What are you basing this off? Have you coallated the amount of active vs completed ads over the last period of the new system being implemented based against previous data or.... just surmising?

• Root Admin

Moved to Forum Feedback

Might want to use the category menu on the right if you're only seeing a 'a few ads per page'. E.g.:

https://airsoft-forums.uk/classifieds/category/10-spring-rifles/

Category view is also accessible from your menu on mobile and desktop.

Desktop:

screenshot-airsoft-forums.uk-2018-06-07-10-39-05.png

screenshot-airsoft-forums.uk-2018-06-07-10-39-21.png

Mobile:

screenshot-airsoft-forums.uk-2018-06-07-10-39-53.png

In terms of traffic: I cannot be too helpful as we were trailing the new classifieds even as I added analytics, so don't have a huge amount of the old data. I might be able to get some of the old stuff of @Deva to compare with. What I can tell you is that airsoft-forums.uk/classifieds is still our second most popular page (after the roof of the website - i.e. airsoft-forums.uk). Believe we rank 4-5 on Google for 'airsoft classifieds' (using .co.uk). In that case I believe we've had a marginal increase over about 6 months ago - likely down to not using a forum section for keywords etc. as Google is a lot nicer if you provide it with the tags and a nice URL like /classifieds does.

Also for a semi-reliable gauge of who's buying/selling, the feedback can help: https://airsoft-forums.uk/feedback/, but bear in mind that the old feedback system is still about so some people might not be using it yet.

Of course if you really want to know and are willing to do a little work you could go to the archived pages - taking AEGs as an example - https://airsoft-forums.uk/forum/18-electric/

Then add up the number of threads being posted from a month (I'd use January or February so that you're not checking threads during the new classifieds testing period) and compare the volume of ads to what we're getting today.

• Root Admin

Perhaps, but perhaps not. I can see how many listings are added per week, but for now there's a big spike when we switched over (following some smaller numbers as people continued to use the old stuff). We'll know in a couple of months if numbers are trailing off.

A couple of people have expressed concern at the navigation on the home page for the home of the classifieds (i.e. scrolling to the next 'page' of adverts) so that might be looked at later.

• Supporters

I agree with the OP, I have listed 4-5 RIFs on the forum classifieds recently, have sold them all now, but didn’t sell one on this forum. Didn’t even get half the interest I was getting previously...

One of the guns I listed on here , I listed elsewhere and could have sold it 13 times over by now.

2 hours ago, ibo7 said:

Okay seems like I may have the wrong idea then! 

• Root Admin
1 hour ago, Prisce said:

I agree with the OP, I have listed 4-5 RIFs on the forum classifieds recently, have sold them all now, but didn’t sell one on this forum. Didn’t even get half the interest I was getting previously...

One of the guns I listed on here , I listed elsewhere and could have sold it 13 times over by now.

I suppose I struggle to see how the user experience (with regards to viewing listings) with the new classifieds is anything different to the old, forum-based way of viewing what's for sale.

The categories are basically just what the old sub-forums used to be (except with thumbnails). I can tell you that traffic to the classifieds is still reasonably high, but it's not possible for me to compare this to the old stuff as the analytics were switched over. I would agree with the 'home' for the classifieds being very different, but then I suppose the argument is whether one click to the 'categories' page is making that difference? Even with the old format one would still need to click into a subcategory to view what's inside - with the new system new, randomised and soon-to-end listings are all displayed: It's hard to argue that this doesn't give ones listings a fair shot at being shown to people who're just dipping in to see what's going (as opposed to those who have something specific in mind).

And of course the underlying concern would be that between Facebook and ZeroIn, we do only get a sliver of UK airsoft classifieds in the first place. I dare say these top two see the lions share of private sales in the UK just by themselves (ZeroIn by virtue of being first and Facebook by virtue of user base).

Any idea why they might not be getting the traffic or sales you expected?

Edit:

Could you link us to your listings by the way? I can't see them under your profile for some reason.

https://airsoft-forums.uk/profile/14845-prisce/?do=content&type=classifieds_advert&change_section=1

Edit 2:

Will compile some numbers tonight based on what I've found with page views. I may have a way around the lack of previous data.

• Supporters
5 hours ago, proffrink said:

-snip-

Haven’t got any currently up for sale, only an expired if that’s still good, rest were on the old style forums, and they still had the same problems

I would tend to agree with @Prisce I’m selling elsewhere more often tha;pin not now, no idea why.

I used to make a point of listing here for a week before listing anywhere else, but that isn’t viable anymore, they all go up at once now.

Dont get me wrong @proffrink I like the new layout, but as I said a few weeks ago, browsing in iOS you can see the thumbnails but not read the advert titles, so you are obliged to open every advert to see what it is. Possible people aren’t doing this last step.

rdb

• Root Admin

Could you expand upon the titles thing? AFAIK I extended them to two lines (from 1 initially) after someone complained (not sure if it was you), but we had to roll back the theme due to that bug with the cache that was crashing the whole site so it's possible I'll have to remake the changes.

From what I can see most AEGs are still getting a couple of hundred views, which is why I'd like to be able to compare old and new adverts (as I will tonight). From a cursory glance they're getting the same click-throughs.

37 minutes ago, Prisce said:

Haven’t got any currently up for sale, only an expired if that’s still good, rest were on the old style forums, and they still had the same problems

Then - and I mean this in the nicest way possible - but how on Earth are you able to quantify what the issue is here and whether it's the forums total traffic, the new classifieds or the old ones being shite? What are you comparing and - by extension - making a suggestion about?

• Supporters
9 minutes ago, proffrink said:

Then - and I mean this in the nicest way possible - but how on Earth are you able to quantify what the issue is here and whether it's the forums total traffic, the new classifieds or the old ones being shite? What are you comparing and - by extension - making a suggestion about?

Since the new classifieds have come out, I have listed 2 on the old classifieds, and 2 on the new classifieds. 

And I have received maybe 2-3 messages about these items. 

On previous listings on here I would get about 5-6 messages an item.  I thought it might be the second hand market in general, but it’s not.

I listed all the same items on 2 other places, and I must have received 20-30 messages in the same period, from the other places. 

I dont know if there is a correlation between the new classifieds and lack of interest or if it’s just people on here aren’t buying that much at the moment!

• Root Admin

Alrighty. Any idea why your old listing isn't showing on your profile? I would really like to be able to compare numbers of page views (which again I'm doing right now) with thread views from February. This should give an indication of any decline with the switch over.

18 minutes ago, proffrink said:

Could you expand upon the titles thing? AFAIK I extended them to two lines (from 1 initially) after someone complained (not sure if it was you), but we had to roll back the theme due to that bug with the cache that was crashing the whole site so it's possible I'll have to remake the changes.

Sure. First pic is the landing page for the classifieds , looks great

4427775A-6FC6-48B3-9717-2979104D434B.thumb.png.080c6a1570c7bcac4098ebf5325fc3c4.png

Second pic is what a drill down looks like, you can’t see what’s advertised

991AEDC4-28F8-4C1E-B257-DA4E4B58FDA8.thumb.png.43e2a6e1acbd30568655da994d1b3ad0.pngf

• Supporters
19 minutes ago, proffrink said:

Alrighty. Any idea why your old listing isn't showing on your profile? I would really like to be able to compare numbers of page views (which again I'm doing right now) with thread views from February. This should give an indication of any decline with the switch over.

This help?

22 hours ago, Prisce said:

I would also agree. 

Sold a couple of things quite easily before for what I would call "Normal" prices. 

I have put 3 RIFS up for sale recently and have dropped the price to what I would call "Almost a steal" prices and I haven't had any enquiries whatsoever. Either the market has slowed down significantly for whatever reason, or the new classifieds have affected sales. 

• Head Moderator

Whilst the old Classifieds were not so Gucci looking, it was easy to see each sub-forum heading in the Classifieds section and to read the full topic title when you opened each sub-forum.  I used to look at every advert because the new posts were much more obvious (and I had to moderate them more). The posts unread button was highlighted to show there were new posts.

I do not find the new Classifieds to be as visible, and I have to make much more effort to go look at them.  I would almost call them hidden because of the navigation to get there. You have to want to look at them, otherwise your eye just skips over the heading. I use Chrome and IE on the PC and the full title of each advert is not displayed. I like to see the full topic title so I know what gun or item is for sale.

• Root Admin
2 hours ago, Jedi_Master said:

Whilst the old Classifieds were not so Gucci looking, it was easy to see each sub-forum heading in the Classifieds section and to read the full topic title when you opened each sub-forum.  I used to look at every advert because the new posts were much more obvious (and I had to moderate them more). The posts unread button was highlighted to show there were new posts.

I do not find the new Classifieds to be as visible, and I have to make much more effort to go look at them.  I would almost call them hidden because of the navigation to get there. You have to want to look at them, otherwise your eye just skips over the heading. I use Chrome and IE on the PC and the full title of each advert is not displayed. I like to see the full topic title so I know what gun or item is for sale.

Can you drop me a screenshot too so I can see where it's cut off for you?

• Head Moderator
1 hour ago, proffrink said:

Can you drop me a screenshot too so I can see where it's cut off for you?

Realised that the issue with not seeing the full title is due to using a 35 inch monitor with two browsers open, each browser in a window, and not full screen.  Therefore, if the forum is at a certain size it does not display the same as stretching out the window or going full screen.

So problem is likely just to be the screen resolution/size which is why titles are clipped on the ipad.

Slide1.JPG

• Root Admin

In any case I'm not a huge fan of that category block leaving so much dead space below it. I might realign it so it sits above or below the main list. This could clear up a lot of issues for people using smaller monitors.

Also might be worth allowing the page to use more of your screen as right now it has a rigid margin at the left and right that only goes fluid (i.e. collapses) on very small screens.

I will split out/duplicate this existing template and edit it for you guys to try out over the weekend. I'll let you know when it's done and you can take a look.

• Root Admin

@Jedi_Master @ibo7 @Duff @Prisce @rocketdogbert @Asomodai

Mentioned you all as you only have 24 hours to view this for yourself due to me temporarily disabling the sidebar globally. I've also edited the template (see below).

Quick and dirty but if you want to see it go to the bottom of any page and switch to:

(1.3) 4.2 Mk3 (08/06/18)

screenshot-airsoft-forums.uk-2018-06-08-17-39-56.png

And you'll see this:

screenshot-airsoft-forums.uk-2018-06-08-17-41-43.png

• Root Admin

Also worth mentioning that the category options will still collapse on mobile etc. - this is basically a fix for the issue Jedi and you were having with all the whitespace being used up by the sidebar.

Archived