Buying blind (so to speak)

ProPain87
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Evening all, I’ve currently got a small wedge burning a hole in my pocket and after lots of looking and searching reviews etc I know what gun I want to buy but I’m struggling to find time to go to my nearest shop to look, feel and fire said gun. my main issue is that I don’t want to be disappointed with it once I get it as well as the possibility of the FPS being too high.

Do you guys buy guns blind or do you prefer to see it in the flesh before you put down your hard earned cash. 

If you have brought blind, have you ever been disappointed 

• Supporters

Don’t buy blind! If you do, make sure you get a few reviews from people first, it’s the only way I would buy blind.

• Supporters

I nearly always ‘buy blind’ there’s no shops anywhere near me so I have too .

as to FPS , I find out what it is before I buy it , if it’s over and the shop charges to down grade it I go elsewhere, don’t see why I should have to pay to let the shop comply with the rules ! 🤦‍♂️

I’m the same as Druid. There’s nothing local to me, but I make ‘informed’ decisions. If I want a new gun, I wil usually have watched every YouTube video about them and make a point of asking about issues before I buy. 

Same, lots and lots of research if it’s a new gun to me before I do anything, then I hunt out the best buy I can find.

Been disappointed a few times (Tippman, MK23, Hi-Capa) but if you buy well you don’t lose much selling on.

i also have three stores near by (5 mins walk, 20 min drive, 45 min drive)

2 hours ago, ProPain87 said:

Evening all, I’ve currently got a small wedge burning a hole in my pocket and after lots of looking and searching reviews etc I know what gun I want to buy but I’m struggling to find time to go to my nearest shop to look, feel and fire said gun. my main issue is that I don’t want to be disappointed with it once I get it as well as the possibility of the FPS being too high.

Do you guys buy guns blind or do you prefer to see it in the flesh before you put down your hard earned cash. 

If you have brought blind, have you ever been disappointed 

I haven't been disappointed with my blind purchases, especially if there are few alternatives and I do my research. 

Shooting too hot is fine especially if it's a quick change spring. If its something like C02 powered it might be problematic. 

I say go for it! 

• Supporters
18 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

Shooting too hot is fine especially if it's a quick change spring. 

Completly agree on the quick change (but again I think the retailer should supply a correct uk FPS spring with it) but I don’t agree that it’s not a problem if it’s hot , yes I can change a spring if I have too but I don’t see why I should have to do it . We all know that pretty much the universal rule in the UK is 350max for AEG’s , so personally I think it’s the retailers responsibility to ensure the gun I’m giving them a substantial amount of money for I can actually use it without have to do remedial work on it my self and voiding any warranty on it in the process ! 

You don’t buy a new car and expect to be told “oh by the way X,Y&Z are set to the Japanese settings so you’ll need to change them before you can drive it on UK roads , or you can pay use some more money to do it for you ? “ !

Bought my first cheap £35 springer blind, surprisingly good quality and never regretted it. Bought my second, £65 on a Co2 pistol that fired way too hot, luckily I had a legend on standby to mod it for me on the cheap. Last RIF was given to me, (well it was an upper/lower receiver, innards and a stock.) Spent around £70 on parts making it whole again.

In short, depends on how much you're willing to part with. I've never spent more than £65 on any of my RIFs. My next project will cost just $50 for the parts and around £100 for the donor GBBR MAC11A1.

• Head Moderator

I always see the gun in the flesh and handle it, test fire when possible too. Too much money to risk spending on an unknown item, even if TM.

Avoid American reviewers in general. 

“Don’t get a TM recoil, the FPS is too low. Get this echo one (jg rebrand) m4 because it shoots 400fps!”

avoid unboxings. He/she knows exactly the same amount about the product as you do at that point.. fuck all. 

2 minutes ago, Wo1f said:

Avoid American reviewers in general. 

“Don’t get a TM recoil, the FPS is too low. Get this echo one (jg rebrand) m4 because it shoots 400fps!”

avoid unboxings. He/she knows exactly the same amount about the product as you do at that point.. fuck all. 

I noticed this about American reviews when I was researching, apparently no matter how well a gun is made/ shoots it’s a piece of shit if it’s below 256793624 FPS 

In particular a review I watched about mid caps in which the guy wrote off a mid cap only because it midfed a few times firing .40s at 45rps on full auto for the whole mag 

That and barrel length.. really pisses me off that. Most airsoft store YouTube videos are guilty of that. 

“Nice long inner barrel so you can get those really long shots”

Thats not how it works, you moron!

i refuse to acknowledge anyone who suggests KWA’s hop is any good either 😂

Cheers for the reply’s 👍

I googled the heck out of it and watched as many YouTube videos as I could find but still couldn’t bring myself to spend a large amount without going to see a few guns first so I’ve  managed to sort out this afternoon to go and look, and hopefully buy 😬

I've been buying just about everything blind for most of my life.

Love it. Identify the product, check it out on the forums, use the card and receive it. One of the great joys of the modern world.

I never felt that going to a shop was better. Most shops aren't that well stocked anyway, and some will always try to sell you something you don't want, and they want to get shot of.

I am speaking mainly about airguns now. There are some good shops around but there is no shortage of rip off merchants.

Archived