Opinions please - bolt action electric rifle

Mattz
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I have a project in mind to create a bolt action electric bullpup sniper rifle.

I've had positive feedback including the awesome people who run my local site but one negative comment that has me slightly frustrated as I feel it's just being akward for the sake of it.

If the gun will only cycle and have the ability to shoot a single BB per bolt cock would you agree this classifies completely differently to an AEG/DMR as it will not perform semi auto under any circumstances.

The arguement I've received is if it contains a motor then it must be treated as an AEG which I feel is unfair. It might just be me being overly sensitive to criticism but I don't like the idea of someone planting negative thoughts for the sake of it.

Any opinions greatly appreciated. If I am wrong I would accept it but I feel that my idea is within the spirit of the game.

Hmm will the bolt have to move full distance and back before the rifle will fire again ? ( real steal distance not a couple of cm :P ) if so I would class it as a bolt 

Yes, thank you for the thoughts. I'm thinking m14 mags as they are pretty. So I was thinking 55-80mm depending on the internal spare available as the bolt is likely to be located towards the rear as it negates the requirement for a linkage. Do you think 55mm so slightly larger than the spent casing would be acceptable?

I admit, I did see a .22 triathalon style bolt action but realised that wouldn't be a reasonable justification for 450-500fps as it is not in the spirit of the sport.

• Supporters

If you have to cycle the bolt every time before firing then to me that should be allowed a full 500fps under sniper rifle rules regardless of how far you have to cycle the bolt.

Some (maybe all, never owned one myself) gas power sniper rifles don't need the bolt to be cycled fully in order to fire the next shot, some spring powered rifles have very short pulls too. As long as it takes a little while for the next chance to shoot and has an MED I'd personally be ok with it- ultimately it will be down to the site you play at's discretion though.

That was my thinking, it will be a fair distance to allow hop access. I do like the real steel idea as it is likely to be a Walther WA2000 inspired piece.

I've concluded the feed must be mechanically cycled to avoid any risk of multiple shots from control system failure as I realised if a specific component failed it risked full auto, although unlikely.

7 minutes ago, M_P said:

If you have to cycle the bolt every time before firing then to me that should be allowed a full 500fps under sniper rifle rules regardless of how far you have to cycle the bolt.

Some (maybe all, never owned one myself) gas power sniper rifles don't need the bolt to be cycled fully in order to fire the next shot, some spring powered rifles have very short pulls too. As long as it takes a little while for the next chance to shoot and has an MED I'd personally be ok with it- ultimately it will be down to the site you play at's discretion though.

That’s how I see it. I’ve got a VFC m40a5 gas sniper. I don’t have to cycle it properly but it’s still very much a bolt action. You can run a DMR so quickly it may as well be auto. Can’t do that with any manual cycling bolt.  I assume there is a cutoff that’s reset with a microswitch via the bolt cycling?

My site is on board but an influential person raised an objection and I fear that it might end up being an expensive ornament.

I wanted something that no one had seen before so put my engineering background to good use it is there in design but acceptance of new things can prove difficult.

1 minute ago, Wo1f said:

That’s how I see it. I’ve got a VFC m40a5 gas sniper. I don’t have to cycle it properly but it’s still very much a bolt action. You can run a DMR so quickly it may as well be auto. Can’t do that with any manual cycling bolt.  I assume there is a cutoff that’s reset with a microswitch via the bolt cycling?

The gas SVD is also part of my thought process as its straight pull co2 so very quick to cycle.

Something like that. I'm keeping the internals quiet until I have perfected the operation (it is still very much a work in progress situation) 

• Supporters

Fuck the "influential" person, he sounds like a narrowminded tossed, if nothing else build it for yourself.

If you build it they will cum :P

• Supporters

i'm confused, why bother having an electric action in a bolt gun? where's the benefit over cannibalising an existing spring/gas action to your needs?

as for the argument about it's classification it's a bolt gun plain and simple. it's not about how it acheives what it does, it's about what you have to do to operate it.

I did have some fairly "colourful" views of him joining the conversation then completely belittling on the idea.

The site director and one of the senior players consulted by the director thought is was a great idea providing it functioned as I described but without the head marshall approving it I wouldn't be allowed to use it.

I've only got back into skirmishing this year after a few years off and although I get on great with the head marshall I worried that he might be swayed by the small mindedness of one.

15 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

i'm confused, why bother having an electric action in a bolt gun? where's the benefit over cannibalising an existing spring/gas action to your needs?

as for the argument about it's classification it's a bolt gun plain and simple. it's not about how it acheives what it does, it's about what you have to do to operate it.

Thanks for your views.

It just seemed totally unique and I fancied making it.

A few reasons pushed me this way.

The mag capacity as a single mid cap would suffice same capacity as my SVD-S but not needing winding. It would be bullpup which apart from the SRS and the ugly SVD lovechild thing I'm not aware of any others that are compact scout rifles and I'm not ahuge fan of either. The gearbox setup is more suited to my design. Quick change springs to meet site limits. Swanky materials that aren't hugely stealthy but look sweet.

It's quite a long list but essentially my knowledge of AEG internals will transfer across. Gas fluctuation issues avoided. Lighter pull than a spring rifle. Ultimately, I'm being a bit of a smart arse and wanting something totally different 😉

Easiest thing to do is ask your site for the definition of a bolt action rifle. Providing yours meets that, then there’s no argument to be had. Even if there was, I’m sure everyone else would be happy at other sites. 

8 minutes ago, Wo1f said:

Easiest thing to do is ask your site for the definition of a bolt action rifle. Providing yours meets that, then there’s no argument to be had. Even if there was, I’m sure everyone else would be happy at other sites. 

You're right. I think I'm panicking too much. It just rattled me that someone could be so small minded to cause a problem when he doesn't even skirmish anymore just likes to be extremely akward.

I plan to spend a few hundred in materials alone and started worrying it would be for nothing.

Worst case scenario I could revert to aeg limits and make it single shot semi without too much effort.

• Supporters
36 minutes ago, Mattz said:

Thanks for your views.

It just seemed totally unique and I fancied making it.

A few reasons pushed me this way.

The mag capacity as a single mid cap would suffice same capacity as my SVD-S but not needing winding. It would be bullpup which apart from the SRS and the ugly SVD lovechild thing I'm not aware of any others that are compact scout rifles and I'm not ahuge fan of either. The gearbox setup is more suited to my design. Quick change springs to meet site limits. Swanky materials that aren't hugely stealthy but look sweet.

It's quite a long list but essentially my knowledge of AEG internals will transfer across. Gas fluctuation issues avoided. Lighter pull than a spring rifle. Ultimately, I'm being a bit of a smart arse and wanting something totally different 😉

fair enough, just seemed a bit of an odd choice of action when there were pre-made systems readily available.

if you're going fully custom why not hpa? would solve the gas fluctuation issues, be fps adjustable and you could look at utilising the tipmann mini tank jobbies as the reservoir so you wouldn't need to have a line into the gun.

On ‎05‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 20:49, Adolf Hamster said:

fair enough, just seemed a bit of an odd choice of action when there were pre-made systems readily available.

if you're going fully custom why not hpa? would solve the gas fluctuation issues, be fps adjustable and you could look at utilising the tipmann mini tank jobbies as the reservoir so you wouldn't need to have a line into the gun.

I will look into that, could well work. I haven't had much experience of HPA as it wasn't being used when I stop playing and since restarting I've seen the tippmans with rear tank but not looked into the controllers.

Most of the HPA I've seen have lines and tanks and that's not really me.

What do you think it would cost for HPA internals?

• Supporters

Me personally I’d go speak to the head marshal , talking to the organ grinder himself not one of his monkeys will give you a definitive yes or no answer ? And if he does say no at least then you can ask his train of thought as to why it’s a no and possibly come to a working compromise ? 

In your shoes though I’d still crack on with the build as well , as Duff said not the only site out there , just means worst comes to the worst you just don’t use it at that site ! 

On ‎05‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 21:11, Druid799 said:

Me personally I’d go speak to the head marshal , talking to the organ grinder himself not one of his monkeys will give you a definitive yes or no answer ? And if he does say no at least then you can ask his train of thought as to why it’s a no and possibly come to a working compromise ? 

In your shoes though I’d still crack on with the build as well , as Duff said not the only site out there , just means worst comes to the worst you just don’t use it at that site ! 

I have incorporated every possible feature to ensure realism and the head marshall is great so I think I shall continue and put my faith in his personality rather than the self assured objector. I guess I could use low caps if that sways him but I'll wait and see.

My dragunov chucking 0.45s at 300fps would surfice for that retribution, if he ever ventures out of the safe zone.

• Supporters
23 minutes ago, Mattz said:

I will look into that, could well work. I haven't had much experience of HPA as it wasn't being used when I stop playing and since restarting I've seen the tippmans with rear tank but not looked into the controllers.

Most of the HPA I've seen have lines and tanks and that's not really me.

What do you think it would cost for HPA internals?

yeah the whole line/tank thing puts me off, but a well tuned setup does have a whole different level of performance.

can't comment on cost otherwise probably a lot. i'd likely start with one of those rear tank tipmanns and work from there. the mini tanks won't last all that long but seeing as it's a sniper i doubt that's a problem.

1 minute ago, Adolf Hamster said:

yeah the whole line/tank thing puts me off, but a well tuned setup does have a whole different level of performance.

can't comment on cost otherwise probably a lot. i'd likely start with one of those rear tank tipmanns and work from there. the mini tanks won't last all that long but seeing as it's a sniper i doubt that's a problem.

I'll definitely look into it.

I have to able to ensure a manual bb feed and single action as my initial thought was modifying an ASG Mk1 ruger rifle but it just seemed boring to disable semi and alter the fps as they can be as hot as 600fps+ out of the box on green gas.

I'm extremely confident with aeg internals and it seemed the cheapest starting point.

Archived