Camouflage Advice

Gyrocile
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all,

I haven't been out to a site in the past year or so and have a full MTP loadout that I've used for a year or two before. Safe to say that I'm now tired of it and the MTP magic sparkle has entirely worn off, not least because it seems to be pretty shoddy for UK woodland (probably because it was designed for Afghanistan after all...)

I was just wondering what people would suggest for a bit rarer camo - I was considering buying some cheap surplus DPM as that is a bit rarer than MTP on sites nowadays, but I'm a bit more special snowflake than that. I've been checking out Flecktarn too, it's nice and cheap and a bit more special snowflake - but do you guys find that its too dark for UK woodland (especially in summer)?

Cheers in advance!

tl;dr MTP bores me, I wanna be a bit of a special snowflake but don't have a mad budget. Thanks.

I find DPM pretty effective in the woods , especially now they are getting denser. Flecktarn is bloody good pretty much all year round in the woods.

• Supporters

Flecktarn works great. 

Would you say Flecktarn is still effective in the summer months in UK woodland + is it darker than DPM? I think I'd rather go for Flecktarn but I can never tell if it's darker than DPM in photos online, not least because there's the browner Flecktarn palette that also seems to get use, but that does seem too brown imo 😛

• Supporters

old school dpm is great stuff, as is flecktarn.

i have found since i started running flecktarn that i've had a lot more of those "how the #?$! did he not see me!?" moments.

either would suit your needs, although i'd have said dpm was darker than flecktarn myself.

I find my Russian Partizan M reversible camo suit to be very effective in UK wood both in summer and autumn, but it can be a bit pricey depending on where you buy it from, I bought mine from here( https://grey-shop.ru/Camouflage/Russian-Sniper-Suits/Partizan-M) as they are very reliable every time I buy from them.  

4 minutes ago, Sniper780 said:

I find my Russian Partizan M reversible camo suit to be very effective in UK wood both in summer and autumn, but it can be a bit pricey depending on where you buy it from, I bought mine from here( https://grey-shop.ru/Camouflage/Russian-Sniper-Suits/Partizan-M) as they are very reliable every time I buy from them.  

I've been checking out some of the Russian camouflages and they do seem pretty good, I do especially like the SS-Leto pattern, but it is currently out of my price range unfortunately! Living the broke uni student life at the minute! Cheers for the website tho, they look to have some pretty decent prices. (That was until I just saw the minimum shipping cost 😨)

If you join The Northen Pact Comunity FaceBook page members get a discount at the store mentioned in the link. 

11 minutes ago, Sniper780 said:

If you join The Northen Pact Comunity FaceBook page members get a discount at the store mentioned in the link. 

Sweet cheers!

If you want to be special then go for this which I’ve tried to persuade people to try, but have been unsuccessful 

Image search Michael Yon in Afghanistan for more pictures 

These were the field expedient dyeing of desert DPM that prompted us to go to MTP

AC8D5FF8-1D32-4A15-9072-53A59156FD18.jpeg

If woodland is your thing, Pencott Greenzone is the daddy all year round, but can be expensive.

ATACS FG is outstanding spring through autumn.

Also witnessed Multicam Tropic a few times, impressive again spring through Autumn.

Personally I seem to be able to pick out Flectarn kit easily, I do like it visually but find it's only really effective in Autumn.

25 minutes ago, Davegolf said:

If woodland is your thing, Pencott Greenzone is the daddy all year round, but can be expensive.

ATACS FG is outstanding spring through autumn.

Also witnessed Multicam Tropic a few times, impressive again spring through Autumn.

Personally I seem to be able to pick out Flectarn kit easily, I do like it visually but find it's only really effective in Autumn.

Tbh, if I had enough spare cash at the moment to buy any camouflage it would probably be Pencott Greenzone. It's absolutely gorgeous but costs a bomb unfortunately. Same with ATACS FG, lovely but on the pricier end of the scale.

I spunked out on GZ, love it, love people's general annoyance at my invisibility :D

Everyones idea of cheap is different, but I think GZ trousers are cheap, the tops do pop up 2nd hand, but it's the pouches and stuff that rack up!

28 minutes ago, Davegolf said:

I spunked out on GZ, love it, love people's general annoyance at my invisibility :D

Everyones idea of cheap is different, but I think GZ trousers are cheap, the tops do pop up 2nd hand, but it's the pouches and stuff that rack up!

Ahhh man you're persuading me now, goodbye beer money! (Only joking, nothing can touch that.)

I'll keep my eyes peeled for any opportunity to pick some up, you got any suggestions for any websites that are good for it?

It took me 18months to pluck up the courage to dump £150 on a jacket I wear about 20 times a year!! But the LK PCS smock really is awesome, you can genuinely live in it!

I had a UBACS and a CSK shirt prior.

On ‎05‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 20:20, Gyrocile said:

Ahhh man you're persuading me now, goodbye beer money! (Only joking, nothing can touch that.)

I'll keep my eyes peeled for any opportunity to pick some up, you got any suggestions for any websites that are good for it?

Beer money is akin to the reserve tank in everyone's stomach for pudding!

Flectarn.com is good for trousers 

God I would like to buy some PenCott Greenzone but holy macaroni it does start to add up.

I think I'll get a set of surplus Flecktarn gear. Cheap and cheerful, and if I don't like it then I've only spent 30-odd quid for kit I'll wear every now and again in autumn games. Really can't figure out whether it's too dark though, I'd love to know if others think it's lighter than DPM :P.

The sites I normally play at are a mix of open ground and woodland. I vary my camo depending on the time of year. 

In the summer, German Flecktarn camo works great. It blends well with the green foliage and really breaks up the obvious outline of me and my kit. 

download_20180429_163332.thumb.jpg.d8be033920703c92ad3772660b35a478.jpg

FB_IMG_1527499428008.thumb.jpg.a762b4b67e05409a7786d0409ff00956.jpg

In the winter, I find the Desert variant of Flecktarn (Tropentarn) works best. It blends remarkably well amongst the dead leaves, brown foliage and mud present at that time of year. It even works in the snow!

download_20180422_153726.thumb.jpg.175b6733b038ba36d7f1fe53fdacc714.jpg

FB_IMG_1513188704957.jpg.d935b780bc01bebdcb8d1cac1fd325ae.jpg

Another option is the Danish version of Flecktarn. M84 or M96. It's really good for UK woodland environments. 

I've got a pair of Danish trousers, a jacket and a webbing yoke in that pattern for sale if you decide to go that way. 

IMG_20180409_192316.thumb.jpg.85dfb57eba8db7d84f32967ad02fee24.jpg

At the end of the day, go with what you like. There's nothing worse than shelling out on kit that you end up hating. 

Do your research and make sure that you can get load carrying equipment that matches (if that's your thing). It sucks when you buy a really nice set of kit then find that you can't get other gear to match. 

Set yourself a budget and work from there. My collection has absolutely exploded in size because I didn't do that...

If you're after any help/advice regarding German kit, drop me a line. I get most of mine from Germany so I get some real bargains! 

It's a close one on darkness, there isn't much between DPM and Flecktarn.

The Danish kit @Trojax88 as pictured works well too despite it having black in the pattern (a big no no in my eyes usually)

There is usually a host of used ATACS FG around, failing that the Danish gear is good value if you can get the tactical kit you need to go with.

On a side note you don't always need camo tactical kit, for example Coyote brown blends so well with GZ it's unbelievable, whereas olive drab is cack.

This opens you up to cheaper non specific gear that you can also transition to other load outs.

Also knowing how to maximise your camo in the field is a big thing. DPM can be extremely effective if you stick to shady areas and evergreen coloured fauna.

Flecktarn, M84 or Vegetato if feeling European exotic. 

CADPAT, MARPAT or Multicam Tropic if feeling more N.American.

Or check out the Japanese or Chinese patterns that crop up on eBay if feeling really exotic and unique. 

1 hour ago, Trojax88 said:

The sites I normally play at are a mix of open ground and woodland. I vary my camo depending on the time of year. 

In the summer, German Flecktarn camo works great. It blends well with the green foliage and really breaks up the obvious outline of me and my kit[...]

Another option is the Danish version of Flecktarn. M84 or M96. It's really good for UK woodland environments[...]

Do your research and make sure that you can get load carrying equipment that matches (if that's your thing). It sucks when you buy a really nice set of kit then find that you can't get other gear to match. 

Cheers for the advice, I'll probably drop you a bell at some point soon to get your advice, as I do think Flecktarn is the way for me following everyone's advice here.

1 hour ago, CKinnerley said:

Both being new, fleck is a bit darker overall, less tan and more dark brown in the pattern.  Wash anything enough it gets loads lighter though.

Ah okay thanks, I'll bear that in mind.

43 minutes ago, Davegolf said:

It's a close one on darkness, there isn't much between DPM and Flecktarn.

The Danish kit @Trojax88 as pictured works well too despite it having black in the pattern (a big no no in my eyes usually)

There is usually a host of used ATACS FG around, failing that the Danish gear is good value if you can get the tactical kit you need to go with...

I'll have a look on here and some other places for used ATACS FG, haven't been able to find any yet though :P

6 minutes ago, Dentonboy said:

Flecktarn, M84 or Vegetato if feeling European exotic...

I was also checking out Vegetato but wrote it off quickly for being too green. Am I wrong here?

• Moderators

wear what you like the look of and feel comfortable in, spend what you feel is right for what you will use it for,  personally i stick to Helikon stuff, i'll also wear the odd pair of combats out somewhere as well if clean!, love Pencott but wouldn't spend the money to wear it a few times a year, wife would kill me first, i went Atacs FG and MARPAT on discount codes!, but only trousers as wear a block colour top and chest rig

remember though, camo does very little in Airsoft at the distances we play, your eyes will pick up any movement....as we have discussed many many times :lol:

We just dress to look cool...well some of us do, i prefer to shoot people  :lol:

6 minutes ago, djben9 said:

remember though, camo does very little in Airsoft at the distances we play, your eyes will pick up any movement....as we have discussed many many times :lol:

Yeh movement is picked up for sure, but ive had on many occasions people literally stood a metre in front of me unaware of me, that's down to being still and the camo working :)

DPM and flecktarn for me.

Flecktarn can be cheap. I got a full set not so long ago, Trousers, shirt, Parka, 2 hats, Webbing and all my pouches for £70.

http://armyworld.pl/firm-eng-1142347122-Kontrakt-dla-Bundeswehr.html

That's a link to the site I got mine from, and it opens up a page just of the German army contract they have.

5zl to the £

Expect to pay more in shipping than the gear costs. I think the shipping on my order worked out £50 for gear £20 for shipping! Shipping is untracked and takes about 14 days.

Archived