Mosquitos. Evil.

sonofsammo
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters
On 6/4/2018 at 9:40 PM, Adolf Hamster said:

indeed, i remember seeing that about the disease they have, something about sterylising all the males but leaving the females intact to spread the disease as far as possible?

i recall the argument against doing it was along the lines of "we don't really know what it'd to to the ecosystem", like it's the first time humanity has played god with species.

More like the scientists found a gene that when activated will cause all the males to be sterile.

The gene is activated and the sterile males are released to mate with females and noting will ever come of it.

or something like that, personally i am all pro for this, mosquitos have killed more people than there had ever lived.

10 hours ago, Countryman said:

I actually suspect these are more likely to be horseflies

Nope.

Definitely mozzies.

Saw them everywhere.

Had a good close look at what was biting me while it was feeding. Then crushed them!

Never seen mozzies like that in the UK but you have my sympathy.

Regardless the DEET/ Junhle formula advice is solid but I suspect that’s bad enough to not risk that site until the weather changes and the wet spots, they hatch in, dry up.

On 6/5/2018 at 12:50 PM, Countryman said:

I actually suspect these are more likely to be horse flies.

Deet is your friend. Go for the extra strong Jungle Formula in Boots.

+1 for Jungle Formula here -  I used to do Dragon Boating and in the summer evenings the mossies on the river were ravenous and used to attack our legs especially. I sprayed them with JF which stinks and they didn't come near me.

Pretty costly, but definitely works.

On 6/5/2018 at 11:39 PM, sonofsammo said:

Nope.

Definitely mozzies.

Saw them everywhere.

Had a good close look at what was biting me while it was feeding. Then crushed them!

Yeah definately mosquito, horsefly bites blister like this....

8230.w900.r16-9.9b00984.jpg

damn i feel that pain :o I cant wear shorts because i get bitten so often, they seem to love me :( Guess i should invest in some anti mosquito repellent before i next play just in case

3 minutes ago, Osiris said:

damn i feel that pain :o I cant wear shorts because i get bitten so often, they seem to love me :( Guess i should invest in some anti mosquito repellent before i next play just in case

Believe me if they want to bite you a piece of fabric is not going to stop them. Layers however, will. Especially if they're made up of different material. Of course on a hot day, the only defence is to make yourself not appear tasty.

Lay off sugars and food with a lot of additives in and make up one of my magick hipster shakes, they work.

• Root Admin

From what I've learnt mosquitoes don't smell the sugar on you and have no capacity to do so. Indeed, humans don't leak sugar (not that that's what you're implying). They do sense CO2 and various amino acids from metabolism so there can be some correlation between eating more and getting bitten more, but ultimately if you're exerting yourself a lot during a day of aisoft whether you'd eaten a lot that morning or not just won't make a massive difference as you'll be pumping out the CO2. They do of course also rely pretty strongly on detecting movement and - IIRC - dark colours over light ones. It's the protein they want over sugar anyway as the females need it for making more eggs.

The thing about sugar mostly comes from collection and study of mosquitoes as sugar being fermented (and releasing a load of CO2 in the process) is one of the strongest attractants used by researchers.

Basically just wear some strong repellent.

• Supporters

I believe Mozzies are attracted to stagnant water.... so if your site has a couple of lakes or still pools of water in or around it, your likely to have a larger influx of mozzies. 

• Root Admin

More like they hatch from that water and naturally don't stray too far from where they're born anyway unless they're carried by the wind. They have no long term migratory patterns and most stagnant water is of course found in abandoned/low traffic urban areas or flatlands or densely forested areas where that water doesn't flow downstream/towards the water table.

Lots of the eggs that're hatching now were probably laid earlier this year or late last year, so after about 30 more days they'll be dead. Most females only live 20-60 days and males are dead within 2 weeks. The weather has only just spiked in temperature so the mosquito problem should get less obvious in the coming weeks.

Yep. Stinky garlic hippy shake. Didn't know they could smell Co2 maybe I should only use my AEG outdoors? 😂

22 hours ago, Duff said:

Yeah definately mosquito, horsefly bites blister like this....

8230.w900.r16-9.9b00984.jpg

Not to alarm anyone unduly, but if you get a rash like this. Please please please get checked for lyme disease. 

1 hour ago, Arwen said:

Not to alarm anyone unduly, but if you get a rash like this. Please please please get checked for lyme disease. 

Took my tick twister to every outside airsoft game. Haven't needed it yet.

Archived