Radio Scanner Review

JerseyRider
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys

I have recently been trying a few Apps out and this has to be one of the best i have come across so far. It dose what is says on the tin, it uses a internet connection to stream a range of channels. It features a range of channels from Police and Fire channels to Amateur radio channels from country's around the world.

From the word go i was impressed. It was easy to navigate around the App and it wasn't stupidly cluttered unlike some of the other scanners i have tried. The channels are split into lots of different categories like Genre, Area (location) and Source which make it easy to choose a channel that you might like

Also it features a "Top 50" list that shows the top 50 channels based on the amount of Listeners at the time. I found this really handy when looking for a channel with decent chatter

It has a search function, and can show local stations by using a fix on either your network connection or from your built in GPS. However my two favorite features are the ability to "favorite" channel as put them on your homepage as a widget and the "Alert" feature which means you can tag a channel with a alert which will go off when the listeners go over a set cap, say 300 listeners, this could mean that there is something interesting going on on your favorite channel.

The App comes in two versions, Free and Full Version. The only difference between the Free and Full is the Free has Ads at the bottom of the screen and you dont have the ability to use the "mini player" at the top of the screen while your not on the player screen

The downside to this is its a major energy eater clocking up about 66% of battery usage when receiving. Another downside is that the amount of UK based Channels is very very limited however the amount of interesting Yank channels makes up for this.

A deferent recommend for anyone interested in listening in on radio channels but cant afford a Amateur Radio Set

Search "Radio Scanner" on the android market to download

what i thought, i dont want US Marines bustin' down my door!

Nah you can tune in on a receiving basis only.... Transmitting is illegal.... But even so your not the one doing the tuning so i dont think you would be to blame :)

• AF-UK Founding Member

Just seems a bit odd that you could potentially tune in and listen to things you really shouldn't be hearing. If you were being chased by Police and you had tuned in to their radio you would always know there next move.. just seems a little dodgy if you get me :P

• Supporters
That is true... Its there fault for not encrypting it in the first place!! :P

Same can be said for Wi-fi but thats still illegal to connect to someone else's network.

So whenever i go to Maccy D's I am breaking the law?!

It ant illegal to connect to someone UNPROTECTED Network.... as long as you are not using it to gain access to any computers on the network

However if you try to bypass the Encryption then its illegal as your forcing entry into a protected network

• Supporters
So whenever i go to Maccy D's I am breaking the law?!

no because you have permission, and its a service, you aren't gaining unauthorised access because you are given the encryption key.

Legislation covering wi-fi theft

Communications Act 2003 Chapter 21, Section 125: dishonestly obtaining electronic communications services

(1) A person who -

(a) dishonestly obtains an electronic communications service, and

(B) does so with intent to avoid payment of a charge applicable to the provision of the service,

is guilty of an offence.

So for example, if you connected to your neighbours unprotected network, you would be committing the above.

Its a stupid law really, but its there when someone does what the bash the law book about.

Archived