Piston Advice

MisterG
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

3 minutes ago, Lozart said:

Wouldn't touch an ally piston with a barge pole, don't see the point. https://www.ak2m4.co.uk/internal-parts/pistons/ra-14-5-tooth-piston

Thanks, what piston head would go with that?

Cheers

G

• Supporters
2 minutes ago, MisterG said:

Thanks, what piston head would go with that?

Cheers

G

I'd go with this one (mostly because the silent one is out of stock). Sort your AoE while you're at it.

Just now, Lozart said:

I'd go with this one (mostly because the silent one is out of stock). Sort your AoE while you're at it.

Lin k missing?

Cheers

G

Thanks for the help.

Order placed.

Cheers

G

So I now have a new bone dry piston. 

First time having to lube AEG internals.

So this is what I am thinking based on what I have in my Nuprol kit (there may be better options, but trying to get a working gun for the weekend):

- drop of bearing oil in the bearing inside the piston conencted to the piston head.

- Silicone grease on the O ring, though seen some conflicting advice to use the PFTE grease, and I also have plastic lubricant spray

- Then there are the metal teeth on top the cylinder, do i just hope there is enough grease on the gears, or should I use one of the others from the list above?

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

G

P1040102.JPG

Sparingly silicone grease the bearing, O ring, piston rails/guides.

Smear inside of cylinder very thinly - almost residual.

Dont grease the piston teeth, gears will transfer.

Before any grease is applied remove the o ring from the piston head, pop the piston/head combo into the cylinder, rotate the gears so no teeth are likely to engage the piston, leave the spring out, put gearbox halves together, check the piston moves back and forth freely.

5 minutes ago, Davegolf said:

Sparingly silicone grease the bearing, O ring, piston rails/guides.

Smear inside of cylinder very thinly - almost residual.

Dont grease the piston teeth, gears will transfer.

Thanks, out of curriosity, what is the PFTE grease for?

Cheers

G

PTFE is an inert lubricant, is an additive to some silicone greases and a grease in its own right, either or is fine, personally I find silicone creates better dynamic O ring sealing.

Archived