Airsoft in Summer

MisterG
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Having started airsoft when it was 5 degrees and wet, was thinking I'll probably fry in the summer with the gear I have.

What do you use in the warmer months outside?

Was thinking DPM UBACS + DPM Assault vest or PLCE or MTP UBACS + Osprey MK4.  Any thoughts?  Will I still fry?

Cheers

G

• Supporters

I personally believe you’ll fry. I wear a thin multicam long sleeved top and multicam trousers, and I fry all year round! 

Depends on on what your like, how you play, what sites you play at etc. 

I’ve played in 20 degree plus heat in boots, trousers, UBACS and PLCE. If was hot and very sweaty but bearable. Just bought a plate carrier so will see how I get on with that. 

I run my usual stuff, but swap the long sleeved tops with tees (a-tacs fg if I'm playing some tournament or OD/tan/black if I'm training or for casual sundays)..

I also carry a lot of water, at least 2 liters..

Now I'm thinking less running, more lying prone 😉.  I'm playing next weekend, will probably be low twenties.

• Supporters

In Wales we wear the same gear all year round , except summer time of course , that’s usually the 2nd or 3rd wk in May then we mite take a jumper off ! 😳 

23 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

In Wales we wear the same gear all year round , except summer time of course , that’s usually the 2nd or 3rd wk in May then we mite take a jumper off ! 😳 

My kind of weather I don't like it when it goes over 20.

• Supporters

T-shirt (Coolmax ®  fabric, beige of course) and a tacticool belt and braces rather than a vest.

Water, water, water.  Water water. Water.

20 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Water, water, water.  Water water. Water.

I've got an MTP hydation backpack, and just got a new black cover for one, so should be good.

I can get the spout under my paintball mask, so should be good to go.

Cheers

G

• Mostly Retired Moderators

I've been known to wear a pair of olive green shorts and a brown army t-shirt in the summer. 

Too hot to be fucking about looking like a soldier, sweating so much that you're peeling your testicles off your inner thigh every five minutes 😂

• Supporters

Just plan smartly. If it's 28 degrees on the day I wouldn't particularly want to rock up wearing multiple layers. 

Wearing stuff like plate carriers will make it harder for your body to breath too, so take that into consideration.

I typically just run about in civvies during summer but I haven't noticed too big of a difference wearing a uniform. 

Oh and pack some sunscreen and water!

• Supporters
4 hours ago, Druid799 said:

To be fair, you'll never get cold in the valleys ;) 

image.jpg

• Supporters

Don’t knock it till you tried it ! “ I looooovvvveeeessssss ewe cos ewe’s fluffy ! “ 🤣

• Supporters

It's really not hot enough to be a big deal, stick to the UBACS with a belt rig if you've got one, have water... done.  I don't personally find shorts and short sleeves make any real difference, but you can always roll sleeves and MTP trousers are that cheap on ebay you can cut them down if you don't want to risk wrecking your everyday shorts.

The Osprey is designed to save people's lives in explosions, not to keep them cool - most armour carriers will retain a shit ton of heat given all the thick layers of fabric.  Even more so with general issue designs vs small PCs like the JPC.

34 degrees Celsius here this morning..

I may rebuild a belt loadout only for summer, and bring way more water than a single Klean Kanteen bottle 😂

It was a training day so we played 7 games without a single minute of break, before giving up on life at 11 AM..

PCs will act as an oven in the summer unless you run those cooling plates that you can even drink from..

Best bet would be a belt with the tiniest backpack you can find to hold a bladder full of freaking ice cold water..

• Supporters

As CK above has pointed out, within reason most clothing won't make a difference, & ubacs are the best compromise of keeping cool while retaining an element of camouflage & covering the pasty white bits that don't like bb hits.

To this end I've now got ubacs in od & black, as well as mtp & vegetate, covering most of my loadout/camo needs.

The bigger issue is your load bearing equipment, full vests may look very tacticool, but they insulate the fuck out of you, you'd probnbe cooler running around in a puffa jacket with a box mag, never mind people feel the need to cover every inch of mole.....= more weight.

We all do it, I know I did when I started playing bout 17 years ago, but now I'm older, wiser, & a lot fatter, so I've now redefined what I use, a loaded warrior dar chest rig with back panel/hydro for weekenders or low cap milsims, but also some much lighter rigs for regular gamedays, such as Costa style thigh rigs where I only run 3 hicaps & a couple of pistol megs (only use single shot so that's loads), & maybe a small slingpack for my water (& chokkie 😆), meaning most of my body is un-insulated, way cooler & much more comfortable.

21 minutes ago, CKinnerley said:

I'm in Italy along the northwestern coast..

Plate carrier to keep me warm in winter, lightweight mesh Viper "LA style" vest for the summer, job done :D  For the ridiculously hot days Ive got a belt rig too for total minimalism though its not as good for extended games where I need a lot of ammo/water/gas, though I suppose I could combine it with a camelbak style backpack.

• Supporters

Shorts, you will regret. 

We did Extreme CQB the other month if you remember, and my brother still has the scars from where I shot him with .25s at 2m with a glock....

Imagine a .48 to the inner thigh at 30M... your going to instantly regret that.

Not to mention nettles/twigs/thorns/glass/insects/potential pyros.

I wear a t shirt in the winter and the summer, with a long sleeve Nike Pro under it. Keeps you warm but regulates body temp and all the scienecy stuff. Haven't felt cold at the mall, haven't felt too hot outside just yet. 

I wear my Nike Pro under my trousers as well

Personally Under armour is too clingy and the Adidas one is too thick. 

I swapped to a chest rig as i find it ao much cooler   on my top half i just  half a base layer top   and on my bottum loose cheaper walking trouser.  When its rrqlly hot i only book on for half days  on one of my local site. So i get my pew fun but can avoid   the  hottest part of the day.

Only really seem to have issues  on skirmish say rather then the slwper paced milsim events. Werw you can  tine in fob to chill and cool down a bit 

Archived