New Player needing G36 Advice

MajinZero
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi All,

n00bie player here.....Sorry, you probably get this all time..(which gun should I get....)....However, I have read through the guides and did a few searches but couldn't find much on the G&G G36 which is what I have my eyes on...

I really like the G36, it seems there's a lot of recommendations for the JG G36, but my budget can go a bit further....

I would like to go to a local shop so I can at least get a feel for the guns, seems Surplus Store is the closest one to me, so only looking at ones in stock:

Is this worth the extra money? G&G GEC G36 (Seems to be 2 G&G's - not sure why this one is more expensive...cheaper one out of stock)

or there's the ICS G36 ?  or should I just go with the cheaper JG??

Any advice/thoughts is appreciated. Thanks

• Supporters

Welcome! :)

All of the brands you've mentioned make good quality guns. I'd definitely recommend going with the JG G36 as it's fairly inexpensive and an excellent starter gun. Do remember it's not just the gun you'll need - You'll want a battery, charger, spare magazines, eyepro and all the other bits and pieces that come with buying your own kit so I'd take off about £100 for that. 

Thanks!

Yes, Exactly....So that was going to be my next question once the gun was determined.....Advice on batteries/charger's? I have done quite a few games with a rental gun, so definitely realise I need at least 3 mags :)  I've already got eye pro etc and I've accounted for buying all the batteries/mags etc

Friends are all looking at Krytac's, but looks like they don't do G36's?? Am I going to regret getting the JG when comparing to the Krytac's??

• Supporters
37 minutes ago, MajinZero said:

Am I going to regret getting the JG when comparing to the Krytac's??

Absolutely not. At the end of the day it's not what gear you've got it's how you play that counts. I still use my stock CM16 and do just fine out on the field, even when competing against more expensive rifles. That being said if I had the cash for a Krytac Vector it would be hard for me to say no. ;)

As for batteries you'll want one that can fit in the handguard. This will vary depending on what model you get. You might get away with a 9.6v nunchuck but it could be a squeeze. I'd go with one of the VP Racing Battery 8.4V 1600mAh Ni-MH and a compatible smart charger like this. If you're buying from PatrolBase they usually throw in a battery and EU charger, but you may want to get your own as I'm unsure on the quality. 

• Supporters

Only g36's I've owned are TM & CA, both have been excellent, & both brands occasionally pop up on the forums, usually for a very good price.

To be honest, g36 are seriously underrated, if your looking at "old skool" technology then they're perfect, very solid sturdy reliable platforms, id consider tm or ca s/h packages, failing that try jg, essentially you'd be getting a great package for a very reasonable price.

• Mostly Retired Moderators

Also, bear in mind that Specna now make a G36.

It has a (very) quick change spring system and Blowback (though don't get too excited about that... It's very slight).

Fubar Bundy stock them over here, but you can find them on gunfire as well.

https://fubarbundy.co.uk/shop/specna-arms-sa-g12-g36c-ebb-aeg/

And they do all short and long variations - and some with cool futuristic keymod foregrips.

IMG_3976.jpg

eng_pl_SA-G14-EBB-Carbine-Replica-115221

eng_pl_SA-G11-EBB-carbine-replica-black-

eng_pl_SA-G10-KeyMod-EBB-carbine-replica

• Supporters

The JG G36 is... OK.  It comes with a usable 8.4V Nimh battery and a dumb charger, of sorts.  I like it as a platform, but my example isn't that responsive on semi (with the Nimh or 7.4V LIPO) and not particularly accurate at range.  My £75 CYMA M4 was actually slightly better as stock, before I "over optimised" it.

Still, it's a perfectly usable toy gun for under £100 (from TaiwanGun).  Since all G36s are going to be plastic bodied in one guise or another, I'm not sure why that G&G is worth £175 more.  A Maple Leaf rubber / nub and tightbore barrel for the JG are only going to run you ~£40.

28 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

but my example isn't that responsive on semi (with the Nimh or 7.4V LIPO) and not particularly accurate at range

This is what I want to avoid...I really like the G36 and would just like a consistent and reliable one out of the box, maybe foolishly I was thinking just go to a local shop, get some hands on and get the most expensive one there (G&G)....

I do really like the Specna G36 above with the keyhole foregrip (This means battery can be seen??). But I guess that would need to ordered online....which I guess isn't an issue...

Thanks for all the advice guys! 

If you want consistent and reliable out of the box, the best choice for any airsoft gun is a TM.

If you’re going to modify and improve over time, buying a TM is not cost effective, as you’ll be discarding expensive OEM parts, but if you dont intend to tinker, TM is always the best bet.

And resale ease and values are always better

• Mostly Retired Moderators
1 hour ago, MajinZero said:

I do really like the Specna G36 above with the keyhole foregrip (This means battery can be seen??)

That's easily fixed though..

0018789_gp-keymod-soft-rail-cover-a-sand

0018787_gp-keymod-soft-rail-cover-a-bk.j

• Supporters
1 hour ago, MajinZero said:

I really like the G36 and would just like a consistent and reliable one out of the box, maybe foolishly I was thinking just go to a local shop, get some hands on and get the most expensive one there (G&G)

My workmate's ~£135 G&G M4 is a pretty decent gun: smooth, snappy and consistent.

But twice that price for a G36, I dunno. I honestly can't see why that G36 is so expensive - maybe they're just not listing its merits properly?

I'd have the JG G36 as a starter gun without any hesitation.

The JG V3 gearbox is very solid. For the money you can't go wrong and it'll free up funds.

Going with the JG will let you get a full setup rather than just a nice  gun.

So JG G36 long variant £110. (taiwangun)

5-6x 150round mid cap magazines £30. (taiwangun)

Camo shirt, trousers, parka, and hat £40-60 DPM and flecktarn are the cheapest sets to look at. For the G36 Flecktarn would give the best look as it's the current German issue. (armyworld.pl)

PLCE webbing set £20-30 (armyworld.pl)

Have a look at the links in this thread

Batteries £30-40 (hobbyking/component shop)

Charger £20-30 (hobbyking/component shop)

Gun/kit bag £20-30 (taiwangun/ Armyworld)

Eye pro £15-50 perhaps more if you want to do CQB and need face protection as well.

Boots £50 Get some altberg defenders or similar.

Just the cheaper end of the market you are looking at an investment of at least £300. Going with a more expensive gun will just add to that initial start up cost.

The kit is as important as the gun.

Thanks for the info, appreciate the effort :) 

So I have already been collecting equipment while renting (as rental stuff was....lets say worn out). I have Revision Goggles (may look into others as these fog up a bit), Onetigris face mask, gloves, boots, camo trousers, camo jacket, pistol holster, speed loader, helmet (although I normally just wear a beanie), I have weapon box's (Which I bought for my Air pistol/rifle) - I am however missing a vest/webbing as I want to make sure I get the right stuff, need to have a look through the forum at some point to see what details I can find...too busy browsing the gun posts on the forum :P

I am leaning towards the Specna at the moment thanks to Lewis.....I am at a game on Sunday, will wonder around and see what guns the other guys have....might get swayed to something different..

i have the JG G36 and its a nice gun, it was my starter gun and one which i learnt to tech on, so has taken a lot of abuse both on and off the field - but still going strong 😂 -  for reference you can fit a nice 9.6v 1600 nunchuck without any problems

33 minutes ago, MajinZero said:

I have Revision Goggles (may look into others as these fog up a bit),

Try some revision anti fog wipes, I found they made a big difference.

I got mine off eBay.

I've tried fan goggles, and the wipes work better than the fan.  I've been using a paintball mask recently and no fogging.  I was going to mount fans on the mask as a mini project, but may not even bother now.

Cheers

G

Nice one! Ordered a pack of 10 to try out. I've got some anti-fog spray to also try this weekend, but a quick test and it still fogged a bit. Only on one side though, so I am hoping a decent clean/spray should hold it off

image.png.ec7ae7e386d81c8d77b1084f4371e7ff.png

I've got 2 G36 AEGs and I absolutely love them both. 

They're both EBB and shoot incredibly well.

To keep it simple, the Mrs calls them 'The Black One' (Umarex G36V) and 'The Green One' (S&T G36K in Dark Earth).

I would recommend both to anyone. The Umarex AEG is crazy long, but for a Bundeswehr impression you can't do much better than it.

Mods wise, the Umarex is totally standard just now. The S&T G36K has had a G&G green hop rubber and nub, as well as a full metal cylinder upgrade. Externally I've added the IDZ rail and stock kit as well.

It out-ranges the full length Umarex G36V by miles, despite being by far the cheaper of the 2 guns - so I'll be upgrading that next!

Rob3(cropped).jpg

IMG_20180418_210248.jpg

Right....First of all...Thanks guys for all the posts and advice....Had a few days to think on it all...

Replica

So I'm currently thinking about the Specna (£199) - It's £150 on Gun-fire but out of stock and can't seem to find other places that stock it. :(  Unless its not a good gun? Can't find too much on it....

Magazine

How do I know which Mags I can buy that will fit? For example, would these fit: G36 Magazine

Battery/Charger

From the posts above, would I still be looking at a couple of 8.4v NiMh - Which style fits in the G36 foregrip??

For the Charger, I know you guys have said smart charger, so thinking something like this.....or this

Upgrades

If I did ever want to upgrade a few bits in this gun, I assume it would be possible, would it just be a case of finding the right size part etc?

Accessories

Also looking for a Red Dot, angled foregrip, so any recommendations would be appreciated

Thanks All

• Supporters

I can't be too much help, but I'd say don't waste your money on nimh batteries.  Lipos can actually be had for less at https://hobbyking.com/en_us/batteries/airsoft.html

You'd need to measure up the available space in the Specna (or whatever you get) then get batteries to match. Sorry, I can only speak to my JG and wouldn't want to give you a bum steer.

I'm a big fan of reflex sights rather than enclosed dots.  Unless you're going for magnification, I can't see the benefit of enclosed sights.  I have a 3x42 enclosed sight but I don't really use it and just run reflex in both CQB and woodland.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201477003259 or equivalent work just fine - you can get examples for a few £££ less if you shop around.

Thanks All

Ordered the Specna from Fubar, they managed to answer some of my questions so will just have to see what it's like when it turns up.

Will keep you posted

Thanks Guys! Really happy with the Specna G36c.

Got the Reflex sight thanks to Rogerborg! (Also did order the lens protector)

Big fan of Seige, so had to add a little a charm to the gun for pics.

IMG-20180607-WA0001.jpg

Archived