Absolute newbie Surrey

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

After a lot of umm ahhh. Should I should I not deliberation finally made a decision to finally push myself to try out Airsoft like I always wanted to. Previously made so many excuses like not enough time, expensive. No one I know interested in doing it. I'm based near Gatwick so would likely be starting off around that kind of area to try out. What kind of age ranges usually you find turning up to these skirmishes? (I'm a bit more on the older side :P )I find it a little daunting going solo. Is it weird to be going solo? How toxic/friendly are the communities usually around the London side of Airsoft? I know in all sorts of gaming related there usually are a few bad apples that ruins it for everyone else. Just don't want to throw myself in without knowing what I'm getting myself into I guess?

• Supporters

Welcome! :)

Ages vary wildly. Kids as young as 12 and adults all the way up to 70 and beyond play at my locals. Lots of people play by themselves so I wouldn't worry about turning up alone. Just put on a smile and interact with the guys there. You'll be sure to meet new people who you'll click with. You'll be set into teams anyway so either way you'll be playing with friendlies. Can't speak for London as I've never played there but typically the Airsoft community are a sound bunch. You might meet one or two knobheads but the vast majority are just like you and I! They play the game for the game and just want to enjoy themselves. Taking that first step is indeed the hardest so I'd go down and get stuck in already! ;)

Hi

Welcome to the forum.

I'm fairly new to airsoft, third month of playing.  I was like you, and kept debating then one day just did it.  I went on my own, as no one I knew plays.

It's great fun, and I have found many friendly and helpful people, it seems to be the nature of the sport.

Cheers

G

Thanks guys for the warm welcome. Nice to know I'm not the only one then. Was worried I'd be more of a sore thumb standing out from the crowd going in alone :P But looking forward to get stuck in soon. Only other concern is how much of a money pit this hobby eventually be ( I have lack of self control when it comes to spending on hobby's lol) 

Welcome! From Surrey too :) I go mostly on my own, but when I go with people we normally just get separated anyway.

Like said by @Gepard You'll be on a team anyway so you'll interact with people regardless. Almost all the people I've met and dealt with are friendly

there are bad apples here and there but have fun as Airsoft is what you make of it really.

9 minutes ago, CarloBear said:

Welcome! From Surrey too :) I go mostly on my own, but when I go with people we normally just get separated anyway.

Like said by @Gepard You'll be on a team anyway so you'll interact with people regardless. Almost all the people I've met and dealt with are friendly

there are bad apples here and there but have fun as Airsoft is what you make of it really.

Nice! Maybe I'll run into you in one of the events sometime :P All this window browsing on equipment is making me drool. Although my wallet will not thank me for it...ugghhhh

Hi, 

Dont worry about being on your own, I’ve done my first 2 games by myself. If your based near Gatwick I’m guessing you’ll be going to Dogtag? If so let me know, I’m in burgess hill and will be at dogtag every other Sunday until I get frostbite! Be more than happy to meet up with you there if you’d like? 

Also in Surrey (just!), usually play at EAG Dorking and The Mall, two sites very much worth checking out! And depending where you are in Surrey, not too far either! :)

1 hour ago, E21A said:

Hi, 

Dont worry about being on your own, I’ve done my first 2 games by myself. If your based near Gatwick I’m guessing you’ll be going to Dogtag? If so let me know, I’m in burgess hill and will be at dogtag every other Sunday until I get frostbite! Be more than happy to meet up with you there if you’d like? 

I can't say I came across this. Although quick googling seems quite a reasonable distance for me to get to. Only other one I found was the one near croydon I think? Would probably try a half day at first though to get a taster maybe? 

42 minutes ago, Tiercel said:

Also in Surrey (just!), usually play at EAG Dorking and The Mall, two sites very much worth checking out! And depending where you are in Surrey, not too far either! :)

Heard good stuff about the Mall but seems a bit too far for me to head to Reading from near Gatwick. That said I did do the zombie experience there and it was fab. I may try The Mall at a later date if I get the addiction bug :P

2 minutes ago, HKRiceBucket said:

I can't say I came across this. Although quick googling seems quite a reasonable distance for me to get to. Only other one I found was the one near croydon I think? Would probably try a half day at first though to get a taster maybe? 

Heard good stuff about the Mall but seems a bit too far for me to head to Reading from near Gatwick. That said I did do the zombie experience there and it was fab. I may try The Mall at a later date if I get the addiction bug :P

Yea I’m only doing half days until I get my UKARA registration. The mall is also on my to do list. 

22 minutes ago, E21A said:

Yea I’m only doing half days until I get my UKARA registration. The mall is also on my to do list. 

Cool. Will pm you if you don't mind so as not to spam the thread :P

• Head Moderator

Welcome :).

Archived