New batteries - do they need any kind of preparation?

emilianoksa
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I can't remember where but I recently read something about new batteries needing to be recycled a couple of times before use.

Not sure what kind of batteries - possibly nimh. I assume it wasn't lipos because you can't fully discharge and then recharge them.

Is this a myth?

Are both nimh and lipo, life etc batteries ready to go from the shop? Can you just power them up and use them straight away? 

I always thought it was called a zero point  where a battery would "remember" its juice levels but after a bit of googling it turns out that  wasn't it. Turns out its this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_effect

Any new battery should be charged up first before use to maximize its potential lifespan to my knowledge. Don't know if you've seen in manuals, Say like a brand new cordless drill they say you should fully charge them first.

I've overheard other shooters say about not fully discharging batteries after sessions, charging them up straight afterwards. I don't know why as that will ruin their potential capacity much quicker.

• Supporters

Just use them and don't overthink them too much

you can worry about discharging them a little for what they call "storage voltage" but nahhhhhhhhh

try to remove them from your gun if possible if you have a fancy prog mosfet like Titan that may deplete in time

But if just a basic mosfet or non mosfet or fancy burst stuff in ya gun then no drain will take place in your gun

But perhaps remove from gun for long term storage - if just so to know where f*ck did that battery go ???

not a problem if you just got one or two guns - I just buy more guns & more lipo's than I'll ever need

just charge 'em, use 'em, apply some common sense and be done with it

try to remove them if you cremember/not playing for a while

but don't overdo the thinking too much I say

• Supporters

Also if your using one of those LiPo alarm gadgets to tell you if your batts running too low , they will also drain your battery if not disconnected . Many moons ago when I first started using LiPo and actually believed all the bollox about exploding , catching fire , opening a singularly if you don’t treat them with kid gloves on , etc , etc I used to use one , left it connected and following gameday eve went to charge and that one was dead as a dodo and blown up like a 5day old corpse in the sun ! 😫

Archived