AEP Lipo Batteries?

Greg147
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Morning all,

Apologies if this has already been answered somewhere. I had a search but couldn't find anything.

I've recently picked up a AEP lipo battery for my JG Skorpion, as pictured. The only thing is, I can't find any instructions on how to charge the thing. I've got a Imax B6AC lipo charger, but with the AEP-style connecter on the end rather than deans/tamiya, I'm a little stumped. Does anyone know how to safely connect one of these up?

Many thanks,

Greg

Vapex 7.4v 550mah AEP LiPo Battery

• Supporters

Plus it into the corresponding white socket on the right side of the machine and charge it on "LIPO BALANCE".

Ah cheers. I thought Lipos would go all broken/fiery if they weren't connected with both the balance lead and the actual connector. I'll give it a crack. Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

A month down the line I've finally had a chance to try this. Looks like my B6 won't accept charging it purely through the balance cable, I get a 'check main port' error when trying to go ahead. Unless I'm missing something, it seems like it needs to connect to the other end somehow. Any one have any experience getting this to work? Or do I need to look into a charger that will do it through the balance lead alone?

Okay, I think I've found what I need for this:

https://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/marui-mp7-discharge-adapter-for-500mah-battery

From what I can tell, I can plug the battery into that, and then that into the charger via mini Tamiya. Only concern I have is that it says 500mah in the product description, whereas the Lipos are 550mah - 650mah. 

Can anyone think of a reason this wouldn't work? I presume it just converts the connector ends to mini Tamiya, so this should be compatible for both Nihm and LiPo batteries, right?

• Supporters

I'd have thought so

I'd assume the mah number on the packaging is just referring to the stock TM size ones. Seems to me like it'd be the same kind of thing as a TM recoil battery adapter 

• Supporters
On 6/14/2018 at 12:23 PM, Greg147 said:

Looks like my B6 won't accept charging it purely through the balance cable,

That's unfortunate.  I charge my Lipos solely via the balance cable.  I mean, that is what the balance cable is for, right?  My charger doesn't even have a Deans / Mini-Tamiya port.

If you've not charged it up at all, I'd be a little concerned that it's gone under-voltage.  Do you have a multimeter that you can use to check the voltage across the gun-side terminals?

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Greg147 said:

Okay, I think I've found what I need for this:

https://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/marui-mp7-discharge-adapter-for-500mah-battery

From what I can tell, I can plug the battery into that, and then that into the charger via mini Tamiya. Only concern I have is that it says 500mah in the product description, whereas the Lipos are 550mah - 650mah. 

Can anyone think of a reason this wouldn't work? I presume it just converts the connector ends to mini Tamiya, so this should be compatible for both Nihm and LiPo batteries, right?

No that’s not what you need that’s for charging Nimh batteries , it clips in to it to charge .

You push the batt in to the block to charge it .

i ‘think’ you go in to the settings and change them to charge via the balance portion with  the B6 .

AE3E3698-6CE2-4A84-9B2A-4D642F60D2EE.jpeg

• Supporters
46 minutes ago, E21A said:

How odd, I was told and have read that you NEVER charge by the Tamiya/deans on a Lipo. Only ever the balance lead 

I've always done it by the normal lead and not had any issues for what it's worth

• Supporters
1 hour ago, E21A said:

How odd, I was told and have read that you NEVER charge by the Tamiya/deans on a Lipo. Only ever the balance lead 

Or else what's the balance lead there for?

A local gun tech did mention that if a smart charger is refusing to charge a lipo over the balance cable, then you can try giving it a very brief charge over the power cable, including putting a charger to nimh mode if absolutely necessary just to bump the voltage enough that the smart lipo mode will do the rest.  We're talking a few seconds here, not minutes.

• Supporters

If you only use a charge cable it’ll only charge and your cells will be un-balanced (would think it’ll shorten there life) all other would balance them ? 

• Supporters

Oh, something that I do understand is that if one cell does become more discharged then (particularly in an 11.1V 3-cell) the other cells can actually reverse-charge it with unpleasant consequences.

did-somebody-say-reverse-the-polarity.jp

Which is why I'd always use the balance lead even if I had a charger that would attempt to charge over the power lead.  Never go full Wesley.

Oh, aside, I rewired my AEP with a JST connector to use teeny cheap 300mAh 35/70C cells.  I've never even seen these drop-in replacements.  How much do they go for?

Thanks for the replies all!

On 6/16/2018 at 10:18 AM, Druid799 said:

No that’s not what you need that’s for charging Nimh batteries , it clips in to it to charge .

You push the batt in to the block to charge it .

i ‘think’ you go in to the settings and change them to charge via the balance portion with  the B6 .

Ah okie dokie. I suppose it doesn't make a difference that I'm using the AEP-Lipo adaptor, which makes the connectors the same as the NiMH ones? I'm a bit dense when it comes to batteries, does the charge going into a LiPo via the Tamiya/Deans cable differ from that of a NiMH?

*NEW Tokyo Marui Micro AEP to MP7/Skorpion/MAC10 Battery Adaptor for (Li-Po / LiPo) 7.4v 550mAh

From the looks of it there's no option to change the B6 to charge via balance port only (at least, that's what Google tells me!). It's a downside on a few reviews out there. Unless that's false, does anyone know of a decent charger that'll do the job?

22 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Oh, aside, I rewired my AEP with a JST connector to use teeny cheap 300mAh 35/70C cells.  I've never even seen these drop-in replacements.  How much do they go for?

I got mine for about £18, and the adaptor for £6 from airsoftworld.net. They sound good on paper. If only I could charge the damn thing! 😄

• Supporters

Wouldn’t have thought you could charge it ‘insitu’ with the adapter , no balancing ?

im the same as mr Borg I ripped the old batt connector out and stuck a mini jst in it so I can run it on mini batts from hobby king that cost like £3 each if that !  

My plan was to use that adaptor for the main charging cable, and the balancing lead as usual, so it would still have balancing. Being useless at all things electrical, I wasn't sure if i was missing something there that would end in a firy mess 😆

I may have to look into the JST thing. Sounds like it might be a tad out of my technical reach though. Maybe my local techie can rig something like that up, if the adaptor really is a no-go.

• Supporters

It's really very simple.  You don't even have to remove the existing battery connector (although I did), it's just a case of soldering the two wires from the JST connector onto the same spots as the current connector wires go.  5 minutes start to finish, including heating the soldering iron.  You could also use mini-Deans, possibly even full sized Deans, but the smaller Lipo batteries tend to come with JST connectors.

Archived