seeking an Airsoft Urban Mock Village for 3D imaging

Jack_Taylor
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello fellas,

I'm an aspiring drone operator, and essentially I'm looking for somewhere to hone my skills with drone. I'm into creating 3D maps and models, and need somewhere benign and empty of people to practice before trying to operate commercially in environments where the stakes are considerably higher. I had a light bulb moment the other day of using the mock aghani compounds and things that they use to train the military, but obviously, photography (and especially 3D maps) is presumably banned as it could give the enemy an insight into what our military was being trained to combat. And so my question is, is there anything similiar in the civilian Airsoft world? Ie a mock village/buildings where I can fly my drone around and make some maps. Ideally not in the middle of woods as the overhanging trees would mess up the model. Obviously would all be subject to me being able to convince the owner of said location to allow me to practice there, but it could benefit them if I could make them a digital 3D map of their environment/ 3D print that for them. 

Any insight greatly appreciated,

Hail Hydra

Kind Regards,

Jack

I'll also acknowledge that I should research and google myself which I am doing concurrently but figured nothing beats experience

• Supporters

Surely you'd be as well looking at abandoned industrial estates etc to have a practice?

Not sure on the legality but even an active industrial estate at night would give you empty buildings to practice on.

Otherwise if you want to look at airsoft then just google a few local sites and go speak to the owner, they might well be interested in a 3d model of the site to show newcomers where everything is.

• Moderators

contact firesupport and ask them about the urban assault site, they rent the site but im sure they could either say yes or no or pass on details....

• Mostly Retired Moderators

Find out what airsoft company is renting longmoor in the future and give them a shout?

Offer them a free drone group photo etc?

Or, if you live near Newbury, try greenham park?

It's an abandoned airfield/missile silo used for dog walking and more recent was the set they used as D'qar for the rebel alliance base in The force awakens. The falcon was there and everything!!

There's a company (I cannot recall the name) that offer drone filming and the like. I think that would be a cool service to offer at a skirmish.

You could take screen grabs of the action and then offer the pictures to those papped for a souvenir. As long as you didn't go all theme park and charge £10 for a print but you could offer digital copies as well as printed ones?! 

Just an idea once you've got some practice in....

• Supporters

We had a guy at RIFT Harmer Green(closed now) follow us around with a drone for the morning, was really quite cool.

Site wise, consider asking Red 1 if you could attend the “school” and film around there.. (school building in the morning “afghan” village in the afternoon etc) 

Cant see why people would say no, as it’s not costing them anything, just bare in mind bringing some eye pro with you!

I’m almost positive you have to have licences and such to operate a drone for business/financial gain. 

2 hours ago, L3wisD said:

Find out what airsoft company is renting longmoor in the future and give them a shout?

Offer them a free drone group photo etc?

Or, if you live near Newbury, try greenham park?

It's an abandoned airfield/missile silo used for dog walking and more recent was the set they used as D'qar for the rebel alliance base in The force awakens. The falcon was there and everything!!

The mod are not very keen on video and especially drones over current training areas.

One site was almost lost to public use because a couple of guys ignored all instructions about videoing, also disregarded the second warning when one of them was caught - they then secretly continued to film because “the second guy wasn’t told to turn it off” and published on YouTube 

This was at a time of particular high security and a shit storm ensued - resolved only because of the fast action by the event organisers and getting the videos pulled down 

Photos had been given the OK but video was an absolute no 

Organisers need everything authorised with DIO/MoD and 

1 hour ago, Duff said:

There's a company (I cannot recall the name) that offer drone filming and the like. I think that would be a cool service to offer at a skirmish.

You could take screen grabs of the action and then offer the pictures to those papped for a souvenir. As long as you didn't go all theme park and charge £10 for a print but you could offer digital copies as well as printed ones?! 

Just an idea once you've got some practice in....

Personally wouldnt want to risk it, takes one twat despite briefings and warnings to take a pot shot, get lucky and knock it out of action and into a lake/tree etc....

20 minutes ago, Albiscuit said:

Personally wouldnt want to risk it, takes one twat despite briefings and warnings to take a pot shot, get lucky and knock it out of action and into a lake/tree etc....

If you were doing it as a business, you would have to have insurance in place anyway so you would be covered in this eventuality.

Where abouts are you based mate?

If you're up north there's the Stan in Sheffield which is an old abandoned factory, and Skirmish run it - they also run Wentworth which sounds like exactly what you're after but I've not been there personally and I think it's an old prison or something.

Archived