TM pistols

emilianoksa
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Earlier today I contributed to a pistol thread on the General section of the forum. In it I explained why I couldn't bring myself to buy a TM pistol

I am a fickle person when it comes to guns and gear it is true, but I have been giving a lot of thought to this subject and feel I may be on the point of a miraculous conversion.

I know that all KJW, WE, KWC, ASG, KWA/KSC etc pistols will fail sooner or later. Unfortunateyl they tend to fail sooner.

I know that TM pistols have a reputation for excellent fit and finish, and for reliability. Unfortunately they have plastic externals. However experienced airsofters are so adamant about them being the best,  that I think I ought to try one. They say there is no going back once you do. I will find out if that is true.  

I play CQB exclusively - and will perhaps forever - and I have realised that pistols are very effective. I like the idea of running a couple of pistols in some games. From what I have heard, TM pistols will be less likely to let me down. And I suppose when it comes down to it, dependability is the most important consideration. Pistols are not the most reliable of airsoft weapons and TM are generally considered to be the not only reliable but accurate. 

So I am going to buy one, and would appreciate your advice. I have never liked the 1911 platform and hicapas don't really do it for me. Neither am I keen on Berettas M92s. I don't get excited about the looks of the Sig 226 but I could learn to live with them. The guns I favour most are the Glock series, the Beretta PX4, the H&K USP Compact and the H&K Socom which I would run without the silencer.

Are these particular models generally well regarded? I know the Socom is but what about the others?

What gas should I use with the TM pistols?

Are they all 1:1 scale. Will Fobus, Serpa and IMI holsters fit them?

Do people upgrade their Maruis mainly to get highter velocity or for aesthetic reasons?

Do the VFC guns run Marui a close second, or are they not much more reliable than the other guns with metal slides?

13 minutes ago, emilianoksa said:

Are these particular models generally well regarded? I know the Socom is but what about the others?

What gas should I use with the TM pistols?

Are they all 1:1 scale. Will Fobus, Serpa and IMI holsters fit them?

Do people upgrade their Maruis mainly to get highter velocity or for aesthetic reasons?

Do the VFC guns run Marui a close second, or are they not much more reliable than the other guns with metal slides?

Only have a M92 and MK23 TM pistols so all I can comment on reliably, but both work superbly, the M92 'feels' just right in my hand. But to try to answer your questions....

I use 144a but have heard the lower red version is more suited for TM mags and guns but have also heard and read a wide variety of recommendations for which gas in which gun!! (its a minefield)

To my knowledge all TMs are pretty much 1:1 so they should.

I personally wouldnt upgrade a TM pistol, I did to my MK23 and I dont think its done much (pretty sure I have done something wrong to be fair, but in hindsight I totally didnt need to do it) 

Tm pistol’s are 1:1 scale. The only difference is the slides are plastic. The advantage of that is better gas efficiency, snappier trigger response. TM’s also have magic fairy dust sprinkled onto their hop up chambers, so out of the box you’re going to see better range and accuracy with them for the most part. Their glocks I believe can develop some light striking issues, so personally I would pick something HK. Their new USP 9 is supposed to be very good, or the HK45 if you want something more modern looking. 

The TM mk23 is a whole different beast and I wouldn’t recommend it for fast CQB shooting. Due to it being non-blowback the trigger pull is much heavier, so it’s not ideal for fast successive shots. Where it shines is as a snipers backup. It’s incredibly quiet, very efficient (150+shots per gas fill) and very accurate at range. I have one with a hadron design TDC mod, crazy jet barrel and maple leaf bucking and it will throw BB’s out to 70m. It bridges the gap for snipers so they can accurately engage the enemy within their MED silently with precision. 

VFC, like WE are clones of the TM design (excluding their own unique stuff like the VFC FNX). I’ve had a WE g18c and I found it to be very inefficient and not very accurate. They can be upgraded, but at that point you may as well have just paid the extra £20 and bought the TM in the first place.. The FNX by VFC is the gun I run, and it’s man accurate out to around 35m which is more than enough for what I use it for (the mill for example the max range there is probably 15m). 

If I had my heart set on a Glock, I’d probably go for the co2 VFC one if I wanted a metal slide. More kick, no cooldown, and about 3 mags per co2 cartridge. 

Kwa/ksc... just don’t. I’ve had a KWA usp tactical and it was a 50/50 chance if I could hit you from across a room (and that was with the fancy ESD barrel/chamber set!). I had a vector for a week and that was the same. Utterly hopeless. 

In regards to gas.. I have run propane in my TM guns with no issue, but I fully expect them to go bang one day. If you’re worried about that, 144a is your solution. On a pistol, you don’t need to be pushing the boundaries of FPS limits because of their general use. 

TM pistols don't have to be plastic, there are so many companies that offer aftermarket slides and whatnot (pretty much every internal and external piece on their G17 series has an aftermarket "upgrade", for example).

Ace1Arms, Guarder, RWA, etc... make metal slides (varying prices, Guarder usually offering some of the cheaper ones). Buy these from Asian retailers, not the UK, unless you want to pay a lot more than needed. Better to just wait the extra 2 or 3 days for shipping from HK, for example (everyone seems to have it stuck in their mind that shipping from Asia takes 20 years...).

For CQB, you will not need to touch it internally as a stock TM will perform more than well enough. If you want better accuracy, the Maple Leaf hop unit and inner barrel set are a fantastic investment.

These were my ones - TM G17 base.

20180417_113636.jpg

20180417_113728.jpg

20180325_072812.jpg

Yeah TM are good mate, as with any manufacturer and any object, some models are better then others, but most of TM pistols are good. You can't best a hi-capa for customization that's for sure, in its standard form though right out the box it's not what I call great in visual/cosmetics but performance is great, the TM hi-capa gold match though is an all round better gun, better fit and finish, better quality in parts and visually and out performs the standard ones too.. But as your not a hi-capa or 1911 style fan. 

Check this one out then mate. It's awesome :)

http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/airsoft/tokyo-marui-no63-m-p9-v-custom-fde.htm#.WvzF5KDTU0M

I was the same a few years ago, whenever people said to me I should buy a TM I thought nope I will not like it, shooting RS I'm used to heavy and mostly metal guns and even the guns that are not all metal, with the mixture or either steel or high grade alloy and wood and high grade polymer I thought nope, I will think TM feels like toys, but I did not like the fact when I do shoot in the airgun and airsoft range at firearms club the full metal co2 powered or green fa's powered guns just did not perform well at gun club in the winter as it gets very cold being underground, so I thought sod it, buy a TM to try, the gold match was my first and it shocked me, yes its light but the performance just did it for me, its great all year round, and its not skipped a beat in over two year and 4500+ rounds later, even to the point not even had a jammed BB lol.. Now I have a few TM's and they out perform all the WE guns I've had or have. 

I know their not your kind of thing, but even my full metal steel and alloy custom built hi-capa out performs any WE or KWC or KJW blowback pistol I have or have ever had, out performs them all year round and in every way.. Plus if anything breaks I can just replace or upgrade. 

Dont get me wrong I'm no TM fan boy, I just like a good performing gun, Iike i say there's some TM's I don't like, I am still yet to feel a TM revolver I like. 

Get the M&p 9 v custom, leave it stock run it on green gas or pure propane and your love it all year round.. 

ATB Marc 

All my pistols bar the FNX are Tokyo Marui

I have a TM PX4, the XDM and a 1911 MEU - they all perform brilliantly and the range and accuracy is superb. I have previously owned the Tactical Master and despite being one of their earlier pistols it was still a great sidearm

I run them on 144a most of the time, but the do run fine on Abbey Predator Ultra gas which i use sometimes.

I have used the SOCOM and its surprisingly good!

• Supporters

Over the years (18+) I’ve had a lot of pistols in and out of my hands and the two I’ve always kept and never sold on ? A KSC M9 And a WE 1911A1 ! The M9 is the very first pistol i bought and the 1911 was from the original batch sold by landwarrior when they first arrived on our shores and that was way before the VCR came in , and there both still running fine . I’ve always regularly stripped/cleaned and oiled all my gas guns when ever there used and none have let me down . I recently acquired a TM 226 (the first TM pistol I’ve ever owned !) And yes you can see why there a premium price and what your paying for . So only real advice I’d give about makes and models is look at lots of reviews, message the posters if you have any questions in relation to there review , and then totally ignore everything and buy what you fancy ! 😆

I love my TM HK45 Tactical...quality is superb compared to some of the pistols I've seen at games.  Run mine on Greengas no problems at all.

Also I use a real steel IMI holster..but I found the real steel gun is slightly slimmer than the TM one and my gun did not fit.... I thought about sanding the inside of the holster to fit..but an easier solution was to boil it in a pan of water for a minute, let the polymer soften, then dry it and stick the gun in...you will find it fits and as the holster cools down, it adjusts to the fit of the TM.  (Had to dunk it a few times and now it's perfect)  :)

Thanks very much to you all for some excellent advice.

I will indeed try a TM.

I've sold a lot of things recently and have the funds to stretch to a couple of pistols.

I thought about trying a VFC PPQ  but, while the externals of their gbbs are said to be superb, the internals have failed to impress some reviewers.

The ICS pistol doesn't get mentioned much. Is it not much good? 

It’s not that it’s not good. It’s just not a replica of anything real as far as I’m aware. That’s a big thing for a lot of people. 

Is is there any particular style of gun you have your heart set on?

I have a TM M92F, TM M9A1, TM P226E2, TM Detonics and TM Mk. 23.

All are superb. 

The P226E2 is the best I would say. Very comfortable, intuitive and great range/accuracy. 

My brother loves his TM Glock 18C.

Buy TM and don't look back. 

• Moderators

I have a TM 17, always liked glocks so my first pistol had to be one, plus i have an M4 so gotta be common!

Brother has a Hi-capa and loves it

now where we say they are 1:1 rep....i had to sand the hell out of my IMI holster to fit the glock 17 in, and it still needs a little more work, so maybe check what holster you want as well or have so your not having to do similar work....

i'd still buy it though!!, great fun :lol:

next up im copying Jedi and looking at the MK23, but also like the P226 ....choices;)

I’ve heard the TM p226 is very good. They don’t do anything for me aesthetically, but I know of a few people who have told me they’re the best pistol they have.  

• Supporters

The Glocks have always been fatter than real ones, you need a G21/22 holster for the .40 firearm.  Pretty much the rest of the line is 1:1 though, certainly the Sig line.

• Moderators

yeah i learnt the hard way!...but its good now all be it the holster is now lighter as well with all the sanding i did! haha

can you recommend any other quick release ones that will fit the standard TM glk 17?, i was looking earlier on tactical-kit

Archived