Recommended sites in Scotland

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Looking for some recommendations for sites in Scotland.

I've been playing exclusively at The Depot for the past few months, don't get me wrong, I love it there but keen to get some outdoor games under my belt. I'm based in Glasgow but willing to travel across the central belt.

In your opinions, what are the best sites in Scotland and why?

Cheers,

AP

I've yet to play there, but Nomad gets very good reviews from everyone I've spoken to. If you fancy heading north then Viper Strike in Dundee is a good laugh. It's urban/scrub-land so has elements of both woodland, open areas and cqb. Numbers are usually always 50+ there at this time of year so some good sized games can be had. 

8 minutes ago, Arwen said:

Nomad gets very good reviews from everyone I've spoken to

I think I'll give this a go on the 3rd. Not too far away and like you, I've heard good things.

9 minutes ago, Arwen said:

Viper Strike in Dundee

I wasn't sure if this was still going. Looking at their website, I'd need Marty McFly and the Doc to make their next game!

Capture.thumb.PNG.94130e74569f43d0e081c11b06764118.PNG

I like the look of the site, will add it to the list, cheers.

Thanks @Guyver1 will be sure to check it out in the near future. Bought my gun from the guys at LWA so only right that i try out their game day! 

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update from my visit to Nomad Woodlands on Sunday for anyone who is interested.

Access

Following the directions on the website and punching the postcode into the Sat Nav had me there in no time at all, very easy to find. There is plenty of car parking space just outside the safezone (no long trek required) 

Facilities

A covered courtyard makes up the safezone with a decent amount of space to get setup. There is also a small shop front for anyone looking to buy BB's (bio only site). They had a new batch of Proball bio BB's in stock at a really good price (£11 for 4000 .25g) and I didn't have any problems running them in my gun so happy days.  Lunch can be provided for a small fee and there are shops not too far away from the site should you need to pick anything up to eat. There were around 40 players attending on Sunday which felt like the right amount of people without the safezone getting too overcrowded.

Site

This was my first outdoor game so I don't have anything to compare it to but, I thought the site was very well laid out with plenty of natural and man-made structures/cover. The recent weather has resulted in plenty of lush foliage, perfect for snipers and sneaky maneuvers. The overall size of the site seemed just right to me, providing enough space without ever feeling like you were too far away from the action.

Games

Good range of game modes on the day (CTF, Bomb, Pilot Down with Traitors, TDM etc) and they were turned around quickly with good communication from the marshals. 

Players

I was flying solo on Sunday to run in my new gun so was a little anxious but I needn't have worried. Everyone was friendly, chatty and welcoming and I don't recall a single moment of anyone not calling their hits or cheat calling! Highlight of the day was someone from the other team running around with "Ride of the Valkyries" blaring out of their back which made for easy target acquisition! (if you could stop laughing)

Overall

Really enjoyed my day at Nomad and will definitely be back in the near future. Great bunch of guys running the site and a great bunch of players. Highly recommend to anyone in the area looking for a good outdoor game.

• Supporters

Aaaaand Nomad have just lost their contract for the site.  Last game will be 1st July, they're bringing forwards their next milsim.  Dammit.

6 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Aaaaand Nomad have just lost their contract for the site.  Last game will be 1st July, they're bringing forwards their next milsim.  Dammit.

FFS that's a kick in the nuts. Hope they manage to find a new site soon. I got the impression that the landowner was pretty difficult to get on with.

• Supporters

I get the impression that the landowner is a mental.  I might as well say it now, since it seems the contract is irrevocably lost.  They'd put loads of work into the site as well.

Russell said he'd get some news out about it ASAP, but he was pretty unequivocal that there was no rescuing it and July 1st is the last day.  Let's see how well the "bio only" is enforced then. ;)

• 5 weeks later...

As promised, following my trip to Section 8 yesterday, I thought I would share my experience with new/old players who are considering heading up to this site:

Access

Directions to the site are easy to follow so no issues there, just be wary that the "road" leading up from Dura Road is extremely rough. If you have a low slung car or stiff suspension, be prepared for a rough ride! Parking is limited to the dirt road just outside the site and it is a short walk up to the safe zone. 

Facilities

Everything you could want is onsite. There are a couple of test ranges to fine tune hop up and assess effective range, as well as an onsite food stall with good quality hot food, drinks, crisps etc. There is also an onsite technician if you need help with anything as well as being able to purchase BB's (Draft Club) and rental equipment. I brought my own kit on the day but the rental packages looked pretty good with Sniper rifle options complete with Ghillie suits, should you wish to unleash your inner Novritsch (Wwwwhats up guyyyss).

Site

First things first, this site is bloody massive, which is either a blessing or a curse depending on your equipment, fitness levels etc. Make sure that you wear sturdy, good quality footwear as the ground can be really challenging in places with plenty of opportunity for you to turn an ankle or worse. The majority of the site is thick woodland with thick brush and some open, tall grassland areas. There are a few structures on the site but I think it would benefit from a few more  - even if just to vary the game modes a little. Due to the size and nature of the site, I would say it is more geared towards snipers/DMR's but don't let that put you off, just be prepared to alter your tactics a little to get into closer engagement distances for AEG's. I was running a red dot on the day and will definitely consider using a magnified scope for my next visit to help with target acquisition and ageing eyesight.

Games

Game modes were the usual fare of capture the flag, defend the base, domination etc. As mentioned above, you can spend a lot of time walking back and forth from the games which is one of the cons of having such a large playing area, as it does eat into time spent in game. Plenty of marshals in game keeping people honest and turning the games around as quickly as they could and all were approachable and helpful for this first timer. If I could nit pick at anything, I think the game modes could do with a refresh, but they do accept game suggestions so will send them through and see what they say.

Players

I'd say there were between 80-90 players on Sunday and it's safe to say you could have double that on a gameday without a problem giving the size of the site. Good mixture of seasoned players and people just getting into Airsoft. If like us, this is your first time at Section 8, spend some time following the more seasoned players to gain a better understanding of the site, it will save you wondering around aimlessly. There were a couple of incidences of people not calling their hits but when does that not happen? In all fairness, it is difficult to confirm a hit when you are trying to push bb's through the thick foliage. If you are coming along as a group, radios would be recommended.

Overall

Overall it was another great day out and I'll be back to Section 8 for the next gameday. Despite the slight drawbacks of such a large site, it is worth a visit, even if it didn't fully live up to the hype for me.

Hope the review is helpful to anyone considering heading along to Section 8 and if you have been playing somewhere else that you would like to review, feel free. It would be great to get them on this thread to help other players find the right sites for them.

• 9 months later...

@apexpredator i know this is a rather old post however there is Fife War Games in Crail. I feel this is a great site with brilliant marshals i would defo give it a visit if you can. 

18 hours ago, Mad Rag said:

@apexpredator i know this is a rather old post however there is Fife War Games in Crail. I feel this is a great site with brilliant marshals i would defo give it a visit if you can. 

Thanks for the suggestion @Mad Rag, heard good things about FWG from Sam at KoA. Will try to get up and visit in the near future, haven't had the chance to play as much as I'd like this year due to other commitments, hopefully back on the field in the next few weeks!

52 minutes ago, apexpredator said:

Thanks for the suggestion @Mad Rag, heard good things about FWG from Sam at KoA. Will try to get up and visit in the near future, haven't had the chance to play as much as I'd like this year due to other commitments, hopefully back on the field in the next few weeks!

The guys are great at fwg it's a really good site with good clientele. Range of games are good l. Koa guys are brilliant one of the guys in there AJ he marshals fwg.

Archived