What Pistol would you recommend?

Cal0303
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey all,

I'm looking at purchasing my first ever pistol, and was wondering if any of you would be able to help me out with any suggestions?

I've currently been looking at Tokyo Marui Pistols such as a HiCapa 5.1, HK45 tac as this is what I've been able to put my hands on so far to test.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I'm selling a TM HK 45 actually 🤗 with a tracer and 3 mags

Anyway, I really really like the hk45, it's great but pricey.

The mk23 is always a favourite for people and generally is reliable.

A lot of people also use glocks (I'd go TM) if you can afford it as again, it's a TM and will serve you better.

I had an m92 (TM) which was really nice but it lacked and ability to put any type of rail attachment or silencer at all on it

My advice is buy mine... No, go to a shop, feel everything and see which you find easiest to hold, like the feel of and finally what's within your budget 

Virtually all GBB TM pistols will perform the same. I would just pick the one you like the look of, or the one that is the most ergonomic for your needs (grips, irons, rail space etc) I like the look of the new USP 9 and the other HK stuff personally

The very latest TM G22 has an upgraded trigger bar, steel insert in the mag release and steel insert in the slide fir the slide catch.

I expect the new G19 from TM will have all of these, as well as the new hop adjustment through the ejector port so you don’t have to remove the slide

• Supporters

Pretty much anything by Tokyo Marui. I like the Glocks personally but I'm also a fan of the hi-capa.

Firstly figure out what type of pistol you want to run gbb/non gbb (mk23's pluss a couple of otheres) / aep ( dont discount them as in winter they remain reliable) /springer (pmsl). What platform you like eg glock, 1911's, desert eagle and so many more. You then have to figure what your budget is as what you want may no nessacerraly be affordable . Second hand can be a good way to get what you want a a decent price but there are quite a few out there who say great condition but have never serviced it. Iv had a few iv had to strip ,clean and lube to get them to run properly. Regular maintenance on pistols is an absolute necessity.  My pistols get cleaned and lubed properly after every game. Seems like a ball ache but i never get let down by them. How important is make? Yest tm make some great pistols but in most cases im not sure the price hike is justified.  I have tm's, we's , secutor, cyma aep and even a poseidon  (posedion absolutly amaizing and out of box id put it against any other pistol), there are just so many out there. Try a few see how they feel dont get too caught get too caught up in the "MAKE" snobbery  find somthing you enjoy and run it. If you like it then you can do some upgrades on it anyway.

If you don't want a TM , there are some decent alternatives.

The ASG CZ P09 has developed quite a following on both sides of the pond.  Some of the Umarex guns made by KWA and VFC (H&Ks and Walthers) are said to be very well built, but are expensive.

At the slightly cheaper end of the market all metal guns by KJW are well regarded. WE are a bit hit and miss, but the Glocks are popular and generally considered one of their more successful pistols.

TM are apparently superb performers, but I just can't bring myself to part with all that money for a gun with a plastic slide.

Does anybody know if the Umarex Glocks with full trades have lived up to the hype? Are they worth 60 quid more than a WE?

The licenced glocks are made by VFC. You’re paying a premium for the trademarks. They are TM clones as far as I’m aware, so upgradable. I have a VFC FNX which I love, but I’m under no illusions that it will outperform a plastic slide TM. 

I cant stand KWA pistols. Unless you’re using them at <10m permanently I’d leave them. Their hop design is crap. 

My thought process on buying any gas gun is this: Is it efficient? Will it take a maple leaf bucking? If the answer is yes to both then it makes the cut. 

Tokyo Marui

Tokyo Marui

Tokyo Marui

... Or a WE Glock. 

I like Airsoft Mike, but he tends to be enthusiastic about most of the things he reviews.

I'm not really interested in paying for trades. Pity VFC don't offer them directly to the public without trades, but they may be are under contract not to do so. I've heard their Walther PPQ is very good, and Umarex is Walther so they don't have to pay to use trades on that one.

I know the TM are the best but they are overprice outside Japan. I know all gbb pistols are toys, but the TM guns leave you in no doubt of that. They don't have enough weight for me. Many years ago I actually owned a real steel Glock so a lightweight plastic copy would be a disappointment. And airsoft isn't just about skirmishing, is it? I love to play but often just shoot my pistols at home. 

The WE Glock will take cloverleaf barrel and hop up I believe. It is also said to need a better nozzle or maybe complete blow back unit.

I was going to go for a CZ P09, but I don't like the look of that hop up screw, and KJW mags have a reputation for leaking. So I just might try the WE Glock instead. Or maybe play safe and get the Walther PPQ.

They all develop faults (well not TMs), but some faster than others.

G&G have just introduced their gbb Beretta. Looks interesting.

ICS have a gbb too. Haven't heard much about it.

But if you can live with a plastic slide, TM are always going to be the best.

• Head Moderator
22 hours ago, Cal0303 said:

I've currently been looking at Tokyo Marui Pistols such as a HiCapa 5.1, HK45 tac as this is what I've been able to put my hands on so far to test.

Both those pistols are good, and would be my recommendation along with the Mk23.  As said by others, TM pistols every time.  Any make snobbery is simply because they are well made, consistent performers, and worth the money.  

I think I must be one of the most fickle people around. I have actually spent the best part of a day thinking about TM pistols and I am on the brink of changing my mind. 

So much so that I will start a new thread on the guns and gear section, for my own benefit.

• Supporters

personally i'd reccommend the we p226, if only because mine's never let me down yet.

i'd agree on kwa, my 1911 from them genuinely couldn't hit a barn door at 20 paces and the mags have a nasty habit of wanting to leak constantly.

although personally i like a bit of meat in my pistols so i tend to avoid tm for that reason, although i don't doubt their ability to shoot straight.

I have a WE glock 19 and before that i had a TM P226, both very good guns imo! i dont use pistols at any sort of "range" because i'm a shit shot with them to be frank :P so "pointability" is more important than range and accuracy for me.

I also have a ancient broken TM Hicapa 5.1 which has an enormous amount of aftermarket parts available so if you want some tricked out chrome and gold cannon that might be worth a look!

I love my WE Little Bird due to the kick it gives and it's pretty accurate at the indoor ranges I use it at. It does go through gas like it's going out of fashion though. 

I love my TM MK23 socom for the sneaky kills and the fact it uses so little gas. It is however massive in my small hands... 

Both have their merits and pit falls, I choice which to use depending on what way I want to play. My advice would be to get a pistol that feels right in your hands. Then focus on what would best fit your playing style.

To be honest; most TM pistols will perform the same, just different aesthetics.

I have my WE G17 and love it to bits. Had it almost two years, never had an issue with it, never had mags leak etc etc, it’s always been reliable.

But go to a game/shop, have a feel at the other pistols and see what is comfortable in your hands and go through there :)

Well at the moment I got a we G18C (select fire one) and it hasn’t let me down for 10 game days I’ve used it, apart from when it was in the minuses and the gas vented. But I also have a co2 desert eagle shooting at 365-370 just with within legal limits I believe and it is  an absolute beast got a hell of a kick and the range is awesome it was out shooting most aegs and a few Basr.

On 5/15/2018 at 10:40 PM, Wo1f said:

Virtually all GBB TM pistols will perform the same. I would just pick the one you like the look of, or the one that is the most ergonomic for your needs (grips, irons, rail space etc) I like the look of the new USP 9 and the other HK stuff personally

You're right but from what i've seen over the last few years there are two stand-outs in terms of performance that i've seen (out of the box anyway) - 

The KJW (or equivalent) MK23 offers incredible range and accuracy for the money (I think they're only about £60!!). It's a bit crap on gas efficiency though.

The ASG CZ Shadow is incredible - gas efficiency, accuracy and range straight outa the box, plus it can hop .32g(heavy) bbs noi problem if you want it to.

PS I don't own either of those so no bias here, I own a TM G17, WE g18, g19 and XDM compact - all of which perform worse than the two mentioned above and, as quoted by Wo1f... perform about the same as eachother.

The clone mk23 is good, but if you say it’s not gas efficient then for me it’s no good. You can certainly make them shoot better though. 

I shall have to look look at the ASG shadow...🧐 My fnx will hop a .32 though

edit: after some research you can keep the asg shadow..

I would recommend the KWC G17c..... if it didn't need modification to restrict it within UK fps limits. Chrono'ed at 394 minimum, after the mod it was steady at 294. Simple enough to do (if you know what you are doing) but yeah if you're happy to find someone to fix the fps for you then I'd 100% recommend it. It's fun to shoot and looks Guuci asf too.

As others have said, just go with what you like the look of, but don't discount he second hand market.

I got a TM PX4, with 4 mags and its awesome, its a chunky side arm and looks cool, nicely different to a glock or hicapa 

Archived