I’ve just submitted my first small claims court paperwork, and it feels good

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

What the twit doesn't realise is that the CCJ will stay on his credit record, so if he wants a bank loan, mortgage or a new credit card then that will show up and will probably mean he will be declined, unless he pays up very quickly.  If he doesn't, then consider using the County Court Bailiff to attend at his home.. Unfortunately they are not as relentless at the High Court Bailiffs (think "Can't pay, we'll take it away") as they deal with larger amounts and have greater powers of enforcement.

2 minutes ago, RR01 said:

What the twit doesn't realise is that the CCJ will stay on his credit record, so if he wants a bank loan, mortgage or a new credit card then that will show up and will probably mean he will be declined, unless he pays up very quickly.  If he doesn't, then consider using the County Court Bailiff to attend at his home.. Unfortunately they are not as relentless at the High Court Bailiffs (think "Can't pay, we'll take it away") as they deal with larger amounts and have greater powers of enforcement.

Correctomundo 😊. He has a month to pay up AND apply for the CCJ to be removed.

4 minutes ago, Robert James said:

Bailiffs will take 6-8 weeks, after the month has surpassed that he has to pay

Thanks Robert. It’s gone well past the money now, it’s a matter of principle.

If the daft sod had apologised up front and not ignored me, I would likely have put it down to a bad experience and let it go.

• Supporters
51 minutes ago, rocketdogbert said:

Thanks Robert. It’s gone well past the money now, it’s a matter of principle.

If the daft sod had apologised up front and not ignored me, I would likely have put it down to a bad experience and let it go.

Spot on mate , own up , admit your mistake , look like a twat , and everyone moves on job done ! 

AND You wana be carful bro , he’s got a scary breed dog so he must well ard ! 

• Supporters
On 5/9/2018 at 8:02 AM, Rogerborg said:

Be aware that it's not a quick process, especially if he simply ignores the process and you have to move on to collections and pay for that up front yourself too.  If it goes that far, you'll need to consider whether he's actually got enough seizable assets to cover your total costs.

*cough* Reminder *cough*.

They may end up seizing everything that he owns and still leave you out of pocket.

Although in principle I am 100% behind you, and also laughing like a drain at him calling the rozzers to bawww about the law being, like, so unfair.

• 1 month later...

Yep, I decided not to spend anymore money, I got a CCJ against him and he refused to co-operate to get it removed, I’m reasonably happy with that.

• Supporters
22 hours ago, rocketdogbert said:

Yep, I decided not to spend anymore money, I got a CCJ against him and he refused to co-operate to get it removed, I’m reasonably happy with that.

Which will bother him if he needs new credit in the next 6 years. Otherwise you've spent your money and he's lost nothing.

I say this not to criticise, but just to point out to others that taking court proceedings to conclusion is a long process that involves a lot of up-front outlay.

On 31/05/2018 at 09:49, Duff said:

I'm considering taking my old employers to an injury lawyer due to injuring my shoulder. They didn't make me sign any form of official paperwork or h&s documentation to cover their backs so I think I have them dead to rights.  I can no longer work in my chosen field, no more white van man for me 😶

Tread carefully. I know someone who tried to take their employer to court, and got the run around and lost all their money - life savings and remortgagings, verging on the 7 figure mark - on legal fees while the employer delayed and delayed and used every dirty trick in the book because they knew they’d lose the case. That was 7 years ago, I believe it’s still ongoing and the case hasn’t been heard in court yet.

Archived