Switching to Deans Connectors

MisterG
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Supporters

Seem OK just radius corners - might feed better through stock tube

(but really how often you do that & there is a file option)

they are textured/ribbed which is good

basically try to buy ribbed deans coz smooth deans are a bitch to unplug with sweaty hands/gloves

There are also other variations like Star Plug which are deans compatible

F*ck it - deans is deans for most people - but airsofters should get ribbed deans as stated

OK official deans are supposed to be higher quality, better conduction/connection, low resistance

But really - as little breaks in wiring as possible, then one china deans won't rob you blindly of power

still miles better than crappy small tamiya anyday.....

AuLVkCB.jpg

1 hour ago, Sitting Duck said:

Thanks for the reply.

Just to double check, as those corners seem rounded to me.  Is there a better type with more rounded corners?

Cheers

G

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Sitting Duck said:

(but really how often you do that & there is a file option)

you can reduce the material a tiny bit but you need some surrounding the metal connector

or it will just fall apart

there is also mini-deans which some confuse with micro deans - you can't use micro

but a couple of guns have had mini deans - still a bit better than small tamiya

(but not as good as reg deans....)

Image result for deans connector types

mini-deans are the ones in black btw if stuff is tight squeeze to feed through

Ok thanks.

My current gun has full fat Tamiya connectors 😉, so hopefully no issues feeding though the Deans connectors.

Cheers

G

• Supporters

i've been using a 20 pack of amazon special deans for years.

given they took 2500v from my coil blow back experimentation without blowing i think i'm justified in saying they'll be fine for an airsoft gun :D

also who needs ribbed deans when you use ridiculously over-specced wire and have mad soldering skills :P

Got myself 5 pairs of those in the link I posted. 

Will have a go on my oldest battery first, but seems simple enough. 

I've soldered many times before.

Cheers

G

• Supporters
14 minutes ago, MisterG said:

Got myself 5 pairs of those in the link I posted. 

Will have a go on my oldest battery first, but seems simple enough. 

I've soldered many times before.

Cheers

G

protip- only cut and solder 1 wire at a time, a lipo short circuiting is not a fun thing to witness. and always female connector on the battery for the same reason.

personally i find giving the wires a good tin, then build up a big blob of solder on the connector so you can heat the 2 together without needing to add more helps save the need for 3 hands, probably not best practice but when done right you end up with a nice neat and strong connector.

MisterG how did it go by the way? 

I'm doing the same after my recent issues with batteries caused by the crappy Nuprol charger..now that the batteries are all ok, I'm going to be changing both my guns and all the batteries over to deans tomorrow.

Should be fun, haven't soldered in a few years, but will take the advice from what Adolf Hamster suggests...been watching numerous vids on YT just so I don't screw it up.  :)

Been manic at work, haven't had a chance to solder them yet. 

It's part of a wider project to upgrade my G86C.  Shiny new barrel arrived on Thursday, bucking arrived yesterday.

Probably won't get a chance to do anything until next weekend at the earliest.

Am playing tomorrow, and don't want to be making changes just before a skirmish.

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers

G

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Monkman said:

MisterG how did it go by the way? 

I'm doing the same after my recent issues with batteries caused by the crappy Nuprol charger..now that the batteries are all ok, I'm going to be changing both my guns and all the batteries over to deans tomorrow.

You’ll notice a big difference after you do , so much more efficient , but as others have said be carful when cutting the old connector off your batts , a couple of yrs ago team mate who WAS an electrical engineer in a previous life was changing his connectors over to Deans and cut both at the same time ! 🤦‍♂️ AND we still haven’t let him forget it ! 🤣

• Supporters
48 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

You’ll notice a big difference after you do , so much more efficient , but as others have said be carful when cutting the old connector off your batts , a couple of yrs ago team mate who WAS an electrical engineer in a previous life was changing his connectors over to Deans and cut both at the same time ! 🤦‍♂️ AND we still haven’t let him forget it ! 🤣

See being a mechanical engineer i'm allowed to make stupid mistakes when it comes to dark magic/electronics

• Supporters
28 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

See being a mechanical engineer i'm allowed to make stupid mistakes when it comes to dark magic/electronics

No, no your not. It’s people like you that cause major problems for people like me to fix! Stupid mistakes are my forte, it’s people like you who should fix my stupid mistakes! 😏

Electronics is easier than you think, I’m self taught and managed to get a job in an industry that uses both mechanical and electrical engineering. 

• Supporters
3 hours ago, Prisce said:

No, no your not. It’s people like you that cause major problems for people like me to fix! Stupid mistakes are my forte, it’s people like you who should fix my stupid mistakes! 😏

Electronics is easier than you think, I’m self taught and managed to get a job in an industry that uses both mechanical and electrical engineering. 

electronics is pretty much entirely "this isnt working, but theres no reason whatsoever that it shouldnt" in my experience.

• Supporters

It’s so easy to diagnose what’s not working in electrics, in mechanics you can have something not working because a nut is 1/4 turn to tight, or a rotor isn’t shimmed correctly to 0.00025 of a thou( real work issue!), electrics you just work from one end of the system to the other and find the fault, with continuity it’s really systematic.

4 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

electronics is pretty much entirely "this isnt working, but theres no reason whatsoever that it shouldnt" in my experience.

• Supporters
18 minutes ago, Prisce said:

It’s so easy to diagnose what’s not working in electrics, in mechanics you can have something not working because a nut is 1/4 turn to tight, or a rotor isn’t shimmed correctly to 0.00025 of a thou( real work issue!), electrics you just work from one end of the system to the other and find the fault, with continuity it’s really systematic.

Funny i could say the exact same for electronics, at least with mechanical systems a lot of times you can see or hear the issue.

Simple electrics is ok, but once you delve into solid state it just gets beyond sanity

• Supporters

Oh I’m not denying mechanics isn’t easier(I’m mainly mechanical) but I do think electrics are easier than some people would have you believe.

I’m no super genius/wizard at anything, but my brain makes more sense of a few hundred wires in a control panel than it does a machine that’s leaking oil for no apparent reason. (We do R&D for a big manufacturer and one of their new built units was running great, then it started to overheat and leak oil simultaneously- even the guys who built it couldn’t understand how or why it was doing so- we found out the casting makers had changed there “recipe” for the castings and it was now slightly Porous, and with the added heat, made it piss oil out)   

6 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

Funny i could say the exact same for electronics, at least with mechanical systems a lot of times you can see or hear the issue.

Simple electrics is ok, but once you delve into solid state it just gets beyond sanity

Well, got all the bits today..so went to town on both guns & 5 batteries...it's not he best soldering in the world and may have touched the plastic deans connectors a few times with the iron..but all good connections, both guns function well and even made a little doo-hickey for my mate. (If his battery with tamiya connector goes flat, he can clip in one of my shiny new deans batteries to keep his gun going..)

Gonna do a shoot test tomorrow to see what the difference is.. :)

I'm quite impressed it's all worked out well, because there is a well founded saying I've been labelled with.. "Max in a China shop..."  (I'm not the most delicate person)

20180514_205718.jpg

• Supporters

i'm impressed you thought of making the adaptor cable, took me years to do that, although my excuse is i was intentionally putting it off because i don't even want tamiya near my guns, honest guv :D

those look pretty well done i must say, good job.

• Supporters
On 5/12/2018 at 6:51 PM, Prisce said:

On 5/12/2018 at 7:10 PM, Adolf Hamster said:

You crazy kids.

You try debugging 2000 lines of machine code at 2am because a production line has mysteriously stopped working!

• Supporters

I call your electrical engineering/mechanical engineering and debugging code and raise you a 2yr old child that appears to have feck all wrong with it (as it’s running around like the demented beast that it is) but the mother is insistent the little shit is at deaths door and If you don’t diagnose it’s imaginary problem and cure it then she’s going to complain all the way up to the chief exc !🤦‍♂️ 

• Supporters
8 hours ago, Lozart said:

You crazy kids.

You try debugging 2000 lines of machine code at 2am because a production line has mysteriously stopped working!

No thanks, me and computers don’t see eye to eye, haven’t used one in 7 years(all this is on my phone). I’m in awe of anyone who can use a PC like that.

But I’ll raise your 2am prod line to an operating theatre at one of London’s biggest hospitals😉

7 hours ago, Druid799 said:

I call your electrical engineering/mechanical engineering and debugging code and raise you a 2yr old child that appears to have feck all wrong with it (as it’s running around like the demented beast that it is) but the mother is insistent the little shit is at deaths door and If you don’t diagnose it’s imaginary problem and cure it then she’s going to complain all the way up to the chief exc !🤦‍♂️ 

Hmm, I raise your 2 year old, with our 9 year old foster child, she is Satan’s spawn, all caused by lack of thinking and empathy by social services! I tell everyone, one day I’ll awaken to a knife in my chest with her standing over me! She too is very good at the ole acting malarkey and has frequented A&E with silly little things because Social services protocol is to send them if they create any unreasonable fuss.

• Supporters
3 hours ago, Prisce said:

Hmm, I raise your 2 year old, with our 9 year old foster child, she is Satan’s spawn, all caused by lack of thinking and empathy by social services! I tell everyone, one day I’ll awaken to a knife in my chest with her standing over me! She too is very good at the ole acting malarkey and has frequented A&E with silly little things because Social services protocol is to send them if they create any unreasonable fuss.

You have my sympathy mate , see it time and time again with cares trying to do the right thing , but getting tied up in knots by some f**kwit from social services who hasn’t got a clue what there on about but there the ‘professional’ so there right and your wrong ! 🤦‍♂️

• Supporters
14 hours ago, Lozart said:

Oh, your code had lines did it?  Luxury!

Archived