SWAT are the worst online airsoft retailer in the UK - Discuss.

AlMcCann
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters
8 hours ago, FreeFrag.UK said:

It's a shame as I'm all for supporting the little guy but in this instance I think I'll just pick up a couple of the Dynatex timed delay BFG's.

+1.  It is a damn shame as, after a tiny spooge of silicone spray, my VTG is working fine again.  Still, at least your money is still in your pocket and can go on Dynatexen that actually exist.

Oh, I see the ASA has leapt into inaction and not done a damn thing about SWAT's site still implying that they have VTGs in stock.  Or, now that I think about it, that VTGs are reduced from £140. Were they ever sold at that price?

13 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

+1.  It is a damn shame as, after a tiny spooge of silicone spray, my VTG is working fine again.  Still, at least your money is still in your pocket and can go on Dynatexen that actually exist.

Oh, I see the ASA has leapt into inaction and not done a damn thing about SWAT's site still implying that they have VTGs in stock.  Or, now that I think about it, that VTGs are reduced from £140. Were they ever sold at that price?

Just out of curiosity, why is it the VTG gets recommended over the Dynatex? I heard of the VTG prior to the Dynatex and I was told that it's the go to as I'm after a BFG on a timed fuse.

To be honest more needs to be done about retailers and these sorts of practices. If I recall correctly they shouldn't even be taking any money prior to dispatch according to some of the selling regulations.

2 hours ago, FreeFrag.UK said:

Just out of curiosity, why is it the VTG gets recommended over the Dynatex? I heard of the VTG prior to the Dynatex and I was told that it's the go to as I'm after a BFG on a timed fuse.

To be honest more needs to be done about retailers and these sorts of practices. If I recall correctly they shouldn't even be taking any money prior to dispatch according to some of the selling regulations.

The Dynatex is discontinued, the design was bought by SWAT and rejigged (slightly).
So essentially the SWAT VTG should be better with less issues down the line.

However as you say a lot of places still stock a Dynatex, and SWAT have periodical outages of stock to make the VTG.

If you want the VTG I would call (never email SWAT - queue 2 week wait) and check do they have stock available to guarantee it being sent this week, or if there's a current number of backorders.

The certainly can build and send it in a day, but if a large group wipes their shelves, it can be months before a restock happens and they just love to keep taking your cash as you wait.

2 minutes ago, proffrink said:

I thought they brought it back into production in 2016/17? Allegedly there was a lot of drama.

Oh I could be wrong then! I was always under the impression SWAT owned the design and there was just a big stock left over to sell.

Just now, proffrink said:

Frankly I'm not clear on the story myself either. I know the SWAT ones are basically a carbon copy.

They are, I believe aside from a different sized top section, they are identical internally.
Well that and the external pretty bits.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Corky2110 said:

I was always under the impression SWAT owned the desig

There are some shrieky comments on YouTube reviews of VTGs claiming that they just cloned it and put the pineapple plastics on it.

Either way, I'd only ever buy any BFG from stock now, from an actual retailer.

2 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

There are some shrieky comments on YouTube reviews of VTGs claiming that they just cloned it and put the pineapple plastics on it.

Either way, I'd only ever buy any BFG from stock now, from an actual retailer.

That's a very good idea, far less painful.

• 6 months later...

I ordered a SWAT BFG on the 2nd October.  No communication from them, despite several phone calls throughout November (each time told that it would be shipped imminently). 

I've finally given up and called to cancel the order.

"Hi I'd like to cancel an order with you [gives order number]"

"Ok we'll get that sorted for you [puts phone down]"

Didn't ask why, nor offer to help resolve any problems.

What utterly terrible customer service.  Based on my experience, they don't deserve anyone's custom.  

1 hour ago, lokkers said:

I ordered a SWAT BFG on the 2nd October.  No communication from them, despite several phone calls throughout November (each time told that it would be shipped imminently). 

I've finally given up and called to cancel the order.

"Hi I'd like to cancel an order with you [gives order number]"

Didn't ask why, nor offer to help resolve any problems.

What utterly terrible customer service.  Based on my experience, they don't deserve anyone's custom.  

I can only assume they do it on the side while focusing on something else as their main source of income. It's a shame as it's a product which has the ability to actually challenge (if not surpass) the Dynatex or at least be a viable competitor.

As you right surmised, the customer service offered is non-existent and the level of professionalism is a completely foreign concept.

• Supporters
2 hours ago, lokkers said:

Hi I'd like to cancel an order with you [gives order number]"

Didn't you get "I'll need to speak to Paul", or "The computer's down at the moment" ?

Best of luck in actually getting your money back.  I'd suggest that you initiate a chargeback from your payment provider as well, as it'll take a while to get going.  I only received my VTG after I'd done that, which wasn't actually what I wanted, but hey ho, it came out in the wash.

Dynatec all the way, and again:  https://www.asa.org.uk/make-a-complaint.html

• Supporters

I really don’t understand why players still try and buy from these asswipes , I almost got screwed over (thank god for credit card cover !) by them a couple of yrs ago back when there wasn’t much bad press about them BUT NOW ? Just do a very small amount or research in to them and you’ll find shit loads of horror stories about there customer service.

7 hours ago, Druid799 said:

I really don’t understand why players still try and buy from these asswipes , I almost got screwed over (thank god for credit card cover !) by them a couple of yrs ago back when there wasn’t much bad press about them BUT NOW ? Just do a very small amount or research in to them and you’ll find shit loads of horror stories about there customer service.

I think it talks down to the product being quite highly regarded so people assuming the company are fine to deal with, as such people don't necessarily put in the research.

Edit: just an afterthought. I'll admit airsoft is the only hobby/interest I have where I find myself heavily researching retailers and companies prior to ordering. Even then with a lot of airsoft retailers I find I tend to make contact first to confirm stock.

There are a lot of cowboys in the airsoft market, something which does the hobby no favours.

• Supporters

Huh, I see they've updated their site to say that they're actively on sale for 2018-2019, and still have that deceptive listing that says that black is out of stock which implies that everything else is in stock.  Still no mention that they're made to order - or more accurately, not made to order.

Thing is, if you see them being used at a site, and the site looks live, you might reasonably believe that they're still in the business of selling products rather than taking money in return for nothing beyond vague future intentions.

Which is why I warn everyone who asks about mine not to bother trying to buy one.

• 4 months later...

An epilogue to this sad tale.  I chased for the refund at the beginning of March, having asked to cancel in December, but it seems that the phone number on the site is now disconnected.  The site is active and still seems to accept orders.

Fortunately I paid by credit card and they've refunded the amount.  My squad mate, who also bought one at the time, was less fortunate and paid by debit card.  He's now out of pocket with these charlatans. 

• Supporters

Ruh roh.  Sounds like they might have just throw in the towel.  Good to hear that you got your money back.

Your chum can ask his bank to do a debit card chargeback.  It's really up to them whether they do it or not, but it's worth asking.

Archived