firearms ban after prison

clarky2343
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

A friend of mine who used to play airsoft has recently come out of prison and has a lifelong firearms ban we want to know if this includes airsoft or wether it means section 5A firearms ony (live ammunition), He has asked probation and his ppu officer about this and they are sure that he can play airsoft still but will find out for sure but he hasnt heard anything more about it from them so we are just unsure wether or not he is allowed to play it still, any info anyone can give would be appreciated

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Supporters

Currently there are no laws or restrictions linking rif ownership to section 5 ownership.........

BUT that's not to say special restrictions can be implemented against a person upon their release from prison, particularly if they have been released early under license.

If your friend hasn't already been made aware of special restrictions at the time of his release, it's likely that there aren't any, but in circumstances such as this honesty is the best policy, I hope they give him the ok.

p.s. if he was convicted, it's not alleged, even if he still pleads his innocence. 

• Supporters
2 minutes ago, clarky2343 said:

Ok, so as long as he gets the yes from probation/ppu there should be no problems?

Should be fine, had it been an armed robbery conviction would have been a different matter obviously.

Yea would have thought so too, well I shall let him know that all should be fine so long as probation/ppu give him the go ahead and maybe to get it in writing from both parties so there is no comeback later down the line should any issues arise.

Cheers for the help

• Mostly Retired Moderators

I asked my policeman friend:

No. They would be banned from holding a firearms certificate, required for all licensable weapons. You don't need a license to have a toy gun.

So, turns out it should be fine to give an ex-con a replica weapon... Who knew!

• Supporters
Just now, ImTriggerHappy said:

More to the point why are you friends with a sex offender?

Starting to ponder if you are my conscience. I was thinking that at the exact point you posted it!

• Supporters
1 minute ago, Prisce said:

Starting to ponder if you are my conscience. I was thinking that at the exact point you posted it!

I know right!

The only reason to be friends with a sex offender is to lure them somewhere dark and out the way to give the bastards the punishment they deserve.

• Supporters

I whole heartedly agree, but there are a couple of exemptions I think are a bit controversial. 

A BF and GF, same school year, ones 16 the other 15, if they get intimate, the 16 year old is classed as an S1 sex offender. Even if their birthdays are days apart.

3 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

I know right!

The only reason to be friends with a sex offender is to lure them somewhere dark and out the way to give the bastards the punishment they deserve.

Have you tried asking the facebook lawyers, after all forums are a know trusted source for legal advice? Getting a second opinion wouldn't hurt. Just post up "I have a sex offender friend who wants to know if he can legally play airsoft" and I'm sure the world wide "community" legal team will be right with you to help and express their valuable knowledge in this field. ;)

• Supporters

If he received a custodial sentence of more than 3 months that usually means you won’t get accepted for a firearms or shotgun license again but it also depends on the crime as well. 

To play airsoft you dont don’t require a firearms license so I’d see no reason why he couldn’t play it

55 minutes ago, clarky2343 said:

He was convicted for an alleged sex offence

This sentence... smh Dude if you're convicted, it isn't alleged.

Sex offenders are welcome. No eye pro or clothes allowed. Full Auto games all day.

• Supporters
12 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Except the fact he is scum?

Ah I didn’t see the sex offender bit. Yeah I’d have have to agree with that comment 

54 minutes ago, Duff said:

This sentence... smh Dude if you're convicted, it isn't alleged.

Sex offenders are welcome. No eye pro or clothes allowed. Full Auto games all day.

No clothes is something he’d enjoy...

Hang on guys, im friends with him still because he is actually innocent of the crime for which he has been convicted. I know the ins and outs of the case and I was someone he called as a witness, I would seem that for anyone convicted of a sexual offence then in is guilty untill you can prove you are innocent as is the case with every other offence so dont think the UK "justice system" is perfect as it convicts people where evidence and common sense says the person is innocent.

• Supporters
5 minutes ago, clarky2343 said:

Hang on guys, im friends with him still because he is actually innocent of the crime for which he has been convicted. I know the ins and outs of the case and I was someone he called as a witness, I would seem that for anyone convicted of a sexual offence then in is guilty untill you can prove you are innocent as is the case with every other offence so dont think the UK "justice system" is perfect as it convicts people where evidence and common sense says the person is innocent.

Can I be first to say convicted so bollocks

ok well that is your view, but you can be convicted of something if you are innocent

Just now, E21A said:

How was he convicted without evidence? 

the evidence from the "victim" didnt add up and contradicted itself on every level where as my friend was consistant all through his evidence

Archived