Best CQB gun, a pistol?

Mantle
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I am relatively new so I am not the most experienced.

However, I am looking at airsoft from a practical standpoint, rather than tacticool. Would a pistol not be the ideal choice for airsoft CQB? We are all shooting 6mm, so that is the main difference from the real world  (and not killing each other). You would hardly be shooting to the ends of the earth in a CQB environment and it seems that the majority use semi auto anyway. Pistols are ridiculously compact as opposed to rifles (obviously) and their magazines are much easier to store/carry. Would a pistol be the most practical option?

The only issue I could see would be the small iron sights but I guess a small red dot could solve that. 

If you do not think it is the most practical option, then why not?

I am just searching for opinions as I would like to know which route would be best to take. For reference, I am thinking of maybe a Tokyo Marui Hi Cappa or Glock 17/19/22, gas blow back of course.* I also prefer low/real cap magazines, not sure why. 

Last question I would like to present would be that in the event of needing to shoot at longer distances, what upgrades would have to be applied to a gbb pistol to reach a little further than standard; Is it as simple as changing the bucking and inner barrel?

Thank you all and I hope for this to be an interesting thread!

*I have heard about the magic of the TM MK23 and the range, but I do not wish to own one as I want it to be a blowback pistol.

If you haven't already, go out and play a couple of games, you'll get a feel for what works for you. 

As for compactness, I would suggest looking into a G&G ARP9. Might be better with your inexperience with the sport.

To echo the previous comment, make sure you go play a good bit first. For general use a Rifle or SMG will get you significantly more mileage and will be much more worth your money if your just getting started.

That said, I run my TM Hi-Cappa exclusively when im doing indoor / CQB. (my CQB place is Killhouse in leeds which is effectively a small warehouse full of MDF walls so its all in your face kind of distances) 

Its so much easier to get around the tight spaces, and i use my evo when i go outside.

From a practicality standpoint, simply put, theyre not. Pistol only is good fun but rocking maby 90-130 rounds maximum(20-30 per mag), they either have to be short games or you make every shot count. GBB also take much more maintenance then an AEG and are much less reliable mostly due to how cold and unpredictable the weather is over here.

• Supporters

with a pistol you're limiting yourself on ammo compared to any aeg, and without a shoulder stock pistols are harder to aim properly than you'd think, especially when compared to a handy aeg with a red dot.

i do use a pistol for when things get close but that's mainly because i mainly run outdoors and rarely need to drop length for it.

if i was going cqb proper i'd either take the f2000 or go for a proper smg, the likes of p90's, mp5's, aksu's etc can still be pushed into good service outdoors when the need arises.

• Supporters

I don’t actually agree with the above. 

I don’t do too much CQB, I like being outside, but when I do I only ever run pistols. 

It really depends on your play style. Are you aggressive? Do you run in first? Do you sit back? 

If you like the adrenaline and fun of running in first, I would highly recommend dual pistols.

I did a CQB game recently where I used my G18c and TM Mk23, one for stealth and the other for full on assaults. Admittedly it was only 4 of us at DTW in Colchester, but I didn’t get shot and was last man standing every game, I believe the fact the others had small rifles hindered them, compared to my pistols.

The others say about mag capacity, you can get 50rd glock mags, or drum mags if you really wanna go that way, I take 3 mags for what ever gun I play with, and never use all of them.

Agree with @Prisce

I ran dual TM G17s (albeit once) and it was great fun. I have since gone back to just one G17. Carry 2 50rnd extended mags and about 5 standard mags, had absolutely no issues and finished with ammo to spare. Excellent choice if you are looking to run around as your setup will be very light and compact. I do not have any issues with temperature as mentioned above - I run my mags with Nuprol 2.0 most of the time, or 3.0 if it is unusually cold. Something something TM magic dust 😅

Only recommendation would be to install silent fill o-rings which the amazing @rocketdogbert introduced me to. Stops gas spraying everywhere when you fill the mags.

If you are REALLY set on using a pistol but don't fancy running your nuts off, then you can buy either a collapsible glock stock, glock buffer tube adapter or a carbine kit if you prefer to shoulder it and move slower.

• Supporters

I prefer a rifle over a pistol as generally the benefits outweigh being slighlty less manoeuvrable. Pistols are fun to use but even on a cqb site there are often distances that using a pistol only puts you at a disadvantage.  

With a bit of practice and effort you can still move very fast with a rifle and I have never had an incidence where I lost out because of the rifles size.

At the end of the day remember that 99% of it is the player not the weapon.

For CQB I only use pistols. 
Same as @Prisce in fact - G18c / Mk23
I carry 2+1 mags for each .
I also have a carbine kit for the 18c, but have never actually skirmished it.
The pistols are just too much fun!
The 18c has this kit in it:
https://www.milspecsolutions.co.uk/Maple-Leaf-Glock-Hop-Unit-And-Inner-Barrel-Set.html

1 hour ago, sonofsammo said:

For CQB I only use pistols. 
Same as @Prisce in fact - G18c / Mk23
I carry 2+1 mags for each .
I also have a carbine kit for the 18c, but have never actually skirmished it.
The pistols are just too much fun!
The 18c has this kit in it:
https://www.milspecsolutions.co.uk/Maple-Leaf-Glock-Hop-Unit-And-Inner-Barrel-Set.html

What kind of difference does the maple leaf set make? Is it significant?

2 minutes ago, Mantle said:

Increased accuracy, rather than distance, as the distance was always pretty good.
Especially noticed a difference when on auto for bursts - much better.

3 minutes ago, Mantle said:

Everything to the right gun. It will make your groupings very consistent 

2 minutes ago, sonofsammo said:

Increased accuracy, rather than distance, as the distance was always pretty good.
Especially noticed a difference when on auto for bursts - much better.

1 minute ago, rocketdogbert said:

Everything to the right gun. It will make your groupings very consistent 

I see, as we are talking about Glocks, any idea what the average range of a stock tm g17/g18 is? I will consider the maple leaf set if it really is that significant.

I was using a Krytac crb up until now but I really prefer pistols in almost every way

As with all gas guns, depends upon gas, and bb.

I only target shoot, but all my TM pistols easily shoot the length of my garden, so at least 35m

Depends how you play I suppose. If you want to rush in and take as many out before you get peppered then an ARP or Vector or any SMG or short M4 type build would suffice. You can play like this with pistol as well as long as you have a decent hi-capa mag. Or... use two pistols.

Personally I love a shotgun in CQB.

• Supporters

The 'ideal' along the scale of weight/size vs capacity will always be something like duff mentions; small sub gun or stubby barrel AR AEG, ideally with a plastic body.  You can have something super short weighing under 2kg that takes 120+ round mid caps or hi-caps (or a drum if so inclined) and spews out beebs just about as far as anyone else's gun.   Almost no need for a stock or sights within 20m, point shooting is the fastest option by far.   It's airsoft, a bb hit is a bb hit, there's no recoil and you can have huge mags compared to an actual firearm, so you can 'game it' that way in a fashion that entirely wouldn't work in real life.

A pistol is just another option that goes slightly towards the light/small end of the scale at the sacrifice of capacity/volume of fire.  Everything fits along the scale somewhere pretty much, you just pick a point that fits your preference.  Over time, buy and try different options ranging from the lighter to heavier ends of the spectrum and see what gives you the most actual fun, simple as.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, CKinnerley said:

The 'ideal' along the scale of weight/size vs capacity will always be something like duff mentions; small sub gun or stubby barrel AR AEG, ideally with a plastic body.  You can have something super short weighing under 2kg that takes 120+ round mid caps or hi-caps (or a drum if so inclined) and spews out beebs just about as far as anyone else's gun.   Almost no need for a stock or sights within 20m, point shooting is the fastest option by far.   It's airsoft, a bb hit is a bb hit, there's no recoil and you can have huge mags compared to an actual firearm, so you can 'game it' that way in a fashion that entirely wouldn't work in real life.

A pistol is just another option that goes slightly towards the light/small end of the scale at the sacrifice of capacity/volume of fire.  Everything fits along the scale somewhere pretty much, you just pick a point that fits your preference.  Over time, buy and try different options ranging from the lighter to heavier ends of the spectrum and see what gives you the most actual fun, simple as.

Dont think there is an ideal gun as everybody has personal preferences.

I can't get on with light small guns except pistols as they just feel wrong to me. I prefer a gun that is 3 to 4 kilos and generally about the 900mm length mark.

I find that the weight and size is perfect as lighter guns I swing too fast and shots go everywhere. Where the heavier ones always seem to be on point.

Horses for courses I think.

• Supporters

I did put inverted commas, I'm not actually claiming there's 1 perfect option.  Sheer physics states you can run around faster and change directions/generally manoeuvre better the less weight you've got, but again I suggested people try out different options in my previous to see what suits them.

• Supporters
5 hours ago, CKinnerley said:

I did put inverted commas, I'm not actually claiming there's 1 perfect option.  Sheer physics states you can run around faster and change directions/generally manoeuvre better the less weight you've got, but again I suggested people try out different options in my previous to see what suits them.

Wasn't disagreeing was just putting a different perspective on it. 

In 99% percent of cases you are correct but for someone like me the lower weight just means when I move fast I have a habit of moving the gun past the target and have to adjust back. So a lighter gun in my case is actually slower.

You have to move very fast on corners though because of length but that just adds another fun dynamic.

• Supporters

Yeah no drama there, I can think of a couple of examples off the top of my head of guys who love nothing more than running the heaviest, least practical version of any given gun (in CQB here) then slinging 40mms under them and attaching heavy optics.  Goes to show.. well the thing we're talking about.

I tend to go down a somewhat realistic route, but then I also really love impractical old school stuff like bolt action rifles with irons.  Bought an ICS Garand that I desperately wanted to use at the mall but PAS lowered the FPS then the mags wouldn't stay in.. annoying.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, CKinnerley said:

then slinging 40mms under them and attaching heavy optics. 

Sod the 40mm pointless things but yeah I run a Trijicon SRS clone and it is a right lump but can't get on with any others now. Might buy a real one and feed the inner geardo 😁

Does make me laugh at the mall sometimes when you see someone with a huge gun and every bolt on possible complaining half way through they are knackered.

For me, I like lightness. It's one reason why I love my G&G Wasp. In total is a grand 63cm long and only 2kg, so even I can run around with it all day. For CQB I've not found it a problem at all, although I am finding I am enjoying CQB more when running around with just my pistols. I take both, with 2 mags each and that normally does me for a decent length game.

The Wasp and the MK23 have similar ranges I have found, but in CQB I don't normally come close to the maximum range they can shoot. I think I enjoy running with the two pistols more because I am more conscious of my limited ammo, it brings another challenge to the game for me. 

• Supporters

I've tried M4 (and tried shortening it down), I've tried AEP, I've tried pump shotgun, but the best tool that I've found for the job is an MP5K.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend the cheap Galaxy model that I've got simply because of the lonnnnnng trigger pull, but other than that it functions splendidly.  90 round magazines, 315fps, easy to hold in your sight line, very nearly as handy as a pistol for corners or staying tight behind cover, and accurate out to longer ranges than I'd expected. The iron sights work fine, or slap a rail adapter and a reflex sight on it.  Heck, I've run it in woodland with a zoom sight on a peek-through rail riser and not been too badly outranged by full length AEGs, to my surprise and theirs.

You could try the CYMA version if you want to spend a little more, but as a general platform I think it's ideal for CQB.

From my experience both are relatively equal.

Pistol:

Far easier to move around vertically - running around corners and watching people shoot over your head is fun

Can peek faster - less weight makes it easier to randomly pop out then back in again

More intuitive than a rifle - grab it stand right against a corner and look round, wont have perfect technique but it'll be far better than some rifle players I've seen

Rifle:

Volume of fire

Volume of fire

Did I say it? Volume of fire - can suppress better than a pistol due to the sheer amount of bbs you can afford to waste 300rnd hicap vs 50rn extendo

Far easier to win a corner and catch your opponent with constant fire or move up

Range is a moot point if you have a decent pistol

Cost - a competitive aeg setup costs nothing compared to a competitive pistol setup due to mags, gas, lube ;), gear to carry said mags, random shiny bits you'll want to buy for it.

Reread that and it made hardly any sense but oh well

best gun for cqb is novritsch ssg24 put m200 spring in it then bullets so fast super kill count on team death match u own every1 on the map

• Supporters
15 minutes ago, AshOnSnow said:

best gun for cqb is novritsch ssg24 put m200 spring in it then bullets so fast super kill count on team death match u own every1 on the map

Bro do you even mg42?

Archived