springs

Adolf Hamster
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

so, in ni we're limited to 1j, and pretty much everything you buy is bang on that limit so we don't really mess with springs all that much.

however, i have an agm mg42, it shoots like a freaking laser beam and easily keeps up with the rest of the field (well, the ones that aren't hpa's :P ), but get this, it's firing at a mere 0.5 joules.

so i'm obviously thinking to myself doubling the fps of a great shooter is a win win situation. so here's the catch.

it's an odd spring, seems to be about 1.5" longer than a standard v2 spring, i tried a 1.6 joule spring that came with the m4's new box (that was a fun day finding out i was "that guy" who was running hot) which while shorter fits and works fine (albeit with less preload than a v2 box) and it's putting out 1.39 joules, which isn't going to end to well at the next chrono.

anyone have any suggestions as to what i should be looking at to hit 1j?

M90 should get you about 1J. But if the fitted length is greater than a standard V2 /3 etc. Then you'll either need to add preload, or try stronger springs.

• Supporters
23 minutes ago, Hangtight said:

M90 should get you about 1J. But if the fitted length is greater than a standard V2 /3 etc. Then you'll either need to add preload, or try stronger springs.

yeah, it's the length difference is the killer, might just have to do a bit of chopping and changing. fortunately it's really easy changed as it has a quick release that's actually quick to use.

the v2 spring went in ok and it did have preload (ie it wasnt loose) so at least thats not a problem, not sure about just adding preload though.

As far as I could find out, it uses pretty much a standard piston /cylinder/gearset? As long as the spring doesn't go coil bound then adding pre load shouldn't be a problem. You'd just be reducing the installed length down to the same as a V2 etc.

• Supporters
40 minutes ago, Hangtight said:

As far as I could find out, it uses pretty much a standard piston /cylinder/gearset? As long as the spring doesn't go coil bound then adding pre load shouldn't be a problem. You'd just be reducing the installed length down to the same as a V2 etc.

I took the easy way out and went down to the shop, bit of swapping and we found one with a little trim it's now 330 on the dot.

Cant wait to see how it performs now, given it was keeping up with everything else firing 217 :D

Archived