Are some airsofters better kitted out than professionals.

emilianoksa
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

For me, gear bitchiness is more of an online thing than IRL. 

I completely echo @CKinnerley's opinions on the matter. I don't smoke and rarely drink, so my disposable income goes on gear that I am very confident will make me money if I decide to sell it on, so I view it as an investment as well as a hobby within a hobby. 

I have seen noobs in rental gear cheat as much as I've seen kitted out weekend operators cheat, and that is pretty much the only thing I will judge a player on.*

*Okay, I will judge you if you rock up in German WW2 uniform with SS insignia, which I have see at Ace Combat and Dog Tag IIRC. 

• Supporters
1 hour ago, djben9 said:

same here, at UA people always comment on the old ex. mil guy who wears a massive rucksack during games......find him amusing in games when 'working with him' :lol:.....haven't seen him in a while....

what's he got in the rucksack? or is it just because he's used to it.

45 minutes ago, Dentonboy said:

For me, gear bitchiness is more of an online thing than IRL. 

I completely echo @CKinnerley's opinions on the matter. I don't smoke and rarely drink, so my disposable income goes on gear that I am very confident will make me money if I decide to sell it on, so I view it as an investment as well as a hobby within a hobby. 

I have seen noobs in rental gear cheat as much as I've seen kitted out weekend operators cheat, and that is pretty much the only thing I will judge a player on.*

at the same time i've seen kids with rental ak's observing safety to the letter while the 50 year old operators are standing around cradling their m4's mags in safety's off after the call to take eye pro off.

this is why i never take my eye pro off even if it's been called safe to do so.

45 minutes ago, Dentonboy said:

*Okay, I will judge you if you rock up in German WW2 uniform with SS insignia, which I have see at Ace Combat and Dog Tag IIRC. 

*looks at mg42.....*

*grins to himself.....*

:P

tbf i've seen it a couple of times, mostly re-enactors who're indulging in a spot of airsoft on the side.

No problem with German WW2 gear aficionados, but don't think SS insignia is in good taste, in the same way Blackwater insignia is to me now. 

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

what's he got in the rucksack? or is it just because he's used to it.

No idea but it gets in the way on some CQB games and I’m sure I could fit my kids in there!!!

some weeks he’ll not have it but I think he probably just misses the good old days :)

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Dentonboy said:

No problem with German WW2 gear aficionados, but don't think SS insignia is in good taste, in the same way Blackwater insignia is to me now. 

I understand your position, although i cant say it bothers me that much (and yes i realise thats probably the strongest username-post content ratio out there :P ). As long as they're not trying to glorify their actions by pretending they arent the bad guys.

46 minutes ago, djben9 said:

No idea but it gets in the way on some CQB games and I’m sure I could fit my kids in there!!!

some weeks he’ll not have it but I think he probably just misses the good old days :)

Maybe, although i'd have thought any real soldier would jump at a chance to not lug around things if they dont have to. Each to their own i guess.

• Supporters
4 hours ago, Druid799 said:

Quick straw poll , after really thinking about it , who has actually had or seen this happen to them or witnessed it to someone else  ? 

And no  “grannies/friends/cousins/dog walkers/brother said he read it on Facebook so it must be true !”

anecdotal evidence ! 

Me personally ? No to either question , but did over hear two ‘Gucci guys’ passing judgement on another player once but not too his face , so too me that’s just being a dick .

Sorry if I'm missing the context, but genuine question, what is your question? I could be being blind here but I'm not seeing what you're actually asking.  We talking snobs, reverse-snobs or both?  Or something else I've missed?

Personally in my 11-12 years erratically attending games/being online, I've never ever seen anybody with expensive gear having an actual go at someone wearing cheaper stuff.  In spite of that I'm more than willing to believe it happens because 1.  there's a shit ton of stories constantly cropping up and 2.  if you're a douchey person with a personality deficit who's bought all the fancy stuff then it's probably in your nature to be a douche about it, humans do that in all sorts of other ways and arenas.  I'm also cognisant of the fact I have some fancy kit myself so I'm not likely to be the target of an actual snob if there were one lurking nearby.

If we're talking other end of the spectrum I've had people come right up to me with "is that REAL magpul?  pff.. ridiculous"  "are those REAL cryes?? stupid waste of money" and I've got good mates who I've personally witnessed have almost the exact same thing happen to.  Usually crye clothing will be the poison of choice.  Also had the most passive-aggressive tirade ever from a guy on my own damn squad at a weekend event just over a year ago when he saw my night vision.  Apparently it was definitely stolen from the army (even though I know for a fact my unit is above board) and I need to watch my back because the military police are gonna come for me, got even more visibly annoyed when I said it was gen 3 vs 2 (didn't volunteer that info, was asked).  Definitely no childish behaviour there.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, CKinnerley said:

Sorry if I'm missing the context, but genuine question, what is your question? I could be being blind here but I'm not seeing what you're actually asking.  We talking snobs, reverse-snobs or both?  Or something else I've missed?

Personally in my 11-12 years erratically attending games/being online, I've never ever seen anybody with expensive gear having an actual go at someone wearing cheaper stuff.  In spite of that I'm more than willing to believe it happens because 1.  there's a shit ton of stories constantly cropping up and 2.  if you're a douchey person with a personality deficit who's bought all the fancy stuff then it's probably in your nature to be a douche about it, humans do that in all sorts of other ways and arenas.  I'm also cognisant of the fact I have some fancy kit myself so I'm not likely to be the target of an actual snob if there were one lurking nearby.

If we're talking other end of the spectrum I've had people come right up to me with "is that REAL magpul?  pff.. ridiculous"  "are those REAL cryes?? stupid waste of money" and I've got good mates who I've personally witnessed have almost the exact same thing happen to.  Usually crye clothing will be the poison of choice.  Also had the most passive-aggressive tirade ever from a guy on my own damn squad at a weekend event just over a year ago when he saw my night vision.  Apparently it was definitely stolen from the army (even though I know for a fact my unit is above board) and I need to watch my back because the military police are gonna come for me, got even more visibly annoyed when I said it was gen 3 vs 2 (didn't volunteer that info, was asked).  Definitely no childish behaviour there.

Never seen anyone have an actual go at someone for what they are wearing but have seen a few people having a bitch at people for not taking it seriously. Unfortunately for the stereotype situation they have all been worst sort of geardos.

Sly digs and muttered comments it pretty even between all the factions in airsoft. Wisecracks about hoodies are just as common as those about crye. Every group within airsoft is to blame.

The only time anything gearwise should have anything to do with anyone but the wearer is when it is not suitable for airsoft and has an adverse effect on hit taking. Most gear aficionados generally do consider this but there are a few whose belief that even though it will affect there ability to feel hits it is ok because they have a right to wear what they choose. They do but only when posing for selfies.

There is always hatred in airsoft look at the vitriol speedsofters have to put up with.

Edit: I think actically I do remember someone once bitching at someone and taking the piss out of the fact they were wearing trackies. Think it started over the lads high cap rattling.

• Supporters

Yup your being blind , as you proceeded to answer the question in your second paragraph .

• Supporters
2 hours ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Never seen anyone have an actual go at someone for what they are wearing but have seen a few people having a bitch at people for not taking it seriously. Unfortunately for the stereotype situation they have all been worst sort of geardos.

Sly digs and muttered comments it pretty even between all the factions in airsoft. Wisecracks about hoodies are just as common as those about crye. Every group within airsoft is to blame.

Yep seen lots of the first too, find it equally as ridiculous as anyone else, big reason I've got little enthusiasm for big 'milsim' weekenders and some of the crowd who attend them.  Seen casual folks take the opposite attitude towards others who were just getting on with things and not shouting or doing anyone any harm.  2nd sentence is about spot on, but the way threads consistently go on here the impression you'd get is the only guilty party is the crye-crowd.  Gets kinda boring, rather just not blame anyone seeing as there's well balanced blame to be laid on both ends of the scale.

36 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

Yup your being blind , as you proceeded to answer the question in your second paragraph .

Except that makes no sense taking in to account I had to take a guess about what you were asking because you didn't actually state it.  The question could've been from either perspective.

• Supporters

I ‘assumed’ that as we’d all been involved in a discussion on players looking down on other players due to what they were wearing and what quality of gear was being used , I wouldn’t need to explicitly state what the question was in relation too as I believed the readers would have guessed this , as most who’ve replied appear to have . 

• Supporters
8 hours ago, CKinnerley said:

Fair enough, doesn't mean I was blind though does it?  If it was a joke that's fine, but obviously there's no way to actually tell.

Beauty of the internet unless you make it as obvious a custard pie to the face jokes can be so easily missed .👍 

There’s always the associated issue of cost, and so it is perfectly possible for airsofters to have higher quality equipment than many military employees. Whether or not this is a waste of money is another matter - you could buy a Land Rover and kit the interior out with 360 degree thermal imaging monitors, titanium and ceramic panels throughout, and all sorts of gadgets, and sure it’ll be better than what the army use, but really what’s the point? You’re better off buying a Land Rover then putting nice adjustable heated leather seats, overhauling the engine and transmission for better economy, satellite radio and integrated GPS on the dash and improved noise insulation. At least that’s the analogy that transfers to airsoft.

• Supporters

I mean.. both options cost a lot of money so what's the analogy?

The 'waste of money' point is entirely irrelevant and not part of the discussion, because (primarily) people earn different salaries/have different disposable income percentages along with the whole personal preference thing.  If they weren't buying gucci gear for their airsoft hobby they'd perhaps be buying 'pointless' expensive car parts, 'unnecessary' mahogany furniture for their home, 'extravagant' designer suits/watches or a billion other things on the planet that are fancy.  Seems to me that people only think expensive things that align with their personal tastes are justifiable and if you spend on luxuries that don't align with someone's personal tastes then all of a sudden that spending becomes superfluous.

8 hours ago, CKinnerley said:

I mean.. both options cost a lot of money so what's the analogy?

The 'waste of money' point is entirely irrelevant and not part of the discussion, because (primarily) people earn different salaries/have different disposable income percentages along with the whole personal preference thing.  If they weren't buying gucci gear for their airsoft hobby they'd perhaps be buying 'pointless' expensive car parts, 'unnecessary' mahogany furniture for their home, 'extravagant' designer suits/watches or a billion other things on the planet that are fancy.  Seems to me that people only think expensive things that align with their personal tastes are justifiable and if you spend on luxuries that don't align with someone's personal tastes then all of a sudden that spending becomes superfluous.

Prime example - My brother has a family (3 kids and a wife) I have nothing other than my bills to pay, I like to buy the best I can afford, he has to settle for mid to low range gear. I wouldn't call myself a collector I just like to buy the best I can afford and if that means a £300-400 rig then why should I be chastised for that, I don't throw my kit in his or peoples faces (that may hurt) nor look down my nose at a person running a hoodie and a rucksack, where would that get me if I did other than looking like a cunt? Everyone's personal circumstances are different. As Chris has said above some people collect fast cars or buy car parts, some people have houses full of antiques which they have bought from the income they manage to draw in. Yes there are unfortunately people in the community that have some sort of weird god complex in that their gear is an extension of their social standing but everyone knows in airsoft even a rental guy can get the drop on even the most "leet pew pew operator".

One thing I dont understand is why people are so quick to jump on peoples decision to spend money how they see fit and by having spent that money are supposedly automatically a cheat? cheats come from all walks of life and all different backgrounds. If I were to tally the amount of cheaters that are called out or people that I have to speak to while working in all honesty I think the ratio between "leet operators" and your general skirmisher it would actually probably be about even.

1 hour ago, clumpyedge said:

One thing I dont understand is why people are so quick to jump on peoples decision to spend money how they see fit and by having spent that money are supposedly automatically a cheat? 

They think they see it more often than others because of the stereotype so brain things happen then they continue the stereotype. See: confirmation bias

1 minute ago, Aengus said:

They think they see it more often than others because of the stereotype so brain things happen then they continue the stereotype. See: confirmation bias

Fair point, i guess when you work as a marshal you see things from a totally different perspective on numerous different levels. Interestingly enough being a bit of a kit whore I've over heard people slagging a guy off before as being "leet" and cheating to which i asked why they thought he was "leet" and they mentioned the brand of clothing/gear he was wearing... when I spoke to the same guy later in the day 90% of his kit was repro.

Not come across anyone being critical like that so far, but only played two skirmishes to date.

I'd rather have multiple cheaper load outs, than one expensive on, but part of the fun for me is having different load outs. 

Each to his own.

Cheers

G

• Supporters
3 hours ago, clumpyedge said:

One thing I dont understand is why people are so quick to jump on peoples decision to spend money how they see fit and by having spent that money are supposedly automatically a cheat?

Becuz haterz be jelly, yo.

Archived