Hook me up with Comms!

Countryman
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I’m starting to look at radio for I and my boy and maybe a buddy or two.

I don’t need to go full milspec but I am not adverse to a military style system. Definitely need a secure fitting headset or ear piece, mike and PTT.

What would you recommend?

• Head Moderator

I recommend a search, you can find all sorts of useful information.

Actually did “Radio” and nothing!

Anything much changed in 2 years?

• Head Moderator

Do not think so. The law remains the same for PMR and non-PMR radios. Maybe some newer models or updates, and no doubt more china made ones flooding the market.

• Root Admin
1 hour ago, Countryman said:

Actually did “Radio” and nothing!

Anything much changed in 2 years?

When clicking 'search' bear in mind that if you're already in a thread it'll default to searching that thread and that thread only. On the left you'll be able to select 'All Content' instead. If left unchanged it'll only have searched for that term in the thread you were already in.

'Radio' shows pages of results :)

57 minutes ago, Countryman said:

So these seem cheap enough. 

Whats wrong with this picture?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F323174837922

Not a lot wrong. Beofeng are really cheap but are good value. Their UV-5R is the entry-level non-PRR/business licensed one that people tend to buy.

• Supporters
11 minutes ago, proffrink said:

When clicking 'search' bear in mind that if you're already in a thread it'll default to searching that thread and that thread only. 

I'm guilty of doing this. I think by default it should be set to search the entire forum. We can just use CTRL-F to find a specific phrase in one thread, or change the filter parameters. 

• Root Admin
On 4/25/2018 at 7:09 PM, Gepard said:

I'm guilty of doing this. I think by default it should be set to search the entire forum. We can just use CTRL-F to find a specific phrase in one thread, or change the filter parameters. 

On 4/25/2018 at 6:01 PM, Countryman said:

So these seem cheap enough. 

Whats wrong with this picture?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F323174837922

Good news. The latest update now defaults to searching everywhere again from what I can tell.

searchofixo.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Thought an update on my progress with this might be useful.

I have gone down the Small Business Light User licence from Offcom. Im sure lots of people dont. £75 over 5 years isnt a big deal and I can add in others to my team frequencies now quite lgally.

I bought 2 Beofeng UV-5R radio sets with batteries, chargers and earpieces from an eBay seller in the UK called littlelittlebird for £38.99 delivered. These were programmed for me by a tech at my local site in less than 5 minutes.

I found the Condor Handheld Radio Pouch fits perfectly and bought two from cadetdirectltd on eBay. £15.74 with combined postage.

Then I bought 2 x Bowman Headsets and Peltor type PTTs (sold as Z-Tactical but arrived with no branding) from a seller in China called Sales-Radio. Unfortunately one of the PTT's doesnt work but at £36 delivered I figured this was worth the risk. Hopefully I will get a resolution on the U/S PTT.

Thats it though, its as simple as that.

1 hour ago, Countryman said:

Thought an update on my progress with this might be useful.

I have gone down the Small Business Light User licence from Offcom. Im sure lots of people dont. £75 over 5 years isnt a big deal and I can add in others to my team frequencies now quite lgally.

I bought 2 Beofeng UV-5R radio sets with batteries, chargers and earpieces from an eBay seller in the UK called littlelittlebird for £38.99 delivered. These were programmed for me by a tech at my local site in less than 5 minutes.

I found the Condor Handheld Radio Pouch fits perfectly and bought two from cadetdirectltd on eBay. £15.74 with combined postage.

Then I bought 2 x Bowman Headsets and Peltor type PTTs (sold as Z-Tactical but arrived with no branding) from a seller in China called Sales-Radio. Unfortunately one of the PTT's doesnt work but at £36 delivered I figured this was worth the risk. Hopefully I will get a resolution on the U/S PTT.

Thats it though, its as simple as that.

You could try Earmor M32 headsets with their own PTT's.  I have M32 & M32H and both are excellent quality and work brilliantly.  There is even a M32 Mod1 out now.  They are a little more expensive than Z-Tacs, but they are good.  (Got mine from Camoraids)

• Supporters
Just now, Monkman said:

You could try Earmor M32 headsets with their own PTT's.  I have M32 & M32H and both are excellent quality and work brilliantly.  There is even a M32 Mod1 out now.  They are a little more expensive than Z-Tacs, but they are good.  (Got mine from Camoraids)

Just bought a pair of the M32H Mod1 as a sneaky birthday pressie to myself! 

1 minute ago, Lozart said:

Just a quick tip...the screw on caps for the battery compartments can be a little stiff..a small smear of silcon gun oil on the threads does just the trick! ;) 

22 minutes ago, jcheeseright said:

I love how anyone on a site with any knowledge about anything calls themselves a ‘tech’... programming a radio is literally tapping in a frequency and saving it to a channel! 

No, quedos to this guy, I gave him twin TM MAC 10's for a LiPo upgrade. This involved removal of the battery containment, taking the wiring back to basics and sourcing and trimming the LiPo wiring to suit the space. Honestly im no monkey but this was more than i fancied. he is a good Tech and the Radios were programmed with no fuss, no charge and done in seconds. Hes not a "Tech" just because he programmed my radios.

• Supporters
Just now, Monkman said:

Just a quick tip...the screw on caps for the battery compartments can be a little stiff..a small smear of silcon gun oil on the threads does just the trick! ;) 

Cool! Thanks for that!

3 minutes ago, Lozart said:

Those are sexy!

Archived