Painting an IF

Archos
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So i was gifted a two tone airsoft gun for christmas and wanted to know if i could paint it. I do not have a UKARA licence and i am under 18 and thus can not aquire one. Any help would be greatly appreciated as i dont want my IF to stand out anymore as i get picked out easily. 

15246380889781171427266.jpg

• Supporters
48 minutes ago, Archos said:

UKARA licence

PbRidms.gif

OK, run a thought experiment with me.

Let's say that you're stopped on the way to or from an airsoft skirmish with that two-tone imitation firearm.  What is your reasonable excuse (the proof whereof lies with you) for having with you an imitation firearm ?

Now let's say that you paint it.  Then you're stopped on the way to or from an airsoft skirmish with your realistic imitation firearm.  First, answer the exact same question as above.  Then, on the vanishingly small chance that the constable detects that it used to be a two tone, and knows that it's an offence to modify it, and you do something insane like volunteer the information that you modified it, what is your defence to that offence?  Is it, perchance, the exact same defence as the reasonable excuse that you already need in order to be in possession of it in public?

I believe that it is.  There's no minimum age limit on that defence.  You don't need a "licence" to do it.  In fact, no licence exists to do so.

Opinions will differ, but my position is that if the question of turning an IF into a RIF ever becomes an issue for you, then it's because you've already messed up and are in bigger trouble for simple possession.

All that said, I will parrot the party line: <SQUAWK> Wait until you're 18. <SQUAWK> Get your UKARA. <SQUAWK"> Look both ways before crossing the road.

... or, camo tape it while on site, then remove the tape for transport. ;)

Meh I stripped and painted my springer shotty before I had UKARA.

DILLIGAF

17 minutes ago, L3wisD said:

Or another option is to just get old enough to get UKARA. Easy.

I'm waiting for the UKARA LICENCE! to come out on cornflake boxes, remember the good old days when you used to get things free on cereal boxes, pff they need to bring that back, the amount of krave cereal my little girl eats I would have loads of new stuff.. :)

26 minutes ago, Marc.RG1 said:

I'm waiting for the UKARA LICENCE! to come out on cornflake boxes, remember the good old days when you used to get things free on cereal boxes, pff they need to bring that back, the amount of krave cereal my little girl eats I would have loads of new stuff.. :)

Three tokens and an SAE, job done ^_^

2 hours ago, Duff said:

Meh I stripped and painted my springer shotty before I had UKARA.

DILLIGAF

I thought about that, then read Baldyman's story. 

Though in my case, as I am of age and then some :D, just need to wait 4 more weeks to qualify for my "Licence". 

Cheers

G

Would I sell to someone without a valid defence, and lets face it there's a few, no I would not,(but its not reflecting on the person, I'm just covering myself) but saying that I know a few people with ukara that I would not sell to either because they are muppets and irresponsible.. 

Fais gaffe!  GIGN te recherche:lol:

Frence_Special_Forces_GIGN_c0-1-640-374_s885x516.jpg

Mine run out two years ago.. But I have others defences, military reenactment groups and the other one of them although not being recognised by most as being a proper defence for airsoft I personally think its the best and most adequate and responsible out the lot, being a member of a proper firearms club..

Like I've said a few times now, I have seen, meet and played with many 18+ people that have their ukara but are complete muppets and very irresponsible and openly speak about doing things they should not really be doing with any guns be it airsoft or not, like running around the woods with their mates having personal games or just being fools, just because you can run around shooting each other in a skirmish don't mean you should be doing it in the woods with a few buddies for fun, I would certainly not knowingly sell to someone like that. Having ukara does not make anyone responsible.. But having a firearms license or even just being a member of a firearms club shooting under the clubs or family members licence in my eyes is worth a heck of a lot more then ukara.. 

Hey guys thanks for all the advice, i will probaly end up getting a roll of camo tape for my gun. This has really helped seen as im new to airsoft. 

• Head Moderator
2 hours ago, Archos said:

i will probaly end up getting a roll of camo tape for my gun.

Good idea. Putting camouflaged tape over a two-tone at a skirmish is permissible due to being a temporary modification purely for the game.  After the skirmish the tape is removed.  Sniper tape is a cheap way to cover the gun for a game day and is then easy to remove afterwards. 

• 1 month later...
On 4/25/2018 at 8:15 AM, Rogerborg said:

PbRidms.gif

I've always been saying this and I agree completely. It is a defence to manufacturing a RIF if one is an airsofter* regardless of your age. 

In theory taking an upper from a lower and reassembling constitutes this offence.

* I do however thing for safeties sake following UKARA games measurement still wise.

• Supporters
7 hours ago, Sacarathe said:

manufacturing

Why oh why oh why do folk keep talking about "manufacturing" when there's a specific offence of modifying?

2 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Why oh why oh why do folk keep talking about "manufacturing" when there's a specific offence of modifying?

My reply was based upon section 37. Not sure what your problem with me agreeing with you is.

Besides, I would imagine that specific line is more orientated at taking store bought toy guns and painting them black maliciously. Not so much for people which are making RIFs which became IFs back into RIFs.

In any case, if you were prosecuting would you pick manufacturing or modifying? There's no doubt that manufacturing also includes literal manufacturing and assembly in a factory but in any case, does it really matter.

If you were prosecuting, wouldn't you see holes in going after someone that is undoing a prior modification?

7 hours ago, Sacarathe said:

My reply was based upon section 37. Not sure what your problem with me agreeing with you is.

Besides, I would imagine that specific line is more orientated at taking store bought toy guns and painting them black maliciously. Not so much for people which are making RIFs which became IFs back into RIFs.

In any case, if you were prosecuting would you pick manufacturing or modifying? There's no doubt that manufacturing also includes literal manufacturing and assembly in a factory but in any case, does it really matter.

If you were prosecuting, wouldn't you see holes in going after someone that is undoing a prior modification?

Modifying comes under manufacture. We've had this argument ten times over.

No it doesn't make sense but it is what it is.

1 minute ago, Duff said:

Modifying comes under manufacture. We've had this argument ten times over.

No it doesn't make sense but it is what it is.

Bah, I didn't start this, I was trying to agree with someone!

7 minutes ago, Sacarathe said:

Bah, I didn't start this, I was trying to agree with someone!

You bumped a 2 month old thread and started the exact same argument we'd already had. Not getting shitty it's not even 8am mate, come on there's no need. 

I didn't post to argue. I must be missing something (I've checked the thread and I didn't miss something) and you guys must have a lot of baggage on this because I really don't see an argument, I was literally just agreeing with the guy.

Not getting shitty it's not even 8am mate, come on there's no need. 

.... for?

EDIT2:

I've read the thread again and you must be thinking of a different thread, I don't see an argument about modifying versus manufacturing which you're both referring to.

Archived