Is surgical spirit OK to clean inner barrels?

Jdcolli
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Model/airfix type shops might have isopropanol. It's used for thinning pain and brush cleaning.

It's also cheap online. You can order 1L for about £6 delivered.

It can be used for barrels, Cleaning up inside gearboxes, and degreasing externals if you are planning on painting them. It's a decent all round product to have at home for dealing with airsoft equipment. Be careful with plastics but generally it is safe for use on just about everything.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1L-Isopropyl-Alcohol-IPA-PROPAN-2-OL-ISOPROPANOL-C3H7OH-99-9/112434172504?epid=2218475838&hash=item1a2d995258:g:drQAAOSwrhBZN7Ok

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Jdcolli said:

would surgical spirit be OK?

At a quick Googols, Boots / Superdrug "surgical spirit" contains random gloop like Methyl Salicylate, Diethyl Phthalate, Castor Oil.

As above, I'd go with straight / 99% isopropanol / isopropyl alcohol.  It's great for general cleaning and degreasing, I'm currently getting through 5 litres of the stuff.

This is the stuff i use to make a release agent for reloading. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Isopropyl-Alcohol-Isopropanol-99-9-Pure-FREE-Shipping-Various-Sizes-Available/121467503384?var=&hash=item1c48070318

This will be very similar to the above. if you are in the Warminster area I can give you some as i bought a bulk lot for a project I havent started yet.

To echo the other chaps recommendations - go with the Propyl Alcohol - its damned effective.

Course , hexane would be better - but don't want to scare the neighbours :-)

3 hours ago, Jdcolli said:

As the title says 

I can't find rubbing alcohol anywhere would surgical spirit be OK? 

Thanks in advance 

Isopropyl alcohol is not readily availabe in British shops.

It is however easy to get online from Amazon or Ebay. I have been using 99% isopropyl for years. Various manufacturers make it and sell it in plastic bottles from half a litre upwards. I have several uses for it and generally buy it in one litre bottles. It is ideal for degreasing airsoft barrels, and for degreasing springer airguns. Takes all the grease off air rifle internals before relubing in seconds. It evaporates quickly, doesn't damage materials  and leaves no smell. Excellent stuff.

Just type the name into Google and it will bring up dozens of British suppliers on Amazon.

I bought a litre of it off eBay for about a tenner posted. It’s good stuff

• Supporters

just buy the alcohol wipes for cleaning the odd barrel now n then....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-IPA-FASTAID-70-ISOPROPYL-ALCOHOL-SWABS-WIPES-PRE-INJECTION-TATTOO/271227481280?epid=28003298498&hash=item3f266aecc0:g:Wg4AAOSwjVVVu5ji

normally they are folded squares, unfold it to a rectangle, cut with scissors

(you will likely need scissors as the swab doesn't tear very easily)

take one of the two squares, fold in half, stick in cleaning rod, jam in barrel

give it a clean, discard & use other swab to finish off

shove a couple in ya bag in case ya gun gets drowned or buried in dirt etc....

easier than carting a bottle of very flamable liquid about - great for getting bbq's/bonfires started btw

(seriously - that alcohol needs to be stored with some common sense though, it goes up well)

Same as not leaving ya gear in your car with a gas can in ya bag

a couple of car windows have been blown out when gas cans cooked over the summer

OK we have probably had our summer now, but just saying wipes "might" be easier or better suited perhaps

(yeah OK you are not likely to carry a bottle of alcohol around I know, but wipes might be more suitable in bag)

Just highlighting some safety crap as we have had a couple of warm days

But yeah 99.9% alcohol is good stuff for cleaning many things, the bottles are pure 99.9%

wipes are 70% - use what you like or have to hand I guess

Archived