Best position for a camera for youtube

Oneshotonekill
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey guys 

As you can see by the title I've started a youtube channel,deadshot airsoft and i was wondering where's the best Place to have a camera either on your head or gun. Now I don't have money yet for both only one. Please help cheers 

Personally I think a head/shoulder one is vital to those kind of videos. Having only a scope/gun cam really limits the audiences idea of what's actually happening in the game. So I'd go with the head cam until you can afford a second for the gun/scope. But that's just me.

• Supporters

Why go in half cocked? If you want to start producing content at least make the effort and buy a couple decent cameras for different POVs. A headcam and gunscope/cam at the very least. 

Speaking as a viewer of course. Just one viewpoint the entire game wouldn't make for a very entertaining video. 

Of course if you absolutely have to, go with a headcam. 90% of the time your gun is pointing at the ground so it wouldn't make sense to stick it on the barrel unless you just want kill montages or something. 

You could always get a camera mount for the gun and then a headstrap with a mount and switch on the fly, at least until you can afford a second camera?!

• Supporters
4 minutes ago, Duff said:

You could always get a camera mount for the gun and then a headstrap with a mount and switch on the fly, at least until you can afford a second camera?!

"You in the multicam! Yeah you! Can you just stand there for a sec, I gotta swap out my camera mounts for this epicz shot!" ;)

You underestimate how easy it is to grab a camera, twist it off its mount and then pop it onto another. A few seconds whilst in cover.

I have mine mounted directly above the barrel, so you see the muzzel of my gun and can follow the bbs. It looks pretty good, but gets boring after a while. Would be best with two cameras so you can cut from each camera when the time suits. 

• Supporters

It really comes down to the scopecam. I agree with Gepard. If you dont have those two then filming for anything other than yourself is pointless. If you go with a headcam then you can only ID things about 10m in front of you. If you go with a guncam you get very limited video and the same issues you get with a headcam. If you go scopecam only you get good shots, but still the limited video of a guncam. I say you really need both a head/bodycam and a scopecam to make any worthwhile videos.

Duff, I agree it can be easy to switch a cam between gun and head, but you still have the same lack of zoom. For the most part, any youtube video I watch that doesnt have a scopecam of some sort I will quit within a few seconds, as the guy could be shooting at a bush for all the view knows. Hell, at this point I use three cameras minimum, and sometimes up to 5 if I want all the angles. Sure, its expensive, but thats life. I would reccommend getting a cheap GoPro clone off whatever Chinese site, and a mobius with a magnified lens. It'll cost you less than a single GoPro, and while it wont last you as long as a GoPro, nor will the quality be as good, you don't need 4k for airsoft, and itll allow you to get both angles which are basically a necessity for good airsoft videos. To go even cheaper, get a 3x magnifier or a cheap sniper scope and use that in conjunction with your GoPro/clone to get scopecam footage.

The one exception to this rule is if you are playing CQB. I did not use anything other than a single GoPro when I played at The Mall or the killhouse at Combat City, but besides that you need the scopecam.

• Supporters
14 minutes ago, Duff said:

You underestimate how easy it is to grab a camera, twist it off its mount and then pop it onto another. A few seconds whilst in cover.

Yeah, I know what you meant. Just me being daft. ;)

It's not a bad idea and could definitely work. I just think two cameras is really the bare minimum if you want any decent footage you can edit with.

I'd go with a good camera for your head/shoulder POV and a cheaper maybe GoPro hero for your gun cam don't cheep out on your camera as you will instantly regret it and the footage will disappoint you. Your best bet is to save to get both cameras.

I can speak from my own experience that a normal play style comes across as very boring in the footage. If you watch popular airsoft you tubers there always in the thick of it rushing and getting "clips" if you will. You will die a lot but the times you survive will result in good footage that's perfect for your video.

Another thing is you need plenty of batteries and storage devices you will be recording 1080p at 60fps or 4k for around 4 hours each game day = ALOT of Data you need to store so get ready to stock up on 64GB SD cards and batteries/power packs.

I personally gave up trying to make videos as it took the fun out of playing as you become more worried about the footage than actually enjoying yourself. I just use my cameras for dirt biking now to catch ma sick wheelies (I mostly have a good collection of me crashing into things tho :lol:)

I have an action cam fixed to the NVG port on my helmet. It's a pretty wide angle, and while it gives a great all round view from my helmet, it's absolutely no good at detailing the distance where my targets are. I think I might want to get a fixed zoom 4 or 6x scopecam for my VSR, but that's off in the future.

• Supporters

Some things to ponder.

First, the standard for YouTubers is now a minimum of 3 cameras: head/shoulder + scope-cam + selfie camera pointing back at them.  That's not to say that you can't get some interesting footage with a single camera, just that you might struggle to find an audience given the copious amounts of slick content that's already out there.

Second,  YouTube is rabidly anti-gun, and that'll only accelerate after their "GUN FREE ZONE" signs failed to stop them getting shot up (who knew?).  You may find that you're getting into this aspect of airsoft just as it's being shut down.

So I'd suggest that you make content for your pleasure, not for anyone else's.  Put it on your head, put it on your gun, whatever you want.

Cheers guys forgot to say tho I play at battlestations airsoft and if you don't know what that is that is cqb with containers joined up together so it pretty close but is also got a mid range site next to it so we change inbertween the maps so that's why I was on about scope can as I can get some long shots off. 

Personally I prefer a barrel mounted camera over a head mounted one

With a side head mount you get footage of the tree or wall you are hiding behind 50% of the time, and in Paintball a hopper the rest of the time. In airsoft that line is clear

With a barrel mount you get footage of the ground and air, plus shooting footage 

Though I have a few sights I’ve not particularly used them in game, to the best of my recollection I don’t think I’ve ever played with my telescopic sights fitted, just sometimes with red dots and then once I’ve got my eye in for red dots I have been able to train my eyes to look ‘through’ the body of a gun (by placing an eye either side and keeping both open)

So I’ve never bothered with a true scope cam

The best footage for showing a game is a combination of all three - possibly even four for a rear facing camera to show you

Then there are other angles such as a body cam, a high level mount on top of your head, or a pole mounted camera giving a 3rd person view

If you’ve only one camera to get started then make the best of what you have, swap it around and see what you get

For a next step look at other cameras, especially GoPro style cameras which come with all the cases and large selections of mounts.

While Maplins are in their final throws stock up on discounted Polymorph from them and then you can make an modify any mount adaptors you could ever need

Also check them out for memory cards - but shop around anyway

Another way to make your money go further is to check out vipon.com

This is a review / Discount code sight for amazon.

Sellers offer deals and buyers get cheap or free items to write reviews on

You do need to be cautious as often items are priced up to give a discount so if you are not wise then you could pay full price anyway

Ive done quite a few reviews and under Amazon’s old rules I had a good review rating so increased my odds of getting the best savings.

Vipon has been a good source for action cameras, mount sets and other photography equipment 

Don’t look at the premium brand cameras, but look closely at the specifications and get a couple of reasonable action camera clones with extras for less than the price of one GoPro 

Most importantly take advice from @rogerborg 

Don’t attempt to make videos to satisfy viewers, make videos that you like to make.  Then if people like what you produce then the viewing figures will follow

Hey guys on this topic What is the best professional video editor for free and doesn't have watremarks and you can put a picture in the video cos I am now sponsored by battlestations airsoft and they want to have there banner around the video or on the right corner 

Cheers George 

Archived