Barrel Bore choices

underdog6750
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I know there have been plenty of posts about barrels but I am looking for specific advice to a particular rifle of mine.

A little but about the rifle, I am running a Specna Arms M27, running as a DMR I've got running at 455 fps with a variance of +/- 1 fps at chrono. It's pretty damn consistent and love the rifle to bits. 

Range wise I'm getting (conditions dependant) accurate shots at 50-60 meters on a 10" square. By accurate I'd say 3/5 hits depending on wind etc. This is using .30s.

So it's running great but slightly hot. I have yet to upgrade the barrel and this is my last port of call for upgrades as I don't think there will be much more I can do to it save new gear box etc. I'm going to wait untill something breaks before doing that.

Sorry for the long introduction just wanted to give as much info as I could. So my thinking is of getting a 6.05 barrel as this will help slightly reduce my FPS and increase my range? I believe Specna Arms come with a 6.04 as standard in there AEGs, correct me if I'm wrong?

Would this be a step in the right direction or should I stock with the range I have and go for more accuracy with a tight bore Barrel? Would mean changing the spring due to increased FPS but that's not an issue for me.

Thanks in advance guys and sorry for the long winded post.

So going a larger bore is the way to go for a better long range set up? Glad I was on the right path.ive only been in the hobby 6 months so still learning.

Can you recommend a good stockists of pdi Barrels? Can't seem to find them anywhere!

I'm just trying to stop having that odd flier that I guess is inevitable with AEGs I guess I want to have my cake and eat it :P

• Root Admin

Sorting out fliers is usually a case of changing your bucking or going to an R-hop as some mounds - when fully 'extended' into the barrel can cause the odd flier as it's working overtime to generate that friction, but it's hard to tell as there are other factors like loss of compression in the gearbox. In any case, it's usually pretty obvious if the bucking is struggling as it tends to lose hop over time and you'll see a significant drop in your muzzle energy as those BBs get slowed down by the mound and/or the bucking isn't sealing properly onto the barrel.

How often are these fliers?

As others have hinted at: Barrel bore doesn't matter as much as the finish on the material itself. Though narrower bores will mean a higher muzzle energy, they can get jammed more readily (though still super unlikely if you're not an idiot) and are of course more expensive. It tends to be that cheaper tightbores aren't worth it either as keeping that tolerance is something they find difficult. I only buy steel barrels now for this reason - I've found brass just starts to get a bit wiry after a few years, but I don't think there's a consensus on this.

For PDI stockists: Still cheapest to buy from their primary distributor - X-Fire.org (wouldn't recommend using their 'new' website as it's way harder to navigate when looking at barrels).  Even with VAT and shipping you'll save about 20-30% over a UK stockist, and you can get exactly what you want. Delivery only takes 3-5 days too.

Here are the 6.01s: http://www.x-fire.org/etop/01.html

And here are the 6.05s (the more sensible option tbh, if you're not worried about your muzzle energy so much): http://www.x-fire.org/etop/05.html

As Trigger mentioned they do even do a 6.08 now.

Thanks very much for the reply. My RIF is flat hopped sorry should have mentioned already. By fliers I just mean the general spread of the rounds. It's not like I have a round shooting off at 90 degrees or anything.

I will definately look again at the pdi barrels.

Do you know if these barrels are multi grooved (like a lot of manufacturers or are the specific to each hop unit)

• Root Admin

Most PDI barrels are only grooved at the bottom and have the two flat faces on the sides. Standard AEG cuts. They're TM spec. and TM set the bar for everyone else a long time ago - 90% of manufacturers still use their cut for hop units.

I do believe it is a standard TM aeg hop set up so should do nicely. Thanks again :)

Archived