US/UK price difference and importing

sonofsammo
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

For G28 AEG - 
£428 for rif
£68 post
£103 duty and vat
Total: £599

So nearly a third cheaper!!!!
It's bonkers.
However, I assume there are risks with it getting past border force?
Have any of you done it?
What happened?

Screen Shot 2018-04-21 at 06.18.42.png

• Supporters

As long as you have a UKARA number, and have it displayed on the box you'll be fine. However, I'll let people with more experience go into greater detail.

• Supporters

Part of the VCRA says that a defence is required to import RIFs, so as long as you have a defence and the muzzle energy isn't above the legal limits (not that I think they're ever checking) there's no risk.  The myths and BS surrounding importing stuff are just as bad as the UKARA license and it's pretty ridiculous; about 95% of the stuff I buy comes in from the states, it's fine.

You’ll have no problem as long as you quote your UKARA (I generally get mine included on an address line).

BUT you will also have to pay a “We paid your taxes for you, so we’re charging you a massive fee” amount.

In my experience it varies hugely, often takes the total cost to around or only just under the UK price with RIFs so I generally don’t import them from the states.

HOWEVER I have never yet been charged any sort of duty or fees from Taiwan, Hong Kong or China, so you might want to look there.

A useful tip is changing Google search options to the country you are looking to import from.

rdb

Guest MaccyD

It can be luck of the draw for fees. I've imported parts that cost a few pence and been charge. And I've imported stuff for a few hundred and not been charged.

Not back calculated the maths but remember tax and duty go on the full price including shipping.

I will advise not getting a G28 if performance is what you are after. It is mostly a collector's item. The AEG is quite bad as opposed to the GBBR, also. The gearbox is weak and prone to cracking, the ambi fire selector is not even ambi (on the AEG), etc...

You would most definitely have to upgrade it, almost entirely. It is a mediocre performer.

Do not let the looks fool you!

Edit: You also need to make sure you have a decent amount of strength as my G28 was about 7kg fully set.

1 hour ago, BigBlackGlock said:

I will advise not getting a G28 if performance is what you are after. It is mostly a collector's item. The AEG is quite bad as opposed to the GBBR, also. The gearbox is weak and prone to cracking, the ambi fire selector is not even ambi (on the AEG), etc...

You would most definitely have to upgrade it, almost entirely. It is a mediocre performer.

Do not let the looks fool you!

Edit: You also need to make sure you have a decent amount of strength as my G28 was about 7kg fully set.

Oh. That doesn't sound good!!
Thanks for the advice :D

1 hour ago, rocketdogbert said:

HOWEVER I have never yet been charged any sort of duty or fees from Taiwan, Hong Kong or China, so you might want to look there.

Thanks for the tip - any online retailers you can recommend over that way?

21 minutes ago, sonofsammo said:

any online retailers you can recommend over that way?

Taiwangun are very good and airsofttiger111. Haven't used any others retailer's so I can't comment on any others :)

• Supporters

Be advised the boarder agency are wising up to China/HK under pricing stuff and are now being more vigilant for Airsoft kit as it can be high value but marked at a lower price .

And this isn’t “my friends aunties cousins dog Walker said” was told this by an actual vat assessment officer for the BA . 

Archived