metal shotty or plastic shotty...

kasaran
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

in particular:

www.taiwangun.com/en/springs-2/cm-356-tactical-dark-earth-cyma?from=listing&campaign-id=19

or

www.taiwangun.com/en/springs-2/cm-356m-tactical-full-metal-dark-earth-cyma-2

• Supporters

Doesn't matter. They're exactly the same in terms of performance. Metal will be heavier, obviously. Couldn't tell you the difference in quality between metal and polymer CYMA receievers. 

What are you looking for in this gun?

• Supporters

The ASG Tri-shot is good for run and gun gameplay. 

I've had the opportunity to play with it and they're really fun guns. 

On the other end of the spectrum you have the TM M870 which is gas operated. A completely other experience entirely but not exactly cheap. :lol:

Fair enough. Im not massively keen on gas to be honest.  Just feel its another thing to go wrong/leak. I know im likely just being overly paranoid about it.  Though they do look fun too.  At £60 it feels more of a disposable gun.

Has anyone upgraded a spring shottie before? Im guessing the metal varient would survive tinkering better.

Gas shotties seem pointles to me. They're too powerful to garuntee any form of consistent performance. I often outrange the gas shotties at the Mall with my springer. I think it has to do with the weight of the bb's mostly, a lot of people don't put heavier bb's in the gas shotties which affests the trajectory quite substantially.

I've found that .28g bb's work great in my springer. If I were to use a gas powered shotgun I'd be tempted to put .40g bb's in it to help the terrible grouping they all suffer from.

• Supporters

I have a cheap cyma shotty (m870 replica-can’t remember the numbers) Cost me £40 inc postage, proper bank breaking. It works exactly as you’d expect, possibly 20-30m range, and as @Duff said, with .28s suprisingly accurate. 

Its one of those guns that would be great to do a springer only game, or shotguns and pistol only games, but on your average outdoor skirmish, it’s almost unusable. 

We purchased it just for a laugh, and to have fun at a couple of small CQB sites. And it does just that.

1 minute ago, Prisce said:

I have a cheap cyma shotty (m870 replica-can’t remember the numbers) Cost me £40 inc postage, proper bank breaking. It works exactly as you’d expect, possibly 20-30m range, and as @Duff said, with .28s suprisingly accurate. 

Its one of those guns that would be great to do a springer only game, or shotguns and pistol only games, but on your average outdoor skirmish, it’s almost unusable. 

We purchased it just for a laugh, and to have fun at a couple of small CQB sites. And it does just that.

.28's are the best modification you can make to any springer shotty!

Thanks guys. I am thinking shotgun and pistol games, as the tm sig has pretty good range and accuracy. 

And feel it would be fun in an urban match. Or the zombie mode cqb at sabotage.  

So not really an option to change the springs for stronger ones (assuming i. Still able to pump it).

As for bbs. The ones im looking at have a fixed hop, so im guessing experiment with weight until i find one that works best?  Sounds like ill have to buy .28 as all i have are .20 and .25s

The moment you fit a stronger spring the rest of the internals will not be able to handle it and it'll eventually break.

I run shotgun and pistol and it's great fun. Harder to go up against AEGs etc but all part of the challenge. 

I take out 5 shells (50 shots) and 3 pistol mags and I rarely use half that amount in 45 minutes. 

• Supporters

I'd get neither of the two listed guns.  Single shot, 250fps and no mention or picture of an adjustable hop.  You can do better.

Tri shots are fun, but there's a lot of fiddly plastic inside them, so don't expect them to last too long.

8 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

I'd get neither of the two listed guns.  Single shot, 250fps and no mention or picture of an adjustable hop.  You can do better.

Tri shots are fun, but there's a lot of fiddly plastic inside them, so don't expect them to last too long.

The description says its tri shot in somewhat broken english.  The fixed hop comes from reviews on the cm .350 so im guessing these later models have at least the same fixed system?

12 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Oops, I didn't read past "Fire mode: single". :wacko:

Still, I'd go for a cheaper tri-shot and get more smiles per penny.

Yeah, only critisism of that site is the broken English, and the fact that they dont know what language to use.  The junk emails they send me are in french

I own one of the Cyma cm.355L shotguns.

Tri shot based off the M870.

Agree with a lot that’s been said.

Personally to me with a lot of spring shotguns they can be fiddly, some shotguns will fire the 3 shots fine, other times they may have two dip and one go where you want it to.

They’re fun, but can limit you a little in games.

Personally, i’d buy a cheap springer and see how you like it, no point spending lots of money on a gun you instantly hate as soon as you run into two or 3 guys with AEGs.

Well in the end i had a spell of madness.  I now have the metal one from twg coming with sling and ammo pouch for my molle (and a holographic eith shield for the ump) on the way.  And 12 cyma 3×30 shells off amazon as oddly enough twg dont seem to stock extra rounds for it.  Sooo maybe 160 ish all in. 135 on the shottie.  Guess if it sucks, i mean not suit, ill sell on here.  But i tend to charge in heroically or stupidly into close range anyway. So it should be fun.  Hope the pumping action sounds and feels responsive. 

• Supporters

Those cyma are tri-shot and they’ve got a ridiculous range for a springer too boot ! 

Ive had ‘shits’n’giggles’ springer shottie for yrs now but Xmas time my son was really pushing for a TM KSG gas one , so I bought it for him . Now I also didn’t see the point of gas ones , until I used his at strikeforce in Gloucester, talk about a revelation ! Liked it so much I sold my much loved L85 to buy one for my self ! That one went almost immediately (long story of woe) but any hoo I got another one recently and used it today at the Gaul and I was racking up the kills with it , so I have to say I’m a gas shottie convert now ! :D

• Supporters
18 hours ago, kasaran said:

And 12 cyma 3×30 shells

This one time, at Airsoft Camp, I managed to get onto my 2nd shell before being lit up like a Christmas tree. ;)

They are great fun, and to be fair, for the extra price of the metal one you may as well go for it.  I look forward to hearing about your many, many heroic deaths.

Oh, one thing for real, try not to half-cock it.  All the way back, every time.  I banjoed my cheap ASG by half cocking then fully cocking - something went "sproing" inside, and not in a good way.

9 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

This one time, at Airsoft Camp, I managed to get onto my 2nd shell before being lit up like a Christmas tree. ;)

They are great fun, and to be fair, for the extra price of the metal one you may as well go for it.  I look forward to hearing about your many, many heroic deaths.

Oh, one thing for real, try not to half-cock it.  All the way back, every time.  I banjoed my cheap ASG by half cocking then fully cocking - something went "sproing" inside, and not in a good way.

Heh. Thanks for the advice.  As id possibly do the same  unwittingly.  And yeah, for the price difference i thought to just get the metal one.

It turns out i didnt see where the extra shells are coming from. China it turns out. So should have them late may.  Good job the gun, that should come this weekend, comes with three.

The hard part will be to not dry fire it in the house when it arrives

• Supporters

Around the the 60 mark with it set on 3-shot before it starts getting weak , but I do carry a gas refill grenade with me and that’ll top it up a good 4-5 times .

• Supporters

I freely admit in an open outdoor scurmish you are at a big disadvantage to everyone with ‘normal’ long guns , but once you close the distance (even more if it’s a single shot site) THEN it’s a totally different ballgame ! Talk about a sweeping brush ! Couple of times I had kill after kill with it ! my self and a lad with a breacher cleared an entire ground floor of one building on our own simply by leapfrogging each other with re-usable grenades and the shotties ! :D

would have been a truly epic war story , right up to the point were we came out the other end and got mullered by our own team who’d worked around the outside of the building and thought we were yellows coming out ! :wacko:  :lol::lol::lol:

well, it arrived today, feels great. though its gonna be one hell of a workout on my left arm.

annoyingly i bought the wrong sling with it, didnt think it was one with clips, so gotta buy another one i guess 😕  suppose i could try and sell the fail-sling on here

• Supporters
2 hours ago, kasaran said:

well, it arrived today, feels great. though its gonna be one hell of a workout on my left arm.

If it’s a bit stiff ( ooh err misses !) racking it back try pushing out with the trigger hand in stead , so your holding the foregrip relatively stationary and pushing the gun forward .your arms and shoulders have more strength pushing that pulling . 👍 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2018 at 11:58 AM, Duff said:

.28's are the best modification you can make to any springer shotty!

You are so right on this. I have .20 and .25. It chrono'd at 300fps on .20s.

Fixed hop skies both weights so bought some .28s  and it fires pefectly. Good tightish spread and suprisingly good range.  

Did bring the ump to run for the afternoon games but now im going to stick with the shotty.  Hope the lipos will not mind not being used after charging last night.

Archived