Goggles!

GuyGotGuns
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Tested the same way as the other pair, ie, 350fps at 5m full auto.  Couple of minor marks, I would say the lens feel more pliable, so deform to absort impact rather than shattering.

I'll look into the smiths optics options.

Cheers

G

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
3 minutes ago, MisterG said:

Tested the same way as the other pair, ie, 350fps at 5m full auto.  Couple of minor marks, I would say the lens feel more pliable, so deform to absort impact rather than shattering.

I'll look into the smiths optics options.

Cheers

G

google / youtube :),

i think it was the SO one, it took a bit of cutting from memory

I've looked, strange two reviewers had the same result, one recommended them and one didn't.  Duff said he likes a debate, I think this will run and run :D

I can just about get away without wearing glasses to play, maybe i'll get some iserts so if the first lens fails, at least there is soemthing else between the BB and my eyes, and that way I can see well into the distance.

Cheers

G

• Supporters

“Won't do much harm if it does. I had a chunk of bb penetrate my outer eye and other than being a bit itchy no biggie. Didn't stop me playing and took 5 minutes to get out at the hospital next day. 

As some one who works in an A&E dept and frequently deals with eye trauma I’ve got say thats an incredibly dangerous and uninformed comment mate . Actually it IS a very big ‘biggie’ as you put it , ANY trauma of any sort to the eye can cause devastating and unresolvable damage to your sight . 

Never ever underestimate injury to your eyes , always act as if it’s the worst case , it’s easy to de-escalate the treatment once we know it’s not a major problem , if ayou don’t , then if it is a bad one it’s too late to escalate treatment a couple of days later . 

• Supporters
26 minutes ago, MisterG said:

350fps at 5m full auto. 

The worst case scenario is 500 fps point blank, if you walk in front of a sniper rifle.  Or rather, ~350 fps from a 0.4g BB, as it'll be denser.  And actually, a bit more than 350 fps x 0.4g given the Joule creep issue with gas guns.

Thinking about it, once you get up towards 0.5g bb, you're beginning to approach the density of the 0.86g steel BB used in the EN166 F test, and knocking on 3 times the energy.

That is an eye opener, so to speak.

55 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Check my working, but F rating is a 0.86g BB at 45m/s.  I make that 0.5 * 0.00086 * (45 * 45) or 0.87075J.  We should be expecting impacts of over 1J, so I'm not sure why an F rated frame would be considered as good enough for that purpose.

I admire their good intent, but there's a problem with sites doing that.  If they get into the business of saying "X is OK, but Y is not", then they've created a duty of care where one might not have existed.  And if X fails, they may have created liability.  You should be very careful about setting yourself up an arbiter of what PPE is sufficient for a task, unless you're prepared to be a test case.

The tl;dr version is that we really should be using at least EN166 B rated eye protection.  I wonder how many of us do?

Correct maths, and yes, I agree we should all be wearing "better" eye pro. It's why I now wear Z87+ rated goggles , which allow for a much harder impact (using a pointed projectile too rather than a spherical one) 

image.png.1e107b40abb760b22fda19367067ef83.png

Numbers stolen from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballistic_eyewear 

I suspect the F rated glasses work, as by the time most bb's hit the lenses, they have lost enough momentum that they are below the impact rating for the lens. 

• Supporters

Thanks for the shout on the Z87+, I'll take a look for those.  At a quick glance, Bolle Trackers have B rated lenses too.  Or there's STANAG 4296 or 2920 and again... Bolle.  I'm starting to see a pattern here...

All that said, any F rated polycarb lenses will probably be OK (because they generally are OK), but that scenario of a high mass sniper BB at point blank has got me wondering whether that's by luck more than design.

Revision bullet ant are what I have. Got a deal on brand new ones on ebay a few months ago for £36. Come with smoke, yellow and clear lenses and they are really comfortable. Once the foam is removed from the top and bottom they rarely fog, unless I am running a lot and wearing a hat! 

• Supporters
21 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

As some one who works in an A&E dept and frequently deals with eye trauma I’ve got say thats an incredibly dangerous and uninformed comment mate . Actually it IS a very big ‘biggie’ as you put it , ANY trauma of any sort to the eye can cause devastating and unresolvable damage to your sight . 

Never ever underestimate injury to your eyes , always act as if it’s the worst case , it’s easy to de-escalate the treatment once we know it’s not a major problem , if ayou don’t , then if it is a bad one it’s too late to escalate treatment a couple of days later . 

How is it uninformed? It was my eye so I know personally how much of an issue it was. It didnt penetrate to any depth and could of been me rubbing it not the actual impact that did it.

Outside layer of the eye regenerates well so no lasting damage so to my mind the mesh worked. Yes it allowed a shard through but slowed it enough to prevent serious injury,  job done.

Had to have splinters of metal taken out of my eye on a couple of occasions and that sucked but this one was not too bad. 

Your eyepro must be really shit then? Given how much stuff you keep having to get removed from your eyeballs. ;)

• Supporters
15 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

How is it uninformed? It was my eye so I know personally how much of an issue it was. It didnt penetrate to any depth and could of been me rubbing it not the actual impact that did it.

Outside layer of the eye regenerates well so no lasting damage so to my mind the mesh worked. Yes it allowed a shard through but slowed it enough to prevent serious injury,  job done.

Had to have splinters of metal taken out of my eye on a couple of occasions and that sucked but this one was not too bad. 

Sorry mate but have you had any training in ophalmology ? I have and yes your statement is still a dangerous one . You said it was your eye so you knew how much of an issue it was , very true it is your eye , BUT ever heard of people having life threatening illnesses and not knowing about it till it was too late ? scaring to eyes does not go away once you’ve scratched an eye it’s there for ever the severity of how much it’ll compromise you vision depends on where in the eye it is and how long it’s there . You said it penetrated your eye , that’s extreme trauma you run the risk of infection as well from the shard so yes I still stand by my statement .  

• Supporters
3 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

Sorry mate but have you had any training in ophalmology ? I have and yes your statement is still a dangerous one . You said it was your eye so you knew how much of an issue it was , very true it is your eye , BUT ever heard of people having life threatening illnesses and not knowing about it till it was too late ? scaring to eyes does not go away once you’ve scratched an eye it’s there for ever the severity of how much it’ll compromise you vision depends on where in the eye it is and how long it’s there . You said it penetrated your eye , that’s extreme trauma you run the risk of infection as well from the shard so yes I still stand by my statement .  

Some people are just too soft :D

As stated above, even a minor injury can develop complications, infection etc.  Also, had it gone into the cornea, might have been a different outcome.  Glad it wasn't.

Cheers

G

• Supporters
9 minutes ago, MisterG said:

As stated above, even a minor injury can develop complications, infection etc.  Also, had it gone into the cornea, might have been a different outcome.  Glad it wasn't.

Cheers

G

Cant live life in a world of could of and maybes. 

Would rather just say fuck it and go with it.

• Supporters
28 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Cant live life in a world of could of and maybes. 

Would rather just say fuck it and go with it.

Fill ya boots then matey , and gimme a call when you need them ,  I know a bloke  that'll do you a cracking deal on an eye patch and a parrot !

:lol:

• Supporters
2 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

Fill ya boots then matey , and gimme a call when you need them ,  I know a bloke  that'll do you a cracking deal on an eye patch and a parrot !

:lol:

Wont happen because find me one case of anyone wearing mesh or any full seal eyepro who has lost the sight in an eye playing airsoft. 

Lots of people go on about dangers but are there really any? Or is it just the snowflakes who need to stop worrying.

6 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Wont happen because find me one case of anyone wearing mesh or any full seal eyepro who has lost the sight in an eye playing airsoft. 

Lots of people go on about dangers but are there really any? Or is it just the snowflakes who need to stop worrying.

There's certainly an element of snowflakishness, but I sit in the camp that don't really give a crap about someone elses eyes - only my own ;)

• Supporters
1 hour ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

There was a guy in here who posted an image of a shard of BB that had lodged in his eyeball.  It was sheer luck that it didn't do more damage or cause an infection which could have given him brain AIDSbola.  That chap has convinced me that mesh is a mug's game.

• Supporters
10 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

There was a guy in here who posted an image of a shard of BB that had lodged in his eyeball.  It was sheer luck that it didn't do more damage or cause an infection which could have given him brain AIDSbola.  That chap has convinced me that mesh is a mug's game.

That was probably me and mesh is ok. 

Brain damage is no worry, fucked already.

• Supporters

Yes there is a lot of ‘snowflakes  when it comes to getting hurt in airsoft But FFS this is your sight we’re talking about ! If a B.B. can break the skin/take out teeth then what’s it going to do to your soft squishy eye ? I’m sorry your acting like a right mong if you give it the big “what ever !” About eye safety 

No studies have been done on airsoft specific ocular injury’s but did dig these up in work ;

0802B28E-5DA8-458A-9E9E-FC54F4560EB0.jpeg

815C8CC8-E309-4AE7-BF30-CE2ACF445FD2.jpegIf someone don’t care crack on then but me ? Won’t catch me using mesh goggles .

• Supporters
29 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

>snip <

Again has anyone wearing decent mesh ever been severely injured by a bb going through?

The answer to that question is no otherwise mesh eyepro wouldn't be allowed. My point is that even if a shard goes through it is slowed enough to prevent more than minimal injury. My accident is proof of this and even after that I would not hesitate to wear mesh.

Please don't call me abusive names unless you are stood infront of me as that is just disrespectful. I haven't once insulted you for jumping to the conclusion mesh is dangerous even though there is no evidence of that after about 20yrs of being in use.  It is used by most sites in rental masks and 1000s of players all over the world use it every week but it is not safe because a few people on the internet like to assume stuff without any proof.

• Supporters

Just because something hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it won't. Not sure what you're talking about with there being no proof btw. There's plenty of video on YouTube showing a BB penetrating a mesh goggle after repeated hits. Unlikely you'll ever be in a position to take as many as it would to break through, but definitely possible. As for shards of BB's lodging itself in my eye? Yeah, no thanks. 

But then I often don't wear lower face protection which obviously increases my chance of losing a tooth. I guess I just care more about my sight than my pearly whites. Take it as it comes..

• Supporters
8 minutes ago, Gepard said:

Just because something hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it won't. Not sure what you're talking about with there being no proof btw. There's plenty of video on YouTube showing a BB penetrating a mesh goggle after repeated hits. Unlikely you'll ever be in a position to take as many as it would to break through, but definitely possible. As for shards of BB's lodging itself in my eye? Yeah, no thanks. 

But then I often don't wear lower face protection which obviously increases my chance of losing a tooth. I guess I just care more about my sight than my pearly whites. Take it as it comes..

A youtube video with someone putting a 500fps sniper rifle a few inches away and putting repeated shots in the same spot is a bit unrealistic. Also the fact it is generally only shit mesh that have issues. Never seen a set of heroshark glasses fail on any test.

As I said who has ever been seriously injured wearing "decent" mesh? 

As for the bb penetrating that was just as likely caused by me rubbing at it like a twat when in the safezone. No guarantee that it penetrated from impact. It was a bit sharp so either or.

Not saying lensed goggles are not better but to say mesh is dangerous to use is a bit much.

• Supporters

Sure, a decent pair won't break. But I've seen a fair few players with crappy mesh playing too. They buy the cheapest set of eyepro online and jump right in without the knowledge that what they're wearing could cause their eyes serious damage. Those are the masks I'm mainly referring to and those are definitely dangerous. 

I don't think I'll ever understand why you'd recommend mesh after having a BB shatter and get in your eye though. The whole reason I wear eyepro is to stop BBs getting anywhere near it. If you had to go to hospital to get it removed then that's not something I'd want to use. But to each their own.  

Archived