Goggles!

GuyGotGuns
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi everyone – I’m new here but much of the information has been very useful.

I’ve just got into airsoft and have a G&G Raider M4.  I’m pretty well kitted out already but am having a nightmare of a time looking for goggles.  I know from paintballing that goggles fogging up can be hell and have a pretty ace double paned full mask, but it doesn’t really match my airsoft kit (fashionista). 

The problem I’m having, is I’d like to buy a pair of double paned goggles, preferably with a fan (but not essential) that have the correct impact rating.  This website has been extremely useful in identifying the correct impact protection https://airsoftnation.co.uk/eye-pro/

My issue is, that most goggles I have seen for sale seem to only be Impact resistant rated F, which is 150fps – clearly too low for airsoft.  Even rate B is 390 fps, so also too low for sniper and DMRs at 500fps.  Many goggles don’t even have ratings.  What’s worse, many airsoft websites are recommending and/or selling goggles which are rated F, which I imagine could cause some serious liability issues.

The only goggles I’ve found which seem to be appropriate (on paper) for airsoft are £120+.  I’m sure that most safety goggles would be sufficient, however if they aren’t rated for the correct impact protection, that’s certainly taking a risk with your eyes.

Some examples of commonly recommended goggles which are far too low on impact protection – 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pyramex-I-Force-Slim-Sporty-Goggle/dp/B00PWVBRQS

Does anyone have any tips of a good set of affordable goggles that are double paned, with the correct ballistic protection and possibly even a fan?  I’ve looked through the forums and many of the goggles recommended don’t meet these criteria.

All help appreciated!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

EN166 F may read as ~150fps but that's for a 0.86g steel bb. So it's impact energy is far greater than in airsoft.

I asked Bolle this question about their F rated RUSH glasses and this was their response.

Hello,

One parameter to take into account is the material of the projectile.

Our spectacles are tested against steel projectiles. At equal speed and weight the plastic balls are less resistant.

You can use F rated glasses, but we recommend goggles to have a full protection of the eyes.

If you want a premium protection, we have a specialized product range for military. You can check the products here : http://www.bolle-tactical.com/

These products are certified STANAG and MIL.

Our Platinum coated products should not mist. And our Tracker model is Platinum coated…

Make sure not to use solvent or alcohol based cleaning products, which remove the coating and can weaken the PC (material of the lenses).

I hope it helps.

Best regards,

Thanks - I hadn’t factored that in. So you have an affordable recommendation?

For me it was a bit pot luck with goggles, I bought loads of cheap ones.  I tested them full auto at 5m and they were fine, but easily fogged.  the more expensive FMA ones were marked at that distance, but still stood the onslaught.  I got the FMA ones as they have a fan to help with fogging.

I bought some 20x20mm fans from eBay and will be fitting them to the cheap goggles as a  mini project, as I have all the kit needed, soldeing iron, wire, shrink wrap etc from other projects.

Cheers

G

• Supporters

Those Pyramex goggles are fine for

2 hours ago, GuyGotGuns said:

I imagine could cause some serious liability issues.

What do you imagine that these words mean?

Those Pyramex goggles are fine.  They're the least-bad non-fan goggles that I've tried, and are flogged under a bunch of brands such as Valken or ... urgh... Novritsch.

However, if you're a sweaty sod, then fan is the way to go.  http://www.taiwangun.com/en/glasses-goggles/protective-goggle-mod-2-with-built-in-anti-fog-fan-dark-earth-fma work for me.  I was surprised that a 1.5v alkaline could actually do the job, but they do seem to work.

I've got the one with the fan on the side.  Seems to work ok, but will try in skirmish next week end.

Lowest protection rating you need for Airsoft is F and you can pick up a pair of Bolles for a tenner.

Had my Bolle Traker II's for £8, Bolle Rush for a fiver. Both F rated. Personally I trust the trackers more. They don't fog, but they get wet if I'm not moving enough. So I'm a fat sweaty old guy... so I just have to deal with it :D 

Rogerborg - I imagine those words mean what they mean. I’m not sure what you’re getting at.

I hadn’t realised the test was with a .86 steel B.B. so that’s handy to know.

cheers for the tips

I always wondered if the fog demist wires in car windscreens would work. Like whats on the front screen of new fords.  No moving parts, so simpler. Though i guess little batteries wont have the strength to generate enough heat?

3 minutes ago, kasaran said:

I always wondered if the fog demist wires in car windscreens would work. Like whats on the front screen of new fords.  No moving parts, so simpler. Though i guess little batteries wont have the strength to generate enough heat?

There's probably also the issue of those working by heat - so you'd have a heat source right next to your face.
Which might not help :D

• Supporters
16 minutes ago, kasaran said:

Well essentially yes they would work, but in practice it would be a little difficult, the wires(elements) produce heat when electricity is passed through them, to produce the right amount of current you’d probably need a big ass battery. 

Revision Locusts do have a thermal pane which is essentially exactly the same, the “elements” on these go around the edge of the lense, which usually fogs up first.

6 minutes ago, Prisce said:

Well essentially yes they would work, but in practice it would be a little difficult, the wires(elements) produce heat when electricity is passed through them, to produce the right amount of current you’d probably need a big ass battery. 

Revision Locusts do have a thermal pane which is essentially exactly the same, the “elements” on these go around the edge of the lense, which usually fogs up first.

Not suprised its been tried. But fair enough. Fans or mysterious lotions or the only real options then

• Moderators

Have a search on the forum, loads on fogging, goggles etc 

i have revision locust fan goggles, one with foam still and one without, neither fog but the do have ‘drizzle’ in places and times. I also have the thermal lens and same issues 

what may not work well for me may be perfect for you and vice verse, there is no right or wrong answer

a few members have the ESS goggles with no foam and have similar results 

• Supporters
On 22/04/2018 at 9:02 AM, GuyGotGuns said:

Rogerborg - I imagine those words mean what they mean. I’m not sure what you’re getting at.

Probably a topic for another thread, but whose liability are you thinking of?

If you're thinking of a claim against the retailer, maybe, but what would you use as a yardstick of protection?  I guess 2.5J is the most we should expect from any legal airsoft gun in the UK, with about 1.2J being a common impact. EN166-F is notionally only rated to 0.87J but as noted, that's with steel BB rather than plastic.  However, it is technically inadequate for those energies, and while I haven't heard of penetrations, I have seen video of a lens being shot out.

What got me wondering is if there's any duty of care owed by sites, or even other players.  I've never seen any site specify what sort of eye protection is required, and while it might sound like a big stretch, you wouldn't shoot at a target who wasn't wearing eye protection, and we've seen evidence of mesh eye pro in particular being inadequate.  Knowing that, should we really be happy about going out against people wearing cheap mesh?

Hopefully it'll never be an issue, but if it ever is, some ambulance chaser is going to have a field day with it.

• Supporters

When you play at a site they will chrono your weapon before allowing you to play. I think checking the quality of eyepro should be required too. An overpowered rifle is just as dangerous as weak eyepro. I don't mean shooting them every time you go out, but having a look at them to see if they're adequate. Usually you can tell just by looking at the rating on the plastic. None of my sites do this, but it's worth a mention right?

I do mention the possible dangers of using mesh to players who wear them and some have listened and switched them out. Others just ignored me and continued to use them. I definitely don't feel comfortable playing with people who use mesh as eye pro knowing what a BB can do to them.

• Moderators
On 20/04/2018 at 9:18 PM, Rogerborg said:

http://www.taiwangun.com/en/glasses-goggles/protective-goggle-mod-2-with-built-in-anti-fog-fan-dark-earth-fma work for me.  I was surprised that a 1.5v alkaline could actually do the job, but they do seem to work.

On 20/04/2018 at 9:23 PM, MisterG said:

I've got the one with the fan on the side.  Seems to work ok, but will try in skirmish next week end.

have you had the lens shot at or has it taken a hit?, i have a pair of FMA goggles, fan at top, but the lenses are a lot thinner than my Revision ones and reviews i had seen online showed they were marked after a hit and were not recommended by the guy

i think you could cut a smith optics lens to fit, cant remember now tbh which rand as it was last year!

curious as i gave them to my brother and could get them back to try out next game, he has yet to use them as he prefers his mesh....

I've seen on a few sites rules about using full seal eye pro, but that is about it. SOme sites state they will test shot any eye pro they do not think/know if safe. So if you turn up with a pair that is not common, be prepared to get them test shot. 

From what I have learned, frames and lenses are rated independently when it comes to goggles. Glasses (with no head band/strap) can only ever be rated F - no higher. To get a higher rating, the frames must have a strap. 

Cheap protection found on ebay may have F rated lenses, but not have F rated frames, which is why the lens pops out when shot. 

image.png.41f16d5a8f1db90d9b31db01357c1fcd.png

Source : http://www.safetyspecs.co.uk/BS EN 166.htm 

Personally I wouldn't trust mesh to protect my eyes. I've had bb's shatter on my face mask, and yes, no damage done to my face/teeth, but the thought of the shrapnel going into my eyes freaks me out.

I honestly prefer glasses to goggles but mainly because I'm a sweaty headed bastid. That said I own two pairs of Bolle Silium, one clear and one smoked and they're really great. Super duper light weight, strong as fuck though. Took burst to the face first outing (ooo-errr) and was pleasantly surprised/shocked how it shrugged off the impact. I remember standing up, raising my hand and calling HIT in confusion for a second as my brain calculated what just happened....

• Supporters
7 minutes ago, Arwen said:

I've seen on a few sites rules about using full seal eye pro, but that is about it. SOme sites state they will test shot any eye pro they do not think/know if safe. So if you turn up with a pair that is not common, be prepared to get them test shot. 

From what I have learned, frames and lenses are rated independently when it comes to goggles. Glasses (with no head band/strap) can only ever be rated F - no higher. To get a higher rating, the frames must have a strap. 

Cheap protection found on ebay may have F rated lenses, but not have F rated frames, which is why the lens pops out when shot. 

Source : http://www.safetyspecs.co.uk/BS EN 166.htm 

Personally I wouldn't trust mesh to protect my eyes. I've had bb's shatter on my face mask, and yes, no damage done to my face/teeth, but the thought of the shrapnel going into my eyes freaks me out.

One site I played at would only allow Oakley glasses with metal frames but none of the plastics for this very reason . I also just don’t trust mesh to protect my eyes sufficently to use them , BBs are manufactured from plastic , they can have manufacturing faults , wether it’s voids or air bubbles I’ve seen way too many cheap ones shatter on impact and ‘high end’ ones as well to trust mesh with my long term vision .

• Supporters
50 minutes ago, Arwen said:

Check my working, but F rating is a 0.86g BB at 45m/s.  I make that 0.5 * 0.00086 * (45 * 45) or 0.87075J.  We should be expecting impacts of over 1J, so I'm not sure why an F rated frame would be considered as good enough for that purpose.

35 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

One site I played at would only allow Oakley glasses with metal frames but none of the plastics for this very reason .

I admire their good intent, but there's a problem with sites doing that.  If they get into the business of saying "X is OK, but Y is not", then they've created a duty of care where one might not have existed.  And if X fails, they may have created liability.  You should be very careful about setting yourself up an arbiter of what PPE is sufficient for a task, unless you're prepared to be a test case.

The tl;dr version is that we really should be using at least EN166 B rated eye protection.  I wonder how many of us do?

• Supporters
34 minutes ago, CiderPunk said:

I took a few to the OT lower mesh mask last week, I was spitting out gritty bits of paint from the inside for a while, wouldn't want them in my eye!

Won't do much harm if it does. I had a chunk of bb penetrate my outer eye and other than being a bit itchy no biggie. Didn't stop me playing and took 5 minutes to get out at the hospital next day. 

post-10973-0-83278500-1474280680.jpg

Archived