Eye Pro / Face Pro Test

MisterG
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Bought some cheap goggles off eBay before I know much about safety, so thougtht I would test them.

Stood up ok, mesh mask not as well. 

These were shot with full auto at about 5 metres with a G36c at about 350fps using .20g BBs.

Mask was dented (hard to see from the photos) and paint chipped.

Conclusion, I won't be wearing mesh eye pro.

P1040003.thumb.JPG.25beb7a2debff14e410eead33360f941.JPGP1040002.thumb.JPG.c48421d7c39cdf91fdc9c128e5cd3e84.JPG

No significant marks on the eye pro, dented the mask and paint chipped.

Cheers

G

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks.  Was expecting my result to go the other way.  I.e. for the cheap goggles to fail.

Cheers

G

I paid £17 from memory, UK seller.  Goggles were 2 for £12 from China

33 minutes ago, MisterG said:

I paid £17 from memory, UK seller.  Goggles were 2 for £12 from China

Hmm.. UK seller but obviously poorly made. I have a similar chea0 mesh and it's really uncomfortable so replaced it with this;

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KDWEB2C?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

I wonder if it would suffer the same as yours. I really need to get my AEG finished and test it. How long did you hit with full auto for?

Link didn't work, this is the one I have https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cobra-Style-Mesh-Protection-Airsoft/dp/B00Q6J3NQC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1524087368&sr=8-1&keywords=Cobra+Cp+Atp+Style

I'd say it was a 20 round burst give or take in each dent.

Cheers

G

4 minutes ago, MisterG said:

Link didn't work, this is the one I have https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cobra-Style-Mesh-Protection-Airsoft/dp/B00Q6J3NQC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1524087368&sr=8-1&keywords=Cobra+Cp+Atp+Style

I'd say it was a 20 round burst give or take in each dent.

Cheers

G

My bad, phone chopped the end off...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01KDWEB2C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As soon as I have the AEG charged up I'm gonna empty an entire mag into my face/eye-pro. I've taken direct hits to the face at reasonably clsoe range before but only a couple plinks.

I liked the video the most important piece of equipment you own I protection. Buy the best eye and face protection you can afford, being blinded will ruin your day- life.

• Supporters
7 hours ago, jcheeseright said:

You’re going to trust your eyes to a £12 made in China set of goggles?

are you out of your fucking mind? 

Even worse it was 2 for £12!

People need to realise that when it comes to eyepro there is no such thing as a bargain.

I bought those before knowing much about Airsoft and joining the forum.  However as mentioned before, they were tested at 5m full auto at 350fps with .20g BBs and sustained no damage. 

There are fakes of various products around these days like gloves, not sure if there are fake googles about, but if there are, then even if you think you have a good pair of branded glasses it may not be the case.

Have you tested yours? 

I now have better eye pro.

Cheers

G

• Supporters

Point blank range tests are the best. If you still have them try again at half a meter and see if they still hold up. 

I'd be very dubious on anything at that price - especially from a China - and wouldnt wear them without extensive testing. 

What's your current eyepro?

• Supporters

‘Testing’, do you test the airbags in your car? 

No.  

Trust the safety rating of equipment that has been properly tested to destruction by professionals and buy from an authorised retailer. In the U.K. I would recommend tactical-kit.co.uk as they get all their stuff direct from the manufacturers in the USA. 

• Supporters
36 minutes ago, MisterG said:

I bought those before knowing much about Airsoft and joining the forum.  However as mentioned before, they were tested at 5m full auto at 350fps with .20g BBs and sustained no damage. 

There are fakes of various products around these days like gloves, not sure if there are fake googles about, but if there are, then even if you think you have a good pair of branded glasses it may not be the case.

Have you tested yours? 

Cheers

G

Easy answer is do not buy things like eyepro off ebay. There are plenty of reputable retailers so pay the few quid extra and have peace of mind.

I have various face pro but mainly use an I4 lately and it has been shot point blank more times than I can remember.

Would never use fleabay for anything where safety and quality is important as that is just stupid.

EDIT: You can't really test a pair of glasses by shooting them a few times. Leave that to the experts in a lab who are responsible fot the ratings.

• Supporters
3 hours ago, MisterG said:

Have you tested yours? 

Cheers

G

If you didn't test them point blank with a 500fps boltie then you haven't really done a representative test.

I have no need to test my eyepro as the good people of the BSI and ANSI have already done that for me.

4 hours ago, Gepard said:

What's your current eyepro?

Valken Paintball mask for CBQ and FMA googles for outdoors.

Cheers

G

Please forgive the stupid question - it's directed to anyone who can answer it:

Why on Earth would you shoot your own eye pro at close range to 'test' it?

Because surely, even if it didn't shatter, it would be weakened. And therefore you're no longer as well protected as you were?

I can understand wanting peace of mind - mine comes from buying decent eye pro, rated for the military bods, from a reputable source. My thinking is that if it's good enough for shrapnel, its good enough for BBs!

• Supporters

I've tested all of my eyepro, including my ESS ICE - which is rated beyond what airsoft requires. 

Why? Because if I've got a product that doesn't work I'd rather find out before I go onto the field. 

I didn't need to - they all worked fine. But I know it for certain as I've done it myself. 

Besides, I've got spare lenses if it marks them. 

If only I took the same precaution with my teeth.. :D

• Supporters

Don’t know if your aware or not but those mesh masks are exactly the same ones you get of fleabay for half the price . One Tigris/valken/etc they don’t make them there selves , they just buy them in from China and re-brand them .

That's why when I learnt more I tested my eye pro.  On vids I have seen mesh looks the least safe of all.

Cheers

G

2 hours ago, Gepard said:

If only I took the same precaution with my teeth.. :D

I like my teeth as they are :D

Was tempted by a gas mask face pro for CBQ, but by then I had learned more about eypro and they didn't look they would stand up to close range shots, so went with the paintball mask in the end.  In the end safety won the day.

Cheers

G

the mesh is made of steel , it will dent  , thats no big deal , the question is how many hits can it take in the same spot before a bb goes through?

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Careless said:

the mesh is made of steel , it will dent  , thats no big deal , the question is how many hits can it take in the same spot before a bb goes through?

And question for your question is ; how many times will it actually get hit on the same spot ? :D

7 hours ago, Druid799 said:

Don’t know if your aware or not but those mesh masks are exactly the same ones you get of fleabay for half the price . One Tigris/valken/etc they don’t make them there selves , they just buy them in from China and re-brand them .

Having owned several different pairs of mesh pro I can say with certainty that the OT mask is not rebranded from the same company. The build quality Is night and day and you can tell this alone by the comfort.

• Mostly Retired Moderators

If my mesh lower was only dented from twenty point blank range shots, I'd be happy with that.

They aren't made out of titanium after all.

However as the others have said, please get some proper eye protection. Nothing will put you off Airsoft faster than losing an eye, it's a bit inconvenient...

Archived