Airsoft equipment bought by MOD

SCAR_Jester
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey guys and gals,

My manager (ex Marine) just told me about an Airsoft’s company that made a fancy rig that the MOD bought which subsiquently failed and fell apart.

He didn’t name names.

Just wondering if anyone here knows the full story? As I’m quite interested

Cheers

-Corky

1 hour ago, Corky2110 said:

Hey guys and gals,

My manager (ex Marine) just told me about an Airsoft’s company that made a fancy rig that the MOD bought which subsiquently failed and fell apart.

He didn’t name names.

Just wondering if anyone here knows the full story? As I’m quite interested

Cheers

-Corky

Are you sure it wasn’t Palitoy?

They were reputably the manufacturers of the L85A1 in the 80s

This will be a military urban myth, and / or the more likely situation that squaddies buy kit and there are very good manufacturers, crap manufacturers and manufacturers that make things for airsoft etc that people buy because it cheaper or shiney 

As an addendum though, I did go to a demonstration once of ‘Future soldier’ with all the conceptual ideas you see of ‘future technology’ alongside ‘COTS soldier’ (Commercial of the shelf soldier)

This was an illustration of all the ‘future’ technology really existing today and being available on Amazon etc. This was not just saying ‘we are developing these for future warfare and to be squaddie proof’ but that in Afghanistan etc the soldier of today is awaiting future technology but fighting against amateur irregulars who are arming themselves with simple cheap basic kit such as an off the shelf pocket sized drone 

This also contributes to the ‘bought from an airsoft shop’ stories

Probably not an “Airsoft” company as such, but company that people use for private security, Airsoft and other things like Miltec or Condor

I recently had a discussion with a couple of armed police officers and could of sworn that I noticed some Kombat uk made items being worn. I didn't ask and just past it off as some private purchase tid bits slapped on for what ever reason. Visited my parents and noticed some new looking gear on the side, what looked like a kombat uk clone of a 5.11 pack. That crap along with condor and other gear of questionable quality is on the kit re-question form, no idea if that's for every constabulary though. 

I'm not knocking condor, some of their kit isn't to bad depending on what it is and so forth.

So It wouldn't surprise me if the MOD has been conned (familiar story) into trying/buying into some crap gear, nothing new I'm afraid.

From what I’ve heard here, it sounds like a common thing!

I would have to say Condor sounds like a likely culprit seeing as though some stuff is good, it has many flaws and fairly “cheap”.

Archived