LiPo batteries, charger and so on...

sonofsammo
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

After some advice, (after using search!)...
I just ordered my ARP9 at a knockdown price of £160 delivered - woooohooooo!
Which meant getting the drum mag was a no brainer ;-)
However, up until now, I am a gas gun man. Because electrickery scares me.
So can someone explain to a total simpleton which battery I need and what sort of charger. (either with or without the extension. I'm guessing as I'm scared that the extension is a good idea as it gives me more space to play with?).
It seems LiPo is needed, but some void the warranty. And some go bang when you charge them.
I need some kind of charger that allows me to leave it all alone and not worry I'm going to burn the house down...
Please help me learn the mysteries!
Thanks in advance 

• Supporters

Have yourself a little search of the forum.

The ImaxB6 AC is universally recommended. Easy to use and works with most batteries.

Youll be fine with a 7.4v lipo. Get yourself a safe fire resistant place to charge them(bat safe or equivalent). 

Any other questions , just ask.

29 minutes ago, Prisce said:

Youll be fine with a 7.4v lipo

It's an ETU model. 11.1 lipo only as far as I'm aware.

• Supporters

Didn’t think it was 11.1v only. Think you can use 7.4 still can’t you? As far as I’m aware you can use a 7.4 with any gun. But only 11.1 with mosfets/Etu?

13 minutes ago, Iceni said:

It's an ETU model. 11.1 lipo only as far as I'm aware.

@Lozart @Sitting Duck

They wrote a lot in a few older threads about this and are more knowledgeable than I. From what I have read and seen when run on 7.4v you gamble with the ETU. Some guns will fire a couple of shots then stop, Others will fail to see the battery, Some work fine. 11.1 for the most part solves the issue and I have seen this first hand with the ETU installed in my own M4 and in my shooting partners. We were sorely disappointed when we found we needed new cells after purchasing the units for our older G&G guns.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporters
8 minutes ago, sonofsammo said:

So, I bought my LiPos. And finally charged them today, ready to go and play.
But then didn't get to play.
So now what do I need to with them?
TIA 😁

well unless you're planning on not playing for the next 6 months just leave them.

best to take them out of the gun- some electronic units can drain (and if left unchecked kill) lipo's, don't ask how i know that.

the key with lipo's is don't overcharge them (which means don't charge them when they're full and use a proper lipo balance charger), and don't over-discharge them (so if you start to lose rof during a game don't keep firing till it completely dies, although the electronics system likely has a cutoff if it's designed for lipos from the factory)

1 minute ago, Adolf Hamster said:

well unless you're planning on not playing for the next 6 months just leave them.

best to take them out of the gun- some electronic units can drain (and if left unchecked kill) lipo's, don't ask how i know that.

the key with lipo's is don't overcharge them (which means don't charge them when they're full and use a proper lipo balance charger), and don't over-discharge them (so if you start to lose rof during a game don't keep firing till it completely dies, although the electronics system likely has a cutoff if it's designed for lipos from the factory)

Nice one. Cheers 😄
I'm supposed to be playing next weekend - will they need a top up by then, if disconnected?

• Supporters
5 minutes ago, sonofsammo said:

Nice one. Cheers 😄
I'm supposed to be playing next weekend - will they need a top up by then, if disconnected?

not really, if you're worried then i'd advise something like a battery doctor (other brands are available), it's basically a voltmeter that plugs into the white balance plug and shows you all the cell voltages- very handy tool for making sure your batterys are in good order.

i checked mine this morning and they were reading ~4.16v per cell after not being charged for around a month, given nominal is 4.2 i'll take that.

17 hours ago, sonofsammo said:

That looks like a knock off version of this:

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/imax-b6ac-v2-professional-balance-charger-discharger-uk-plug.html

Which is the one I have.

Doddle to use imho. 

Thanks for the tip, based on that I ordered one.

Cheers

G

4 minutes ago, MisterG said:

Thanks for the tip, based on that I ordered one.

Cheers

G

No worries dude - it was @Lozart that suggested it to me.
The only thing that was missing was a mini tamiya balance lead, which I didn't realise until it arrived, so had ot get one separately, which I got from component shop. I got a couple and it was less than a fiver iirc.

Was that the Deans to mini-male Tamiya connector?

Cheers

G

2 minutes ago, MisterG said:

Was that the Deans to mini-male Tamiya connector?

Cheers

G

It was male deans to female mini tamiya (I was being dim when I said male tamiya in another thread).
They've got them for £1.50 at component shop if you need 'em.

Looks like price went up, but got a couple.

Thanks for the heads up.

Cheers

G

Archived