Airsoft Forums UK
Akky86

Hello! Just joined, live in Devon, looking for advice starting.

Hello everybody,

Just left the military, always fancied the airsoft side of things and now I'll probs never shoot a real weapon again so I may as well start now!

Live in South Devon, looking to be an active member of the airsoft community and have fun whilst doing so! 

I read a few posts on here about noob guides but they were written up to 10 years ago so not sure how much has changed technology-wise or products since then?

I'm happy with kit and clothing as I have so much of it left over! What I am looking to get is some advice. Obviously I'm in my probation "Two-tone" phase so I got a Cyma CM.022, any good for now? Until I get a few skirmishes under my belt?

What about clubs/sites/meets near me?

Cheers!

Also, is it worth splashing out on a decent two-tone AEG rifle now and spraying it RIF when I get registered? Is that normal? 

Or keep the cheap two-tone and splash out later? I'm thinking G&G M4 Raider.

1 hour ago, Akky86 said:

Hello everybody,

so I got a Cyma CM.022, any good for now? Until I get a few skirmishes under my belt?

Hi sir & welcome....

F*ck me, that 022 is a plastic gearbox kiddy gun from JBBG or something

Well you would be hard pushed to compete at skirmish level tbh

Should have grabbed either a Cyma 5xx M4 or AK - best bang for buck under £100

Or a Raider is a good gun for £120 at SWAS Airsoft

Alas like many - myself included you probably stumbled across this place

AFTER you bought your first gun - yeah we often learn the hard way.....

Your 022 is just a kiddy plinker for shooting in back garden

Stay away from sites with " BB " in their names

JustBBGuns, BBGun4Less, OnlyBBGuns etc.....

(well Only are not as bad as first two, but you need to know what you are buying)

SWAS Airsoft & PatrolBase do the Cyma's - decent starter ones & Raider plus others

Read through some guides - two good ones are in my sig written by very wise mofo's

Have a read up, welcome to the toy gun forum for big kids who never grow up :D

Welcome! :)

Those guides may be a little old but all of the information in them is still relevant today. Well worth taking note. 

As Sitting Duck has already mentioned the gun you have won't perform well in a skirmish. I'd advise renting until you get your defense sorted before buying a gun. It'll give you a good idea on what the sport consists of and by asking a few questions here and there the regulars will be happy to help you out. 

If you don't mind the two tone and are desperate to have your own I'd highly recommend the CM16 series if on a budget or brands such as JG and CYMA. At the bare minimum look at spending about £100. 

The ICS L85 is a fantastic replica of the SA80. By far the favourite gun I've owned. It may be a bit more familiar to you considering your previous service although it is about double the price of a CM16. Shoots very well, however. Anything by TM will serve you well too but you'll be looking at about £300-400. 

The classified section is the sales area of the forum. You may wish to root around and see if you can pick up something second hand. Just check in with the "dreamers" thread because there's a lot of people selling raiders for double their worth. :rolleyes:

For sites near you just Google "Airsoft sites in (your location)". Too tired to add anything else right now. Feel free to follow up with any questions but have a search around beforehand as most of what you want to know has already been answered in previous threads. 

Welcome :)

I would have recommended renting until you get your site membership (and could get UKARA if wanted) and then spending money buying a RIF.

Try using the search tool to find sites, 3 character minimum length, so choose a search term and have a read through results.

For example "Plymouth"

Click the link in my signature for a UK directory of airsoft sites made by a member here. It's a WIP but has lots of helpful info.

Hi guys,  thanks so much for the replies.

Yeah I knew the cm022 was bad when I got it, but it was a mystery box hah. I know better now.

Is it difficult to strip a decent rifle to spray myself when I get UKARA reg?

I looked at the CM16, pretty interested. And I saw the L85s as well for nostalgia if anything - but hardly any of them are an accurate representation and I feel I'd be too OCD critical of a rifle I know so well! 

I will take budget into consideration for now, purely because I want to make sure I enjoy it and fully commit before I start spending hundreds. 

I looked at sites but it seems like they do games where you just turn up? I was hoping to take part in an organised meet, where you make friends and stay in touch for future games etc? Is that the norm? Is renting guns cost effective compared to just buying one?

Sorry about the long one! Something I never say to my wife..! Hah

Cheers,

Whoever packed your mystery box is an arsehole.

The CM16 is fairly straightforward to disassemble. There's lots of videos on YouTube with tutorials on how to do this. It's a good budget starter.

Whilst there are events across the country your average game will be a skirmish which is typically just a turn up and play. My local has Socials they put on a few times a year which tends to have a 100-200 people.

Each site is different. Either way you'll be sure to meet some new people who you click with. There's a few forum members that play in your area so perhaps you could meet up at some point and they can show you the ropes. 

There's also games called milsims which are basically just a large scale skirmish with everybody in multicam. :lol:

No, but seriously I've heard they're a lot of fun. You might enjoy them. What was your role whilst you were in the forces btw?

Typically renting isn't much more than £5-10 on top of your entry fee. Some sites like Alpha 55 just have the entry fee with everything included so you have the option of using rentals or your own at no additional cost. 

I think It's best to wait and get your defense sorted before buying a gun. Two tone is just.. Ugh.. 

Instead get your eyepro and boots sorted first. There's lots of threads on the best eye pro, so have a search around. Personally I use the ESS ICE. 

As for boots, you probably have some. Just make sure it's got ankle suppoort and good treads. 

Thanks man, real good advice there!

I was an aircraft engineer in the Commando Helicopter Force for 10 yesrs, so obvs not as well-versed as infantry, but a cut above the regular engineers as we get trained by marines and have to keep current, and we always deploy with them. I only left last week so just starting civvy life now! 

Yeah I'm not worried about clothing and kit, I probs need to get something to cover my mouth though but I have eye protection (Issued stuff, good bit of kit)

Thanks again, you've given me loads to ponder about, I'll defo go to something and let you know how it goes!

Comfiest lower face pro is the half mesh/half material that has two straps over a single. One Tigris do one for around £20 (can be found on Amazon) and they come in most flavours.

Hi and welcome. There is a site in Newton Abbot that holds regular skirmishes there was one yesterday. Some of the Plymouth guys come along to our North Devon site from time to time too.

Enjoy and have fun !

36 minutes ago, Duff said:

Comfiest lower face pro is the half mesh/half material that has two straps over a single. One Tigris do one for around £20 (can be found on Amazon) and they come in most flavours.

Done! Great spot, thanks!

This just came up in classifieds. Again I recommend waiting until you get your UKARA but if you intend on buying a CM16 before then this one isn't a bad price with the extras and condition it's in. 

Thanks for that. A few people now have said to wait until UKARA before getting anything, is that purely for the colour? Because if it is, surely it's easy just to take it apart and spray it matt black.

Is there something else I'm missing? Is spraying guns black (Or any colour) not the done thing?

Ta,

It's just more hassle. You'll need to tape up the gun and/or disassemble it, strip the paint, spray it over in black and then put a clear coat on for the best results. 

7 minutes ago, Gepard said:

It's just more hassle. You'll need to tape up the gun and/or disassemble it, strip the paint, spray it over in black and then put a clear coat on for the best results. 

Or.... half disassemble it, mask it to fuck and blast it with a rattle can every 15 minutes until done. ;) Satin black for added stealth.

Fair enough, as long as it's just aesthetics, not performance. I'll just wait, renting guns for the time being can't be too bad. I think I'll try Skirmish Games in Exeter.

No one really cares about two tones - or if they do they're the type of people you don't want to play with anyhow. It's a good way to start, but I found it better to rent and borrow from a friend until I hit the UKARA target. Not only so I didn't have to go two tone, but it gave me the chance to try out a few different styles of gun G36 or M4, and now I love my AK :D So don't be in a rush to buy until you know you'll be happy with the play style eg. long gun / short gun. Same goes for gear. Indoor or outdoor gear. I prefer indoor so waterproof boots, camo and goretex are of little value to me. It's all about dark and lightweight for me.

That's good advice, play the field a bit until I find what I like. It seems dreadfully easy to get UKARA though, 3 games not exceeding 2 months but more than 56 days from first to last. So within 2 months I'll potentially be registered, doesn't seem difficult? How long is a game, to make that day count? Obvs as long as possible hah.

13 minutes ago, Akky86 said:

That's good advice, play the field a bit until I find what I like. It seems dreadfully easy to get UKARA though, 3 games not exceeding 2 months but more than 56 days from first to last. So within 2 months I'll potentially be registered, doesn't seem difficult? How long is a game, to make that day count? Obvs as long as possible hah.

Doesn't matter how long. half day, full day. As long as you play at a UKARA registered site they'll tick the box. I got mine with ZED and they charge £10 per year to register me on the UKARA database, but there is no site membership fee. Some sites require you to become a member then they'll register you with UKARA for free.

56 days seems a long time when you have cash burning a hole in your pocket and you're fired up to play. But patience stops you spending money on the wrong stuff.

The most frustrating part for me was not being able to play the 3 games at different sites :( We're very nomadic and don't like to play a site too often or in some cases ever again.

Okay brilliant, I want to ask a comparison question between two guns but I know forum etiquette so I'll ask it on the guns section, I'd appreciate if one of you would answer it though? I'll post it now. Hah, thanks for your time so far!

Ask any questions you have here. Makes it easier to refer back by keeping it in one thread. 

Crap, I'm so sorry - already posted it. I thought I'd be in the shit if I broke the rules and I've only just joined! Hah

Well, this is quoted from what I wrote on that post;

"So I KNOW this is a no brainer, but can somebody help me with why the G&G is better?

G&G CM16 - http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/airsoft-m4-m15-m16-variants/combat-machine-cm16-raider---black.htm#.WtUc2UxFyw0

Cyma CM.516 - http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/airsoft-m4-m15-m16-variants/cyma-cm-516-m4a1-carbine-w-urx-style-handguard-black.htm#.WtUcf0xFyw0

Now, it's obvious the G&G is better, not just from advice on this forum but it's clear from the pictures too. Is it simply looks, or is the build quality THAT much better? Because it's £60 odd difference, which if not justified I could spend on gear/upgrades. "

If you prefer to answer it here, or there?

I'll remember in future! Haha, thanks!

Doesn't matter mate. Makes no difference. A mod can merge the topics if they care. 

In answer to your question the CYMA M4s are perfectly good enough guns. The CM16 is just better in terms of overall performance and quality. Especially the receiever and bucking.

Sound, cheers for all that!

12 hours ago, Gepard said:

Doesn't matter mate. Makes no difference. A mod can merge the topics if they care. 

In answer to your question the CYMA M4s are perfectly good enough guns. The CM16 is just better in terms of overall performance and quality. Especially the receiever and bucking.

+1