Syria

steakandpotato
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So I assumed a thread would be started by now, but it hasn't. So I'll start it:

I assume everyone knows about what happened last night in Syria and was just wondering what everyone's thoughts were on the matter?

• Supporters

We blew up 3 chemical weapons facilities with no civilian casualties. That's a good thing. These weapons need to be destroyed. 

edit: By 'we' I mean the US, France and UK. Our involvement was quite small compared to the US - The 4 Tornados each fired 2 Storm Shadow missiles destroying 1 facility. 

• Head Moderator

I blame Brexit.  And Blair.

• Supporters
16 hours ago, Gepard said:

We blew up 3 chemical weapons facilities with no civilian casualties. That's a good thing. These weapons need to be destroyed. 

edit: By 'we' I mean the US, France and UK. Our involvement was quite small compared to the US - The 4 Tornados each fired 2 Storm Shadow missiles destroying 1 facility. 

Not if you listen to the Syrian State media. 3 civs got caught. Trouble is with the media, you can’t trust any of them, so we will never actually know the truth.

Anyone who thinks all of this is over is delusional.

I personally don’t believe in the bombings, they are indiscriminate, but I don’t think we should be putting boots on the ground, too much risk.

The cause of all of this was our former governments removing Suddam Hussain from power. We interfere, and we make things worse. No governments ever go far enough to prevent issues rising up, or they go too far. 

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Prisce said:

Not if you listen to the Syrian State media. 3 civs got caught. Trouble is with the media, you can’t trust any of them, so we will never actually know the truth.

I did read up on the declassified documents the French released and it said no casualties at the time of posting. I think we won't know for certain until a neutral party carries out an assessment.  

Either way it sucks. The middle east is a warzone and has been for some time. I imagine a lot of Syrians just accept it as a fact of life. We should have intervened more in 2013. 

On ‎15‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 11:50, Prisce said:

Someone on twitter who is allegedly from Syria has claimed nobody was injured in the bombings. Again, like Gepard said - You must take everything with a bit of salt

100 different locations? Where have you heard that? It was three:

1. Command post in Homs
  2. Chemical weapons storage in Homs
  3. Scientific research centre in Damascus

• Supporters
16 minutes ago, steakandpotato said:

Someone on twitter who is allegedly from Syria has claimed nobody was injured in the bombings. Again, like Gepard said - You must take everything with a bit of salt

Exactly the problem. We will never know the truth. Nowadays the truth is like opinions, everyone’s got different ones.

• Supporters

Historians will look back and ask "what the fuck went wrong here?". We're living in such a weird timeline atm. 

5 minutes ago, Gepard said:

Historians will look back and ask "what the fuck went wrong here?". We're living in such a weird timeline atm. 

No they won't.

War in that region and war in general worldwide has and always will happen.

Historians wouldn't have anything to write about without war. Its created and shaped everything.

The word History means His Story, it's written by the winners. The losers are silenced.

People really need to accept the nature of our species. It's why we do it so easily.

• Supporters

Finally someone else who sees it!

On ‎15‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 20:15, Immortal said:

No they won't

It was 3 targets 105 missiles. Probably where the 100 came from;)

If we bombed every country who used chemical weapons and tortured their own citizens we would have blown up America after the Waco siege!! 

Should keep our nose out of it! We likely sold them the weapons or means to make them in the first bloody place!! 

Or maybe thats the point, maybe they bought them off of our competitor and the government doest like it?

Who knows, like above we will NEVER know the truth behind anything anymore! I think its interesting Russia are painting it as propaganda and a false flag.... Theres a lot happening in the past year or so for the western world to want to keep Russia at arms length, maybe this is all part of the long term plan :( 

• Supporters
7 hours ago, Albiscuit said:

we would have blown up America after the Waco siege!! 

Eh?

2 hours ago, Lozart said:

Eh?

They used tear gas and torture techniques on the compound, knowing full well there were many children in there.

1 hour ago, Albiscuit said:

They used tear gas and torture techniques on the compound, knowing full well there were many children in there.

PsyOps or torture depending on your point of view

However America’s history with its people is full of examples

• Supporters
14 hours ago, Albiscuit said:

Tear gas is hardly in the same league as the kind of shit that Syria et al have been known to use. 

• Supporters

Just increase the FPS of your airsoft guns so they become section 5 firearms. /s

Slightly more aggressive than my plan to stop me getting killed should society as we know it crumble - an eco-friendly bicycle and free health advice.

@Lozart

Still a banned chemical weapon though.

But whether its spraying deodorant in someones face or mustard gassing a village we (and the so called developed western world) are hardly innocent and are total hypocrites on the subject. Its not our fight. We need to clean our back yard first before laying down the lay to others, you think we would have learnt from Blair :( 

Bombing Syria to warn Syria to stop bombing Syria!!

Feck off!! We should keep our noses (and bankers) out of it. Because its all about money/power/resources at the end of the day. 

We would happily start dropping bombs at I cant even begin to guess at the cost but missiles aint cheap, but our poor still cant afford to eat, we will make more refugees and destabilise even further an unstable country and yet will we then take in refugees? not flipping likely!!

• Supporters
4 minutes ago, Albiscuit said:

@Lozart

Still a banned chemical weapon though.

But whether its spraying deodorant in someones face or mustard gassing a village we (and the so called developed western world) are hardly innocent and are total hypocrites on the subject. Its not our fight. We need to clean our back yard first before laying down the lay to others, you think we would have learnt from Blair :( 

Bombing Syria to warn Syria to stop bombing Syria!!

Feck off!! We should keep our noses (and bankers) out of it. Because its all about money/power/resources at the end of the day. 

We would happily start dropping bombs at I cant even begin to guess at the cost but missiles aint cheap, but our poor still cant afford to eat, we will make more refugees and destabilise even further an unstable country and yet will we then take in refugees? not flipping likely!!

Right, first off tear gas is only a banned weapon in war, not for law enforcement use (as in the case of Waco).

Yes, the irony of bombing someone to stop them bombing people is not lost on me but this was about drawing a line in the sand and standing by what we as the international community have said is "too far".

As for the cost of the weapons, the Storm Shadow missiles we used are valued at £790,000 per missile. The defence budget in 2016/2017 was £35.3bn, the welfare budget was £264bn so let's get things into perspective.

Regardless, would you rather we stand by and just let a regime like Assads carry on using chemical weapons against their own people? 

On 4/18/2018 at 9:39 AM, Lozart said:

Regardless, would you rather we stand by and just let a regime like Assads carry on using chemical weapons against their own people? 

On 4/18/2018 at 9:39 AM, Lozart said:

As for the cost of the weapons, the Storm Shadow missiles we used are valued at £790,000 per missile. The defence budget in 2016/2017 was £35.3bn, the welfare budget was £264bn so let's get things into perspective.

The problem is we have no proof he did. We have our medias word against Syrians and Russias, all of which are going to lie to further their own causes.

America tried to set Assad up a few years ago with chemical weapons and fake attacks, and after Libya we are led to believe USA sent Gadaffis chemical weapons to the Syrian rebels. Both of which are pretty shitty tactics if true and not beyond the realms of possibility.

The problem is who do we believe. Currently the experts are now saying its likely to be impossible to look at the evidence at the site and will not be conclusive, pretty handy outcome for whoever did do it dont you think??

Either way its all hear say!

Very few facts will be told in the media, Syria was called out years ago with Iran, Libya and Iraq and USA targets and there are Gas pipelines running through plus whatever else natural resources they have.

And your point about the money is a little blase. I would rather 790k be spent on something to benefit this country than devastate another. To be fair all these budgets are pointless, we probably spend more on think tanks to work out what font each department should use than money that actually does any good. As someone who works in the charity sector I can tell you the cost of one missile can do a hell of a lot more on the ground here than blowing a hole in the ground over there!!

• Supporters
8 minutes ago, Albiscuit said:

As someone who works in the charity sector I can tell you the cost of one missile can do a hell of a lot more on the ground here than blowing a hole in the ground over there!!

I second this.

Reading around a little more on it today its all doublespeak and more nonsense not many facts and no real answers :(

Archived