Info about The Mall in Reading?

buellagan
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi looking at going to the Mall see what it is like? Any feed back please? Also how easy is it to get to and find? Will be traveling a bit to get the Rest?

Richard.

• Supporters

Mall is in Reading town centre 2 minutes walk from the train station. There is also free parking over the road.

It is a fairly large cqb site with short to mid range engagement distances. Lots of stairs so run as light as possible as they can be quite punishing on players who are more used to woodland. Take a torch as it is quite dark in some areas.

It is well run and the staff are a friendly and helpful bunch of guys. The regulars for the most part are also generally a good bunch.

Gameplay wise it is like any other site in that it had good and bad days depending on who walks through the door.

• Supporters

@Duff says he'll be attending tomorrow. I'm sure he'd be happy to show you around if you intend on playing. 

We'll be at the Mall tomorrow too. @springs

Look out for a unicorn, and ginger giant. The other two of us won't be so noticeable :D

I suppose I should of added to that the Mall is so far the number one site we've played at. I did a review of it some time ago... I think.

Really good site with good marshalls. They tend to mirror your attitude, so if you're an asshole they'll be an asshole. Never had an issue with them even when I've done something wrong.

The briefing, isn't brief. The game play can be fun but has a tendency for blockages. So never stall the game in a jam - find another way. Take a torch - many parts are very dark.

• Supporters
2 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Not sure he is talking about tomorrow and there is a site walk for all first time visitors to help them learn the layout.

Ah. Just assumed. "Who's pew-pewing at the Mall tomorrow?" 

Either way he'll be sure to bump into a few regulars such as yourself. 

16 minutes ago, Gepard said:

Ah. Just assumed. "Who's pew-pewing at the Mall tomorrow?" 

Either way he'll be sure to bump into a few regulars such as yourself. 

Thinking about it...

As a site it's superbly run, really nice layout as well - especially when your entire team get boxed into the playpen!

My advice will be to run light, but preferably make sure you're covered up as the closer distances can result in some painful pews. You won't learn the site on your first go (or at least I didn't) so try to stick with the crowd as the majority of them will know where to go.

As already said bring a torch. This isn't a recommendation - this is basically a requirement (No, you won't get turned away for not having a light, yes you will fall over and struggle to do anything. It's VERY dark) Preferably a decent one. A remember another player basically couldn't play as his light was as dim as anything, and so had to stick to only lit areas.

You'll definitely enjoy it, it's got to be one of the top sites in the country for the combination of Marshals/Game Types/Layout.

Any questions and I'd imagine one of the forum regulars would be going - see if you can organise a link up of some description.

Looks like an interesting site.

Not sure I can make the Chrono rules for this site.  What are the hire guns like?

Cheers

G

5 minutes ago, MisterG said:

Not sure I can make the Chrono rules for this site.  What are the hire guns like?

Cheers

G

Not sure. Could try asking on their facebook page

The site hire when I used them last year were G36's folding stock. Performed well and reliable.

• Supporters
12 minutes ago, MisterG said:

Cheers

G

Hire guns are G36c's they are ok as far as hire guns go. 

As long as your gun is below 340fps you will be fine.

I have one, but I think it will Chrono higher than 340

1 minute ago, MisterG said:

Could always shoot them a message saying you're not sure what your gun is firing at and ask if they can reserve a rental package for you?

• Supporters
1 minute ago, steakandpotato said:

Could always shoot them a message saying you're not sure what your gun is firing at and ask if they can reserve a rental package for you?

No need they keep hire guns spare for players whose guns fail chrono. 

Rental cost is £20

3 minutes ago, MisterG said:

Any idea what it chrono'ed at last time?

Also.what gun is it?

It's a G36c.  I bought it from a member on here.  In the pics for the sale it was just shy of 350, but I haven't been to a site with a Chrono with it yet.

Next skirmish is probably 6th May, so will know for sure.

Cheers

G

Also I'm assuming parking is not an issue?

Also how far is the safe zone from the car park?

• Head Moderator

Free parking, that is less than 5 minute walk (when carrying heavy kit) from the entrance to The Mall.  Parking is tight though due to pillars. 

Lol thanks. 

Is there somewhere to change/store bags/kit?

Also as it is indoors, are trainers better than boots?

Cheers

G

• Supporters
6 hours ago, MisterG said:

Lol thanks. 

Is there somewhere to change/store bags/kit?

Also as it is indoors, are trainers better than boots?

Cheers

G

You can either change in the safezone or if shy use the toilet. Your gear will be fine left in the safezone.

Boots vs trainers is tricky and more of a case of preference, I have played in both and prefer boots. I would go for a lightweight pair of boots though as you want to be able to run in them.

Having worn both trainers (converse hi tops) and boots I say wear what makes you feel comfy. Both work fine for me.

Archived