Airsoft in backgarden

CJames

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Under 18 so you cannot legally buy one but you can own one. Shooting outside is fine as long as your garden is enclosed.  Back garden not front garden haha....

And don't shoot any animals or I'll find you.... :wub:

Hi

Wouldn't recommend it.  You can get arrested, armed police turn up etc.  Find a skimish site with a range and practice there.

A 15 year old can shoot one, and even own one, but cannot buy one.

Cheers

G

3 minutes ago, Duff said:

Under 18 so you cannot legally buy one but you can own one. Shooting outside is fine as long as your garden is enclosed.  Back garden not front garden haha....

And don't shoot any animals or I'll find you.... :wub:

I am nice towards animals. Thanks anyway.

Maybe let your neighbours know beforehand that you're playing with a toy gun in the garden so they don't assume the worst should they see you. 

2 minutes ago, MisterG said:

Hi

Wouldn't recommend it.  You can get arrested, armed police turn up etc.  Find a skimish site with a range and practice there.

A 15 year old can shoot one, and even own one, but cannot buy one.

Cheers

G

Ok, I'll find one in my local area. Thanks mate.

Just now, Duff said:

Maybe let your neighbours know beforehand that you're playing with a toy gun in the garden so they don't assume the worst should they'd see you. 

Yeah true. I shall do so. Don't want them thinking I have a real firearm. God they would go mental lol.

I might be over cautious, but just covered all the windows to test my new flash mag.

I have mentioned to my closest neighbour that I have an airsoft gun, mine is still two tone, as I don't have UKARA membership yet.  Even then i wouldn't take it outside.

But at least 10 houses can see into my garden so I wouldn't risk it.

1 minute ago, MisterG said:

I might be over cautious, but just covered all the windows to test my new flash mag.

I have mentioned to by closest neighbour that I have an airsoft gun, mine is still two tone, as I don't have UKARA membership yet.  Even then i wouldn't take it outside.

But at least 10 houses can see into my garden so I wouldn't risk it.

Yeah, understand now. Thanks for advice. I don't have a UKARA too because you must be over 18 years old. Sometimes I just find UK laws silly.

3 minutes ago, Duff said:

https://sites.google.com/view/airsofteventsuk

New airsoft directory to help you find a site near you.

Oh cool, Thanks :)

• Supporters

Cover your arse, let any overlooking neighbours know its just a toy, & ensure stray bb's can't cross in to neighbours space, so set up a range ideally with a decent backstop, even if it means shooting towards your own house ;) 

Just now, Tackle said:

Cover your arse, let any neighbours know its just a toy, & ensure stray bb's can't cross in to neighbours space, so set up a range ideally with a decent backstop, even if it means shooting towards your own house ;) 

Thanks 🖒

Legally, you are pefectly entitled to shoot anywhere on your property provided:

The ammuniion doesn't leave your lawful boundaries (fences and the like normally determine these) unless you also have permission of the land owner where the pellets will pass through and eventually land.

And 

You don't cause a public distress.

Example A - shooting in your from garden. Legal but stupid.

You can shoot there, but typically front gardens a visible to the public. If somebody reports you the firearms teams will turn up. You could be prosecuted for causing distress to the public but not for the actual shooting of the gun.

Example B - shooting targets on a fence.

If you line up targets on top of a fence or wall, missed shots could travel past your boundary. This is technically armed trespass unless the neigbours know it is happening and give permission, otherwise it is VERY illegal. If the pellets travel onto public land (the road for example) this is also armed tresapass.

Advice:

Make a flyer detailing your intentions. Explain what the ammo is and that the gun is essentially a radio controlled car in a different body.

Maybe use Google maps to get an aerial photo of your garden and the surrounding area and detail where you plan to shoot 

Drop it off to all neighbours who have a window overlooking your garden.

Make sure it have a pellet catcher behind the target. I favour some kind of box opening with loose towels in it to absorb the impact.

Basically you need to do everything you can to not be seen by the public or calm their fears if they see you.

Happy shooting and dont forget your eye protection

• Head Moderator
5 hours ago, CJames said:

Hi, I was wondering if the UK law allows you to use an RIF (airsoft gun) in the backgarden for target practice. Is this allowed or not. Also can a 15 year old shoot an RIF?

The answer has been posted above.

Yes, you can shoot in your back garden but the key elements are not letting any BBs leave your boundary and the possible reaction by neighbours. A two tone gun is less of a worry but using a RIF could cause concern.

No, a 15 year old cannot shoot an RIF.  They can shoot a RIF. :P

2 minutes ago, Jedi_Master said:

The answer has been posted above.

Yes, you can shoot in your back garden but the key elements are not letting any BBs leave your boundary and the possible reaction by neighbours. A two tone gun is less of a worry but using a RIF could cause concern.

No, a 15 year old cannot shoot an RIF.  They can shoot a RIF. :P

Thanks, sorry for my grammar.

• Head Moderator

You are welcome, every day is a learning day. :D

Edited by Jedi_Master
spelling

• Supporters

I live on the end of the street and have a fairly large back garden with tall hedges around the sides. I still notified my neighbour as you can kind of see into each other's gardens from the first floor. 

His reaction was 'That sounds cool, can I have a go?'. Obviously this might differ depending on who you speak with but I'd definitely let them know to avoid causing distress. 

For target shooting I usually just prop up a box on a table at the end of the garden and tape a target to it. Works well enough. 

2 minutes ago, Gepard said:

I live on the end of the street and have a fairly large back garden with tall hedges around the sides. I still notified my neighbour as you can kind of see into each other's gardens from the first floor. 

His reaction was 'That sounds cool, can I have a go?'. Obviously this might differ depending on who you speak with but I'd definitely let them know to avoid causing distress. 

For target shooting I usually just prop up a box on a table at the end of the garden and tape a target to it. Works well enough. 

Okay, Thanks for the advice mate. Appreciate it.

• Supporters
6 hours ago, Loki7491 said:

The ammuniion doesn't leave your lawful boundaries (fences and the like normally determine these) unless you also have permission of the land owner where the pellets will pass through and eventually land.

IIRC (and I may not), that technically only applies to airguns.  Which is darn silly, but our projectile laws are a complete mess.

Your first hurdle is getting your parents onboard.  After that, I'd let them handle talking to the neighbours.  Best of luck.

2 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

IIRC (and I may not), that technically only applies to airguns.  Which is darn silly, but our projectile laws are a complete mess.

Your first hurdle is getting your parents onboard.  After that, I'd let them handle talking to the neighbours.  Best of luck.

Yeah my parents understand. You are correct about our laws they are seriously messed up. Anyway thanks for the help appreciate it.

3 minutes ago, Loki7491 said:

Legally airsoft guns are classified as low powered airguns under the firearms act.

They are deemed so low powered that the conditions of the VCRA are sufficient. So yes, you could still potentially  be prosecuted for armed trespass

Ok, Thanks for the info.

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Loki7491 said:

Legally airsoft guns are classified as low powered airguns under the firearms act.

Which act, which section?

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.