the ar15/m16/m4 enigma

Adolf Hamster
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Arwen said:

If I buy a third AEG it will be something different. Highly unlikely to be a g36 though, as my partner has two of them. Maybe an ak… I like the m14's too… 

AK’s are great and there’s SO many different ones to go for , I’ve got a TM AK74su that just puts a smile on my face every time I use it ,  and a Cyma zukhov , that’s an absolute beast of a gun !

M14 wise I can’t recommend TM M14’s enough , think there hand built by Japanese mountain dwarfs ! And Cyma a very close second . Get your self a Socom and you’ll never look back .;)

Yeah I gotta admit, this is something that also confuses me. I scroll through Facebook a fair amount and I am a member of the majority of large airsoft groups; I see this often. Bunch of "show us ya collections then fellas" and there are about 6 M4s on the wall with maybe one G36 or AK. 95% of the time, one of those M4 variants is in the "DMR config" with a scope, suppressor and bipod (most commonly a gripod). Maybe a magwell grip too. Another probably being the "MK18".

I admit, I think the M4 is both fantastic ergonomically and aesthetically, but I cannot see an actual reason for owning more than 2 (one main, one backup). Although, it gets worse when you explore the "HK fan" groups, where you will see pictures of enough 416s/417s (look at mah 416d, 416c, etc) to arm the entire airsoft field, but all owned by one person. Do they just sit on the wall/in storage and gather dust? 

However, I suppose we must realise that not all people are the same. Some just like to be surrounded by multiple guns of the same platform. Personally, that does not make any sense to me as I would rather just invest the money into one, excellent perfoming and looking gun instead of 5 of the same stock gun. You see a lot of people saying things like "I want a TM recoil but they are too expensive", whilst they sit there with an armoury of guns which probably exceeds the cost of the TM.

It seems to be something that spans across most (if not all) hobbies. There are those that just stockpile things they like.

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Druid799 said:

You can get a STANAG magwell for the G36 , so you can still use your mags and pouches . 

i'm sure you can, but just like an ar mag in an ak it just doesn't look right to me.

In my opinion it is purely down to parts, knowledge and upgrades availability. The M4 stole a march in the other styles for some reason and have a stranglehold on the market. 

You can get parts for other styles its just difficult to find and for the most part more difficult to install. 

My collection is:

Two TM FAMAS (Fully upgraded with V2 gears etc)

CYMA F2000 (Fully upgraded)

S&T Tavor Pro

SRC XM8 (Fully upgraded)

ICS CXP Ape (ACR type and partially upgraded)

JG SL8 DMR

TM AUG High Cycle

TM Strike Warrior pistol

And lastly an ICS CXP15 which IS an M4, which I got because I got a stonking good deal on it. Which is being fully upgraded. 

I get what I think looks nice then pump money into it until it shoots as well as a modern M4, costs a lot but it is my choice :-)

We aren't all M4 fans. Definitely a bullpup man. 

I have an M4, it's my third airsfot gun and it was given to me (well, everything except the front end.) That's the reason I own it, simple.

I pretty much am set now, I have a great GBB pistol that i love, my trusty springer tri shot and an AEG.

Of course, that doesn't mean I'm not going to spend more money on shit I don't need.

Yeah no I just have an M4 and a G36. The the only way I could invisage ever having multiple M4s is if maybe I had a short compact one for CQB, and a long barrelled semi-locked 500fps DMR. Either way, they’d all have different uses. Possibly if someone has their customised tacticool M4 with the low profile gas block, keymod rail, magpul stock and grip etc, then a “standard” classic M4 for milsims they could reasonably have two?

• Supporters

One thing that no one has factored in though is time , I’ve been playing for a good 18yrs and in that time I’ve bought and sold a shed load of AEG’s over the yrs . Now I’m very much of the opinion once it’s been bought that’s that , i know I’m not going to get that much for it second hand so unless one pops up I really want and I haven’t the patients to save the money then I do have to sell to get something new , and even with this situation i think I’ve still got 18+ Up in the attic . I know I’ve got 4 M4’s (2 TM recoils and 2 ‘ordinary’ ones) so there can be other reasons to have multiples of the same platform ?  

17 hours ago, Druid799 said:

You can get a STANAG magwell for the G36 , so you can still use your mags and pouches . 

Really? Now you've made my purchasing decisions harder/more expensive.

Probably more expensive

• Supporters
51 minutes ago, steakandpotato said:

Really? Now you've made my purchasing decisions harder/more expensive.

Probably more expensive

Here you go my friend !

http://www.bullseyecountrysport.co.uk/jg-works-airsoft-g36---m4-magwell-adapter-with-nozzle-9801-p.asp

• Supporters
34 minutes ago, steakandpotato said:

Oh that's pretty cheap

And there a doddle to fit , you slip out a body pin rock the magwell down , pull out , then insert M4 one push up in too the G36 , body pin back in and ya done ! Simples ! 

• Supporters

I have 3 TM recoil ARs, 2 KWA LM4s and I think 7 or 8 AEGs.  Have other stuff too of course, an L85, ACR, Scorpion, Minimi, 10-22 etc.

To me they all look and feel very different, to people who don't know or care about the intricacies of the tiny little parts I change on my builds they all look the same.  It's airsoft and until they eventually ban it I'm probably gonna keep on buying more at a gradual rate.  Anyone who deems that they require a reason out of me with regards any way I choose to allocate my expendable income can go swivel on something pointy.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, CKinnerley said:

I have 3 TM recoil ARs, 2 KWA LM4s and I think 7 or 8 AEGs.  Have other stuff too of course, an L85, ACR, Scorpion, Minimi, 10-22 etc.

To me they all look and feel very different, to people who don't know or care about the intricacies of the tiny little parts I change on my builds they all look the same.  It's airsoft and until they eventually ban it I'm probably gonna keep on buying more at a gradual rate.  Anyone who deems that they require a reason out of me with regards any way I choose to allocate my expendable income can go swivel on something pointy.

i don't require a reason, i'm just interested in understanding the mindset.

although predominantly i'm talking about folk who have m4's and nothing else, having a couple of different m4's as a complement to a large collection is an entirely seperate issue that i fully understand.

• Supporters

I fit neither category, I have more AR pattern guns than anything else, but it's not all I have.

I've also got over 100 items of camo clothing at this point, for no other reason than I like collecting it and I think it looks cool (for wearing in games).  If you don't have the same bug for something as somebody else you'll never understand the mindset and there are 10000 different kinds of guns types or gear niches that people are in to in airsoft.  Everybody sensible reaches a point eventually of letting go of any need or desire to understand everyone else's 'reason' to have or want anything, quicker you can reach that point the better.

• Head Moderator

No idea where the Enigma fits into this.  Airsofters are weird and a form of "care in the community" so nothing is unexpected.  AR platform is good (real world - discuss) and I would not have any AK (terrorist gun of choice) in my gun portfolio.  Have used other RS guns but does not mean that I want to own the airsoft version. More importantly, I can not imagine having a none TM gun that I can share magazine with (except Scar because that is a Wellington boot and looks awful)

• Supporters

And when you start chucking specific loadouts in to the equation as well then you really start ‘muddying’ the waters !   Couple of yrs ago me and some of team mates start building movie themed loadouts the usual suspects ; BHD , lone survivor , tears of the sun , etc and unless you want to be constantly stripping and re-assembling your guns then multiple No’s of the same platform gets to be a very good idea !:D

• Supporters
3 hours ago, Jedi_Master said:

(except Scar because that is a Wellington boot and looks awful)

Shut up, you know you love it. 

13 hours ago, Jedi_Master said:

(except Scar because that is a Wellington boot and looks awful)

image.png.c88a9e29cda0d03e9fe68041804ae09c.png

• Supporters
33 minutes ago, Duff said:

image.png.c88a9e29cda0d03e9fe68041804ae09c.png

The scar , if your a millennial it’s the ONLY choice for you ! 

• Moderators
On 4/13/2018 at 8:16 PM, Druid799 said:

I’ve got a couple of different M4’s but to be honest the reason I have several is there all set up different (different loadouts/game site) and I just can’t be arsed to keep changing the one gun to the need I have on a particular game day ! :blink:

same with me....

although my ASG AR15 i won so cant help that, the others are all ICS so allows me to swap the upper gearbox around , my 'DMR' is semi only but i can put the gearbox with lower FPS when i need to be under 400 (2 sites its 400 :( i know....) and swap it back when at the 450fps site..............only used more when being a lazy bugger....i really should use it next game! :lol::lol:

Archived