the ar15/m16/m4 enigma

Adolf Hamster
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

thought this might make for a bit of fun discussion.

so i'm a fan of the weird and wonderful, be it guns, cars, planes, anything really. if it's wacky and different i like it.

so what i can't understand is folk who's airsoft collection consists of multiple m4's and nothing else.

i really don't get it, sure maybe you have a short one for cqb and a long one for outdoors, but apart from that why on earth would you bother having a bunch of the same thing? why not mix it up and get something different?

it can't be mag compatibility, there's loads of stuff will take stanag, it can't be performance as that's the internals not the externals.

i really don't get it, sure it's a great platform ergonomically, but 1's enough surely?

anyone care to share some insight into the minds of people that do this?

• Supporters
4 minutes ago, Georgeturner2001 said:

people like what they like I guess.

yeah, i get why people like the m4, mine is my favorite shooter for sure (when it's working), but i don't feel a massive urge to buy another one let along another 3

3 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

yeah, i get why people like the m4, mine is my favorite shooter for sure (when it's working), but i don't feel a massive urge to buy another one let along another 3

I’d rather have 3 guns I’m familiar with than 3 guns that are all different and take different parts etc. I guess it’s jisy opinion based!

• Supporters

It's a platform I like to use. I've gone through an M14, L85 and AK and have kept my M4 whereas the others have all been sold. At some point I'd like to get my hands on a TM M4, but that's it. 

I'd imagine it's the same with people who own multiple of the same rifle. They know what they like.

• Supporters
Just now, Georgeturner2001 said:

I’d rather have 3 guns I’m familiar with than 3 guns that are all different and take different parts etc. I guess it’s jisy opinion based!

true, but for the most part internals are pretty well standardised, well, apart from f2000 trigger contacts :P

i just don't understand it, i know my next purchase is going to be either a nice wood furniture ak or maybe a dragonuv, something russian anyway. seeing as i already have american belgian and german

guess it'll have to be chinese after that, if i'm keeping my trend of going eastwards :D

• Mostly Retired Moderators
5 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

i just don't understand it, i know my next purchase is going to be either a nice wood furniture

That reminds me!

I saw these beautiful classic army HKs with G3 wood kits on Reddit yesterday.

aTtNWrP.jpg

Gorgeous!

• Supporters

I have several M4s. I like them, they fit me, the ergonomics work for me and there's a huge pile of customisation options. 

They're not my only guns though. I have an M14, a SCAR and an M249. Plus an Mp5k... 

And yes, I've tried other guns. I had an AK but the controls never felt natural to me. I tried an Aug but it was just weird. 

• Supporters
14 hours ago, L3wisD said:

That reminds me!

Gorgeous!

man, you're as evil as the guy that runs my local brick and mortar, bugger's always putting shiny things in front of me :(

• Supporters

damnit, that's the third time i've seen that picture today.....

i really need to get those wood grips onto the luger, like really really need to do that.....

14 hours ago, L3wisD said:

That reminds me!

Gorgeous!

That's so pretty. And it also make me really want a CETME L AEG

I think a lot of people buy M4 type RiFs because they are a) what you see in the hands of a lot of NATO armed forces and b) in a lot of films, etc. 

I have 1 M4 and 1 M16/M203 in terms of that style:

I have the M16/M203 purely because of 'Predator', I have the M4 because of the TM MWS performance. 

• Supporters
1 minute ago, Dentonboy said:

I think a lot of people buy M4 type RiFs because they are a) what you see in the hands of a lot of NATO armed forces and b) in a lot of films, etc. 

I have 1 M4 and 1 M16/M203 in terms of that style:

I have the M16/M203 purely because of 'Predator', I have the M4 because of the TM MWS performance. 

see that's fine, i get that you might want a shorter handier gun and a longer one.

i'm also not debating it's general popularity, it's a great platform.

it's the guys that have 4 m4's that are all basically the same (at least externally) that i don't get.

I don't get 'not in real life' Airsoft rifs (apart from film weapons) *I'm looking at you ICS* but horses for courses. 

• Supporters

I’ve got a couple of different M4’s but to be honest the reason I have several is there all set up different (different loadouts/game site) and I just can’t be arsed to keep changing the one gun to the need I have on a particular game day ! :blink:

I've got 3 M4s and a HK417 bur each has its own purpose. One's my primary as it's the one that's had the most time and money sunk into it and is my best performer, one's getting turned into a sci fi bullpup and the 3rd is my only gas rifle. The 417 technically isnt an M4 but is very similar in terms of operation and that one's getting built into a DMR. my dad has another 4 M4s but again they're all different, one primary, one DMR, one loner and a DSG pistol with a fat mag for shits and giggles.

I have a short one and a long one…

The short one I bought for it's shortness. The long one I bought cause it's pretty. The fact they use the same mags is a plus to me. 

Can't see me buying a third unless it is something very pretty/special. 

If I buy a third AEG it will be something different. Highly unlikely to be a g36 though, as my partner has two of them. Maybe an ak… I like the m14's too… 

• Supporters
45 minutes ago, Arwen said:

I have a short one and a long one…

The short one I bought for it's shortness. The long one I bought cause it's pretty. The fact they use the same mags is a plus to me. 

Can't see me buying a third unless it is something very pretty/special. 

If I buy a third AEG it will be something different. Highly unlikely to be a g36 though, as my partner has two of them. Maybe an ak… I like the m14's too… 

i'm kinda 50/50 on the g36, on the one hand i like it, on the other hand they just seem cheap to me.

although maybe that's just because they were the rental guns to avoid on the site i started at (with the go-to being either their m4, which was relatively new, or the old battered to hell wobbly ak that despite looking like a pile of junk would out-shoot anything else on the site)

its kinda tricky though moving away from stanag pattern, means none of my mags or pouches will work :(

The rental g36's that I used, and what my partner bought are worlds apart. His shoot perfectly and look much better. They are nice shooting guns, but just not for me :rolleyes:

• Supporters
Just now, Arwen said:

The rental g36's that I used, and what my partner bought are worlds apart. His shoot perfectly and look much better. They are nice shooting guns, but just not for me :rolleyes:

yeah i know, it's a bias i should probably try and ignore.

that said, the f2000 was my top choice for the modern side of my range, so until i get my itch for nice wooden furniture scratched (the mg's stock just isn't enough :( ) i cant see myself getting a g36 any time soon.

i'd love a 553 too, man, so many guns so little money.....

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Adolf Hamster said:

its kinda tricky though moving away from stanag pattern, means none of my mags or pouches will work :(

You can get a STANAG magwell for the G36 , so you can still use your mags and pouches . 

Archived