Tokyo Marui M4 (old af)

Gimli
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Okay so I have this TM M4 that my friend bought off of one of my friends as a first rifle and after a few games the rear upper receiver tabs snapped off completely and now I need to find out what upper would fit this, I've seen ICS do a similar style but I don't wanna invest until I've got at least some more info, and secondly the battery wires are completely screwed so any info on what to use/do to fix would be great.

Also any appropriate Hop-up/barrel upgrade info would go down a treat, as i'm trying to bring this rifle back to former glory

IMG_20180413_143434.thumb.jpg.06dbc60501d5bf9c2e295ff47fc23d09.jpg

IMG_20180413_143442.jpg

IMG_20180413_143459.jpg

• Supporters

Could you possibly take some lighter photos? ;)

Is it original? Nothing been upgraded etc?

Cant see the receiver pin holes to help you there. 

The battery wires need a bit of a tidy up, but you could easily solder a deans plug on them with a little tech skills. 

For a bucking, the Prommy purple is your best bet as a standard rubber, they make good Flat hops as well. If you can’t get one of these, try a G&g green.

Barrel, just clean and polish it. It’s good quality.

If it’s old and original, you may want to service the box. How technically confident are you?

2 hours ago, Prisce said:

Could you possibly take some lighter photos? ;)

Is it original? Nothing been upgraded etc?

Cant see the receiver pin holes to help you there. 

The battery wires need a bit of a tidy up, but you could easily solder a deans plug on them with a little tech skills. 

For a bucking, the Prommy purple is your best bet as a standard rubber, they make good Flat hops as well. If you can’t get one of these, try a G&g green.

Barrel, just clean and polish it. It’s good quality.

If it’s old and original, you may want to service the box. How technically confident are you?

Sorry for poor lighting. How easy is it to get wire kits and such? I'm practically a tech noob, one time I took apart a gearbox didn't go very well at all. I think the hop isn't all original as it had some issues and needed a rebuild but everything other than the hop and barrel to my knowledge is standard

IMG_20180413_204419.jpg

IMG_20180413_204520.jpg

IMG_20180413_204358.jpg

IMG_20180413_204458.jpg

IMG_20180413_204524.jpg

• Supporters
28 minutes ago, Gimli said:

Sorry for poor lighting. How easy is it to get wire kits and such? I'm practically a tech noob, one time I took apart a gearbox didn't go very well at all. I think the hop isn't all original as it had some issues and needed a rebuild but everything other than the hop and barrel to my knowledge is standard.

Wire kits I don’t know about. You can easily buy lengths of 16AWG wire from www.componentshop.co.uk.

If your a tech noob, I would err on the side of caution here, be honest with yourself, are you capable of doing this work? If not, might be worth asking a tech to give you a hand.

The hop looks very old, not entirely sure how good it is as haven’t used one. If you think the hop unit is ok, just get yourself a new bucking and nub and replace, if not, have a look on AK2M4 at his ZCI prowin hop, it’s very good!

Barrel looks ok.

I now see where your upper has broken, the fins on the rear of the upper have snapped. Ideally, any upper “should” fit, but as is well known in Airsoft, not always the case!

Just now, Prisce said:

Wire kits I don’t know about. You can easily buy lengths of 16AWG wire from www.componentshop.co.uk.

If your a tech noob, I would err on the side of caution here, be honest with yourself, are you capable of doing this work? If not, might be worth asking a tech to give you a hand.

The hop looks very old, not entirely sure how good it is as haven’t used one. If you think the hop unit is ok, just get yourself a new bucking and nub and replace, if not, have a look on AK2M4 at his ZCI prowin hop, it’s very good!

Barrel looks ok.

I now see where your upper has broken, the fins on the rear of the upper have snapped. Ideally, any upper “should” fit, but as is well known in Airsoft, not always the case!

I've bought a G&G receiver that doesn't use the fins but uses locking tabs to hold it in place by the buffer tube, it's a bit long and leaves a few open spots along the receiver, i'm hoping i can find someone selling an ICS one, as they look to include the fin setup that this one has, i was thinking about an entirely new hop unit, and have heard good things about prowin in the past, and i ALWAYS heard people raving about prommy purples, so i'll look into those as upgrades, i can probably get to a techy at Xsite Lane End at somepoint to look over the box, last thing i want is a gearbox failure.

• Supporters

To the best of my knowledge an ICS body isn't compatible with TM internals.

the broken tab problem is common with those, I'd be more inclined to get a generic compatible metal body, as replacing like for like will prob lead to the same failure in the future.

theres one here:

2 minutes ago, Tackle said:

To the best of my knowledge an ICS body isn't compatible with TM internals.

the broken tab problem is common with those, I'd be more inclined to get a generic compatible metal body, as replacing like for like will prob lead to the same failure in the future.

theres one here:

I have spoke to that guy, unfortunately the receiver is the type that won't fit the gearbox

• Supporters

That's a shame, I might be able to help you out with a suitable plastic body, but I won't be able to get near my spares crates til after the weekend.

1 minute ago, Tackle said:

That's a shame, I might be able to help you out with a suitable plastic body, but I won't be able to get near my spares crates til after the weekend.

Honestly, it can wait til anytime, i'd really appreciate if you could, let me know when you can :)

• Supporters

If you change this body to one that doesn't have these tabs you'll need to change the hopup too to a one piece (normal) one.

JG made their plastic ones as an exact copy to Marui many years ago. Breaks even easier.

Archived