Battery to powerful?

Crush42
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Just bought an M14 combat master and looking to get a lipo. I have plenty of lipos already, but I'm worried they could screw up the motor or the piston's stuff. The lipo on the echo 1 website is an 11.1v 1650mah 15c. Mine is 11.1v 5000mah 50c don't care if it fits or not lol.

Thanks!

• Supporters

No shouldn’t have any negative effect , it’s the voltage that kills guns if the batteries to powerful  , eg if you stick an 11.1v in a gun that’s only rated up to 7.4v for example , 50c V 15c just means it’ll have a bit more ‘snap’ to it and the capacity (1650 x 5000) just means it’ll last forever !  

• Supporters

I put an 11.1V 2600mAh 25C/50C lipo into my CYMA and it overspun the motor something awful, spurting 1-and-a-bit BBs more often than not.

Your 5AH x 25C (constant) is going to deliver close to 1.4kW, or more than a typical cordless drill or jigsaw will draw.

Best of luck.

• Supporters
17 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Your 5AH x 25C (constant) is going to deliver close to 1.4kW...

It can deliver that much. Won't if the motor doesn't need it.

The original battery can deliver about 25 Amps and the new one can do 250 Amps. I doubt 25A was enough for the motor so probably a significant voltage drop occurred. That won't happen with the new one. It will have higher ROF. Feeding issues, or overspin is likely.

• Supporters

Cheerfully corrected, I should indeed have said could deliver.

If OP does experience overspin, is there any bodge they could try without dropping money on MOSFETs or motors?  I just diked a cell off of my 11.1V to bring  it down to 7.4V - fortunately it was a triple-nunchuck.

Archived