System: Post-mortem on today's downtime

proffrink
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Root Admin

Hi all,

This will be brief as I'm quite tired. Sorry.

Today of all days for the site to go down was the worst as I was away from my PC and laptop (doesn't usually happen - especially on a work day). Whilst I noticed the issue this morning, I had literally 20 minutes to fix it before having to go (and only just had time to post a Facebook announcement). I'm terribly sorry for the downtime - shouldn't happen and wasn't server related (rather software related).

Anyhoo, Devastator lent and a hand and together we've sifted through the logs: This would appear to be related to the existing dark theme that we typically use. Have some other leads, but they're mostly speculation at this time so won't share them as doubtless many will be dead-ends.

I'll update this thread when I have more tomorrow. Until then, browse on the really bad default Invision Power Board theme and appreciate how far we've come in being able to browse with a theme that's not quite as piss poor.

Thanks.

• Root Admin

Morning all.

It's looking likely that we'll need to stick with this theme but with modifications to make it look like the old one. The 'default' we were using is potentially rather out of date. Shouldn't be too tricky to make this current one look like the old one with the functionality of something that's a bit more updated (read: not crashing and taking the forums offline for a day).

Could be some minor downtime very late tonight or - more likely - tomorrow as I do this. Will let you know if plans change.

For now I'll update the colours and width to mirror those of the old theme. The more subtle stuff might have to wait.

Thanks.

• Supporters

I kind of like it. A better contrast, for sure.

• Head Moderator

I must admit, I do not mind the current look. The shock was when we updated a few weeks ago to the new coloured username circles. Blue and white forum is fine.

• Head Moderator
14 minutes ago, proffrink said:

Are you still seeing blue and white? Should be universally grey as of this morning.

No, not now.  It has light grey section bars, alternate white and pale grey background, blue sub-forum titles, the text looks black.

• Root Admin

Yeh, the blue text in various places is residual, but might leave it (or switch it to the AFUK blue). Perhaps at some point I could make a few different colour schemes and we could do a quick vote on them after a bit.

If you are thinking of doing colour schemes in future... Can you have one that has better contrast than light grey text on nearly white backgrounds please? I know it looks modern and flash, but it plays havock with my eyes... I end up highlighting stuff to reading it :rolleyes:

On my Android Chrome browser I get a teal bar across the top where the Home function is, the same colour as the start new topic button.

• Supporters

What about being able to customize the colours yourself? A 'theme' option in the profile menu which allows you to change the format. Is this something you would be able to implement? 

Default, Light, Dark and Custom. Give the forum a bit of variety for each user. 

I've drawn where because it's easier... Probably just one or two styles that need changed. It's much better when they are bold text. 

Screenshot_20180411-190742.jpg

Screenshot_20180411-190947.jpg

• AF-UK Founding Member
1 hour ago, Gepard said:

What about being able to customize the colours yourself? A 'theme' option in the profile menu which allows you to change the format. Is this something you would be able to implement? 

Default, Light, Dark and Custom. Give the forum a bit of variety for each user. 

Sounds like MySpace :P Your hard work may be lost with a future update hence the reason platforms don't tend to do it anymore, not that it couldn't be done if enough people wanted it.

• Supporters
3 minutes ago, Devastator said:

Sounds like MySpace :P Your hard work may be lost with a future update hence the reason platforms don't tend to do it anymore, not that it couldn't be done if enough people wanted it.

I don't think I was even on social media when MySpace was trendy :lol:.

Just a thought. I don't care much for it either way. I'd probably keep it at default.

Archived