Right hand, left eye dominant

MrRaz
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi,

I'm a newbie looking into buying my first own gun soon so look forward to seeing loads of questions from me. Anywaya asthe title suggests, I'm right hand left eye dominant ,due to an injury as a kid (playing "army" and getting shot in the eye with a slingsho). Due to this injury my vision in my right eye is not as good as my left eye (though I can see reasonably well with glasses/contacts).

Any advice on shooting with my left eye? I'm planning to eventually become an ambidextrous shooter however I find it easier to shoot with my right arm but left eye. I know a red dot or similar sight helps, I'm looking to get some daily lenses to use when playing so that I can wear slimmer eye Pro.

In my experience mate a lot of people including me rarely aim down sights /optics properly while using an AEG at medium / longish ranges. Primarily because a lot of us don't have our optics zeroed properly or are guns are simply not accurate enough to aim and fire a single shot for a hit, instead I often just keep both eyes open with my rifle shouldered and fire watch the bb fly then adjust to hit the target without looking down a sight. I assume it would be possible for you to do the same with your rifle in your dominant hand and let your left eye trace the bb through the air then adjust your aim accordingly.

The only time I can see you having a real problem would be if u want a DMR or sniper rifle that requires you to use a magnified optic to make full use of the rifle, but its your first gun i'd say an AEG is the way to go.

Try shooting with both eyes open. I'm sure this is the method used when using red dots/Holosights. Personally though I find these to be of more cosmetic appeal than of any real use. Most of the times you'll be see the BB's fly out your barrel and be able to adjust aim that way.

Maybe turn your head a bit more tucking more of your cheek into your right shoulder bringing more of your left side to look down your sights. Maybe try holding a a stick and like you a rifle and play around with a stance that is comfortable for you.

Might sound silly but i keep meaning to get an eye patch or something to cover my left eye, find it quite hard keeping my left eye closed and right eye open if using a scope :(

I'm left eye dominant, and shoot using either hand, but I am ambidextrous anyways. 

I normally aim with both eyes open, simply looking down the length of the barrel regardless of what side I am holding the gun on.

However if I want to use my scope I have to shoot as a lefty so my left eye lines up with the scope and I shut my right eye. 

Practice will make perfect. It will take time if you are not used to using you left hand.

Supposedly snipers are trained to keep both eyes open, but there is some debate on this. 

I've been practising keeping both eyes open, as I naturally close the left when using a scope, probably as that's how I take photos.

Cheers

G

All  of these guys are giving you very good pieces of advice. When I was in the army as a rifleman I had this same issue. They tried to teach me to shoot left handed. I am ambidextrous and can with both hands but prefer right handed by far. Look over the sights and watch the fall of shot. The biggest issue I have had is visability with different types of eye protection especially in wooded areas etc where the light is not great, goggles fog up etc. Its not going to affect you as much in airsoft as it would with an actual rifle imo. 

In airsoft I keep both eyes open most of the time. Not only is it good to watch the fall of shot but it stops you getting "tunnel vision" which is an easy way to get shot. You are focusing on one thing so intensely that you miss out on something else happening close by, ie someone stalking you or like last time I was out some maniac running through the field of play with a plastic axe. It was surprising how many people he got, he got within 3 foot of me because I was reloading and ended up using the pistol.

26 minutes ago, Tormen7ed said:

Try shooting with both eyes open.

Unfortunatly being left eye dominant means my brain ignores the iron sights when looking through both eyes. I know red dot makes it easier hence why I'm looking at getting one.

26 minutes ago, Tormen7ed said:

Maybe turn your head a bit more tucking more of your cheek into your right shoulder bringing more of your left side to look down your sights.

I already use this technique when shooting real pistols however can't do it comfortably with rifles (which is what holds me back from getting an fac in UK)

53 minutes ago, MisterG said:

Supposedly snipers are trained to keep both eyes open, but there is some debate on this. 

I've been practising keeping both eyes open, as I naturally close the left when using a scope, probably as that's how I take photos.

Cheers

G

Yes that's what you're thought Queen you learn to shoot properly (at least that's what I've been thought when I was learning to shoot real handguns)

Have you tried shouldering the rifles stock into your left shoulder still keeping it held with your right hand on the trigger grip and left hand on the fore grip? it feels a little odd though to me

44 minutes ago, Infanteer said:

All  of these guys are giving you very good pieces of advice. When I was in the army as a rifleman I had this same issue. They tried to teach me to shoot left handed. I am ambidextrous and can with both hands but prefer right handed by far. Look over the sights and watch the fall of shot. The biggest issue I have had is visability with different types of eye protection especially in wooded areas etc where the light is not great, goggles fog up etc. Its not going to affect you as much in airsoft as it would with an actual rifle imo. 

In airsoft I keep both eyes open most of the time. Not only is it good to watch the fall of shot but it stops you getting "tunnel vision" which is an easy way to get shot. You are focusing on one thing so intensely that you miss out on something else happening close by, ie someone stalking you or like last time I was out some maniac running through the field of play with a plastic axe. It was surprising how many people he got, he got within 3 foot of me because I was reloading and ended up using the pistol.

I know what you mean with tunnel vision. I try to keep both eyes open but it's hard work iron sights and bbs can be hard to see when it gets darker and the loaner eye pro doesn't help.( And I will mostly play midweek evenings)

Thanks for all the responses. Once I get my own gun I plan to practice with it at home till holding and aiming with both hands/eyes becomes natural.

I'mlooking to get an m4 from cyma (cm515 or similar) I know the g&g is way better but for the price of it I can get a cyma, 10 pack of mid caps and a spare battery. Plus when student loan comes in, in September I'm planning to get something better anyway.

24 minutes ago, Tormen7ed said:

Have you tried shouldering the rifles stock into your left shoulder still keeping it held with your right hand on the trigger grip and left hand on the fore grip? it feels a little odd though to me

I think what you're describing is the technique used to peak around corners when you don't want to perform a full shoulder transition. I used it on the cqb field when going through some doors etc, its not a good long term solution though as it makes reload awkward. 

Get a LMG and big box mag. Keep it with stock iron sights and when someone asks how you aim point to the iron sights smile and same im elite u am or explain your using the beating zone method. Who cares if you miss first time when you have another 3499 in the box!

In seriousness. Like many folks, im exmilitary and was once upon a time trained to shoot fairly accurately at 400 metres. But that counts very little in the world of airsoft where wind, foliage, quality of sights/bb's/hop and barrel all have a direct impact on the trajectory of the round at ranges of 10-50 metres. So get what looks cool, and walk your fire onto target.

• Supporters
3 hours ago, Arwen said:

I am ambidextrous

You go both ways?

The walking on target advice is fine until you get a semi-auto game.

I'd suggest a holographic sight rather than an enclosed dot, and stick it on a rail riser.  I found this made a big difference, allowing me to get the sight up to eye level (on either side) much more easily without mashing my face into the stock.

On that, it's an airsoft gun, you don't really need a stock.  Consider something like a MP5 (slidey stock) or G36 (foldy stock) and just hold the thing in front of your face in any position you like.  Fnar.

49 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

You go both ways?

The walking on target advice is fine until you get a semi-auto game.

I'd suggest a holographic sight rather than an enclosed dot, and stick it on a rail riser.  I found this made a big difference, allowing me to get the sight up to eye level (on either side) much more easily without mashing my face into the stock.

On that, it's an airsoft gun, you don't really need a stock.  Consider something like a MP5 (slidey stock) or G36 (foldy stock) and just hold the thing in front of your face in any position you like.  Fnar.

I like the look of the m4s :D who doesn't wanna feel like they're in a war movie.  (Plus it's kinda like playing real life arma)

Will look into the Holo+raiser combo as that seems like a good option though Holo sights are rather expensive.

Or you can cover all bases with something like this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01EWWBXMK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bit heavy though.

4 minutes ago, MisterG said:

Or you can cover all bases with something like this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01EWWBXMK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bit heavy though.

That looks really good and I was thinking of buying a similar sight one day however my problem isn't with the sight but with handling the weapon.

Basically what i would want to do is to use my left (stronger) eye to aim while holding the weapon against my right shoulder. This is however impossible and therefore I'm asking for tips/techniques. 

Like I said I'm planning to be ambidextrous once I get my own weapon but it will always feel more comfortable to have the weapon in my dominant arm while it will be more comfortable to aim with the dominant eye.

I actually found some videos on YouTube. Apparently my problem is called cross dominance, TRex.Arms on (

)YouTube created a really good video about it explaining some techniques. It's meant to be for real for arms but a lot of it will still work with Airsoft.

Scope, Laser and Holosight, you can chose which to use.  Laser works best for me when practising bringing the weapon to bear, as I have only started playing. 

You can detach the holosigt to use on it's own which may be better for CBQ, I'll try that once I play my first CBQ.

I'm sure there are better quality sights out there, but at the moment that sight is better than my skill, so it's just fine for me.

Cheers

G

PS I'm practising with an empty gun and no battery.  Safety first.

• Supporters

When you come down to it at the ranges we shoot at you don’t ‘really’ need a sight of any type , we just have them as part of the look ! 

Only advice I’d give would be to always have your gun pointing where your looking , your head moves the gun moves as well , you get used to pointing it where your looking (sounds a no brainer but loads get shot looking one way and the guns pointing in the total opposite direction! ) and if possible get some big body sized cardboard boxes to shoot at in your garden (obviously only if it’s safe too!) don’t bother with little targets , it’s vary rare you’ll take a slow deliberately aimed shot most are ‘snap shots’ and before you know it you’ll find it becomes second nature and the BBs are going where you want them too .

The secret to success? practice , practice, practice ! :D

• Supporters
On 09/04/2018 at 11:49 PM, MrRaz said:

Will look into the Holo+raiser combo as that seems like a good option though Holo sights are rather expensive.

Nah, not for airsoft use.  The riser was what I nearly balked at, but I'm glad that I didn't as I find it really helps.

~£12 for a high lift riser https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171387340318

~£15 for a holographic / reflex sight: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332468921475

I've had two of those sights now, with a third on the way, and they work just fine.  I had the glass shot out on one, but even then there was still enough left for it to actually function until I replaced it. You'll want to throw a sight protector in front of them, mind, or I just drill, tap and bolt a piece of polycarbonate directly into them now.

• Moderators

i have a few of those risers and they do the job, especially with face pro on

my brother swears by that sight as well, where as i tend to adjust to the BB flight on longer distances.....and use the clone sights in CQB more....although most of the time with the action its aim fire run! :lol:

2 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

I just drill, tap and bolt a piece of polycarbonate directly into them now.

That sounds really cool! do you use a drill press for that? or can i do it with my home-gamer hand drill? :)  

• Supporters

Hand drill is fine.  There's enough metal underneath the glass that you can drill a 3.5mm hole, tap it out to 4mm, and bolt a piece of polycarb (I use 4mm, drilled and tapped to match) straight on.  I was a little paranoid about conducting impact through to the lens surround and have 4 layers of bicycle inner tube between the polycarb and the sight to keep it slightly clear of the lens surround, but that's probably unnecessary.

When I do the beige (mmm, beige) one that's currently on the way to me, I reckon I'll do 2 bolts to stop the polycarb rotating, although it's not a huge problem.

11 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Hand drill is fine.  There's enough metal underneath the glass that you can drill a 3.5mm hole, tap it out to 4mm, and bolt a piece of polycarb (I use 4mm, drilled and tapped to match) straight on.  I was a little paranoid about conducting impact through to the lens surround and have 4 layers of bicycle inner tube between the polycarb and the sight to keep it slightly clear of the lens surround, but that's probably unnecessary.

When I do the beige (mmm, beige) one that's currently on the way to me, I reckon I'll do 2 bolts to stop the polycarb rotating, although it's not a huge problem.

Maybe I'm just tired, but struggling to picture this, any chance you can post a pic?

Cheers

G

• Supporters

Please excuse the flashy shine.  You might want to use thinner polycarbonate, but I like a meaty 4mm.  There's a rubber sandwich in between the sight and the polycarb holding it proud of the lens surround - that's that part where I'm being paranoid, it might be totally unnecessary.

MB6Y80n.png

Thanks, I've got some 2mm Polycarb, will see if I can rig up something similar.

Cheers

G

Archived