Trying to sell a RIF but am I doing it wrong?

Apoch
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Apart from all that what does it for me is making the buyer pay the paypal fees...no way..some sites will remove your classified for such actions,your offer the service you pay the fees IMHO..I'd skip straight over that personaly,just a thing...:D

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, snuff said:

Apart from all that what does it for me is making the buyer pay the paypal fees...no way..some sites will remove your classified for such actions,your offer the service you pay the fees IMHO..I'd skip straight over that personaly,just a thing...:D

It’s the rules under PayPal and the rules on almost every forum, Facebook group etc to comply with PayPal rules

Fees are deducted from the amount the seller receives, simple

A seller should ask for the amount of the sale, and an agreed amount negotiated should be the sale price

Unless it’s a face to face sale then it’s pretty obvious that if a sale is agreed at £100 then the buyer pays £100

Not agree on £100 then say it’s actually £125 because you now have to pay for me to post it to you and addon another random 4% etc for fees (even though its 3.4% and 20p but people just say 4%)

If you want £100 in your pocket then check the size and weight, check out the postage, chuck on about 4% and pick the nearest round number 

(Remember the fee is charged on the whole transaction so make sure the postage charged covers the deduction that will be taken)

Top tip on postage - if you use Royal Mail online and print your own label then the cost can be less than at the counter.  

When i sell online I generally buy the postage straight away, even just on my phone then the buyer gets the details straight away, I can then print when at home or work and stick it on the parcel and get it posted.

If you can’t do the maths then some baby website has been providing a calculator for years

http://www.clothnappytree.com/ppcalculator/

Hi all, I personally agree and follow the vcra act and other shooting rules and regs too, to the letter lol.. And i will not sell a RIF to anyone who can't show me a valid defence or ukara, as a few members on here will know as I have not sold to them, like Lewis for example even though i personally really wanted to and know he is a top bloke.

But what cracks me up and gets my goat somewhat is the slightly flawed system, a defence does not make you a responsible person. 

I belong to a RS firearms club and a lot of my family and friends have their FAC, lol but this is not classed for a defence for RIF airsoft guns which in my eyes is a joke, and to be totally honest I have meet many people or played with people at games that I would class as very irresponsible people, that not only have no gun safety sense but also do things they should not, like shooting in the woods for example, but because they have UKARA people can sell to them but if a fellow member of our firearms club or family that have their FAC wanted a RIF for a gun for some home practicing or even to use at gun club for some cheap fun in the airgun and airsoft range, we can't really sell to them, even though they are some of the most responsible and gun savvy people I have meet, Silly a.. 

That's just my 2 cents lol.. :)

But as I say to people, although our rules, guidelines, regs and laws are not perfect they could be a heck of a lot worse that's for sure.. 

Happy shooting all. 

ATB Marc 

@Marc.RG1

Thats the thing with the VCRA, it’s not a firearms style piece of legislation and isn’t really about responsible use of an IF or RIF

You can’t sell a RIF to those you mentioned, but you can sell them a two tone

The act is about the look, and to shoot on a range hasn’t got a need for a realistic look.

A local theatre can justify RIFs in performances, and is an original defence

Airsoft didnt have an original defence in the act but got added, it’s not essential to have a RIF in airsoft as everyone is just playing a game, but it helps in the immersion and the UKARA were successful as an association of retailers and obtained an additional defence which protected the business of airsoft and didn’t kill the marketplace

Other real guns such as starting pistols, deacs etc can all be used irresponsibly but are covered in existing legislation, and as they are not imitations are nothing to do with the VCRA.  Occasionally someone pops up who just wants to collect, and RIFs are cheaper then deacs.  But they don’t have a VCRA Defence

Paijtball doesn’t have a VCRA Defence, there was a small true milsim community at the time but it wasn’t a battle the UKPSF could win so they didn’t fight it.

Paintball guns got more realistic and true magfed came, when retailers went back to the UKPSF they raised the issue with the home office, there remains no VCRA defence but there is now a statement from the home office interpreting what would be Paintball RIFs as either VCRA exempt due to other legislation (treating it as a firearm) or that UKPSF membership as a UKARA equivalent.  Those would be subject to a case in court to decide, but though there is no clear ‘defence’ for retailers in the UKARA context the letter from the home office would be a reasonable legal ‘defence’ to a retailer/seller in court

With both RIFs and firearms both the UKARA or a FAC do not prove an individual will be responsible, but the VCRA gives the reasonable steps to a seller thar the intention was there for justifiable use.

We can only sell to those of the appropriate age and the legal responsibility lies with the adult on their actual use

The VCRA isn’t really about legal use and true imitation firearm crime.  It is a child safety and anti chav law to keep realistic guns from kids in the street and avoid the police shooting a young teen on a firearms call out or a chav robbing the local corner shop with a poundland or market plastic gun

12 minutes ago, Tommikka said:

@Marc.RG1

Thats the thing with the VCRA, it’s not a firearms style piece of legislation and isn’t really about responsible use of an IF or RIF

You can’t sell a RIF to those you mentioned, but you can sell them a two tone

The act is about the look, and to shoot on a range hasn’t got a need for a realistic look.

A local theatre can justify RIFs in performances, and is an original defence

Airsoft didnt have an original defence in the act but got added, it’s not essential to have a RIF in airsoft as everyone is just playing a game, but it helps in the immersion and the UKARA were successful as an association of retailers and obtained an additional defence which protected the business of airsoft and didn’t kill the marketplace

Other real guns such as starting pistols, deacs etc can all be used irresponsibly but are covered in existing legislation, and as they are not imitations are nothing to do with the VCRA.  Occasionally someone pops up who just wants to collect, and RIFs are cheaper then deacs.  But they don’t have a VCRA Defence

Paijtball doesn’t have a VCRA Defence, there was a small true milsim community at the time but it wasn’t a battle the UKPSF could win so they didn’t fight it.

Paintball guns got more realistic and true magfed came, when retailers went back to the UKPSF they raised the issue with the home office, there remains no VCRA defence but there is now a statement from the home office interpreting what would be Paintball RIFs as either VCRA exempt due to other legislation (treating it as a firearm) or that UKPSF membership as a UKARA equivalent.  Those would be subject to a case in court to decide, but though there is no clear ‘defence’ for retailers in the UKARA context the letter from the home office would be a reasonable legal ‘defence’ to a retailer/seller in court

With both RIFs and firearms both the UKARA or a FAC do not prove an individual will be responsible, but the VCRA gives the reasonable steps to a seller thar the intention was there for justifiable use.

We can only sell to those of the appropriate age and the legal responsibility lies with the adult on their actual use

The VCRA isn’t really about legal use and true imitation firearm crime.  It is a child safety and anti chav law to keep realistic guns from kids in the street and avoid the police shooting a young teen on a firearms call out or a chav robbing the local corner shop with a poundland or market plastic gun

I rest my case mate, it's flawed,  same as the two-tone rule, I and many other shoot more then a few two tone RS guns.. 

But like I say the rules, guidelines, regs and laws are not perfect but could be a heck of a lot worse.. 

ATB Marc 

• Mostly Retired Moderators
6 hours ago, Marc.RG1 said:

And i will not sell a RIF to anyone who can't show me a valid defence or ukara, as a few members on here will know as I have not sold to them, like Lewis for example even though i personally really wanted

This I can attest to :lol:

Even though I had a defense through meeting guys from here at games, being a long standing member of AFUK, designing the forum patches and having solid feedback buying and selling RIFs on here (even sold one to him! :lol:) he wouldn't have it. 

Even though I was gutted (I really wanted that M9 :( ) I can respect that he stuck to his guns... literally

Did you ever shift that M9 in the end Marc?

45 minutes ago, L3wisD said:

This I can attest to :lol:

Even though I had a defense through meeting guys from here at games, being a long standing member of AFUK, designing the forum patches and having solid feedback buying and selling RIFs on here (even sold one to him! :lol:) he wouldn't have it. 

Even though I was gutted (I really wanted that M9 :( ) I can respect that he stuck to his guns... literally

Did you ever shift that M9 in the end Marc?

Hi Lewis, lol core you know how to make me feel bad.  :lol:

yeah you knew I really wanted to sell you it to you too mate and to be honest it was really hard for me to say no to you knowing the kind of person and trusted person you are..

Nope still not sold the M9 yet, had a few people ask, some had no defence, one guy had two stamps on his ticket and is meant to be getting his third on the 21st,  so I said I don't mind holding it for him until he gets the third and can send me his ukara, as my local Rfd sold the gun they was holding for me but have more on order,  but his not an active poster on the forum, he did send me photographic Proof etc of name, age, address, game stamp tickets etc, but if I don't hear back from him I'll either try listing it again or just take it out the box and put it back on my display shelf lol.. 

Still no luck getting yours sorted, first come first served, in your case anyway.. :)

ATB Marc 

• Supporters
7 hours ago, Marc.RG1 said:

Hi all, I personally agree and follow the vcra act and other shooting rules and regs too, to the letter lol

You're aware that the "letter" of the VCRA, even as amended, says nothing about airsoft, right?

That's what really cracks me up.  We're reliant on a Home Office circular which indicates that the "permitted activities" pencilled into the act as an afterthought secretly refer to airsoft skirmishing.  But that's not explicit in the original act, nor even the subsequent regulatory amendment.  I'd characterise it as being the opinion of some unnamed individual in the Home Office, published on a web page, and subject to being thrown down the Memory Hole or simply ignored by a judge since it's neither statute nor regulation.

Better yet, even if you know that it's "Home Office circular 031 / 2007", the top Google hit I get for that is this site.  Circular indeed.

Yup.. We could discuss all day about some of the simpletons in the home office that come up with or put forward these guidelines etc, but for many years being an all round sporting shooter I tend not to think about it too much to be honest and just go with the flow or I just get wound up lol, it's true though that the rules, guidelines and so called laws around airsoft are a bit flawed, it's much more straightforward and black and white with a lot less grey areas for firearms then airsoft. But I will admit I shoot everything and enjoy everything as long as we are legally allowed to keep doing that then I'm happy enough. :)

ATB Marc 

• Mostly Retired Moderators
1 hour ago, Marc.RG1 said:

Lewis, lol core you know how to make me feel bad.  :lol:

;)

Just pulling your plonker mate. 

I should really get my finger out and renew my UKARA at some stage though, so it's my own fault really.

/shrug

The only defence I have is my involvement in this forum and the emails to and from ZA to book skirmishing. Even though I been playing since October last year I play maybe twice a month, sometimes less. I know I played more in January and February than any other months but my attendance is erratic at best. My point is, I don't think I've managed the alloted amount of games in the time period, so still without UKARA.

And I've been actively modifying my RIF's. I should probably go to jail. Straight past Go and be down £200.

24 minutes ago, Duff said:

/shrug

The only defence I have is my involvement in this forum and the emails to and from ZA to book skirmishing. Even though I been playing since October last year I play maybe twice a month, sometimes less. I know I played more in January and February than any other months but my attendance is erratic at best. My point is, I don't think I've managed the alloted amount of games in the time period, so still without UKARA.

And I've been actively modifying my RIF's. I should probably go to jail. Straight past Go and be down £200.

That's enough of a defence for me and most people. If you have a long membership and active profile on this forum unless i doubt your age i would have no issues selling a rif to you. Unless you been modifying deactivated weapons you done no wrong lol...

5 minutes ago, padraigthesniper said:

That's enough of a defence for me and most people. If you have a long membership and active profile on this forum unless i doubt your age i would have no issues selling a rif to you. Unless you been modifying deactivated weapons you done no wrong lol...

Good to know, thankyou. When I say modified, I mean removed two-tone paint and re-sprayed my first springer shotty to make it look nice. Also did some paintingt on the JG M4 but that was just OD green on the receiver, not two tone. I really enjoy painting RIF's, something I'd like to experiment with.

However, I am definately old enough, unfortunately.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Duff said:

I don't think I've managed the alloted amount of games in the time period

It's 3 sessions over a period of 8 weeks or more.  You should be fine by now if your site is part of the UKARA scheme.  Can't hurt to ask.

I mean, unless they staple the form to your face.  That might sting a bit.

1 minute ago, Rogerborg said:

It's 3 sessions over a period of 8 weeks or more.  You should be fine by now if your site is part of the UKARA scheme.  Can't hurt to ask.

I mean, unless they staple the form to your face.  That might sting a bit.

Only ever filled out a form the first time, every time since they "know my face" plus the guy I usually skirmish with has been going to the Mall since it opened. I do keep meaning to sort out my membership but I forget and by the time the night is done I cannot be fucked so spend 5 minutes sorting it.

i agree that ukara number should be all thats required and i woudlnt give anyone a photo of ID, BUT - why did none of the buyers just say that?

If I was buying id just tell the op that hes asking too much and tell him either accept the info im providing or dont. I wouldn't go silent or make up some random excuse

2 hours ago, L3wisD said:

;)

Just pulling your plonker mate. 

I should really get my finger out and renew my UKARA at some stage though, so it's my own fault really.

Lol yeah I know mate ;)

You are doing more important things right now though then sorting out your UKARA or other defence anyway, Your a member of UKAPU as well aren't you, hmm. As you say though mate with your rep that's a good enough defence for most, and for good reason.. 

Happy shooting all. 

ATB Marc 

If the UKARA number states my full name - I have no issue with bringing my ID to prove that I've not just grabbed some randoms number, but I won't be sending pictures of it lol

Archived