Trying to sell a RIF but am I doing it wrong?

Apoch
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Morning guys. In the week I have put a few RIF's for sale in the sales section of this site. 

I started getting enquiries straight away and i think gleaming, they will be gone In no time! 

Wrong. 

I have now had 5 people agree on prices with me and then pull out when it gets down to brass tacs.

When I ask for proof of age and of being a member at a skirmish site one of two things happen.

Either complete radio silence or a million excuses of why the purchase can no longer go ahead. 

None of these excuses i hasten to add consists of "sorry mate i can't provide that".

The following is a list of information i ask the buyers for so I can satisfy proof of defence. 

1. Full name and address.
  2. Copy of either your uk driving license or passport.
  3. Copy of either your skirmish site membership card or site registration documentation.
  4. UKARA number

My question is this. Is it normal to get plenty of time wasters or am i doing something wrong?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, selling a RUG is likely your problem :D

Seriously, I wouldn’t give you a copy of my driving licence or passport, nor my full name and address until I’d paid you.

You’d get my UKARA number and name, that’s it.

Name and ukara number is all you would get from me too. 

Ukaradatabase has my address in it as far as I know, so you don't need that. And there is certainly no way you need a driving license. If you doubt someone is over 18, simply don't sell it to them. 

• Supporters

Way OTT, UKARA self check or ask club/retailer to confirm details

Has to be 18 to obtain entry on UKARA database anyway (no u18's)

Clubs/Sites - most don't do cards & doubt if all paperwork is on hand if there is a #XYZ012345678 form

Seller needs to satisfy that purchaser has a valid defense/reason to buy/own a RIF - that is all

It is a little unclear exactly in stone what that defense is to the letter but onus is on seller to establish

Not every single site processes UKARA registration themselves - most do but not all

if site has no shop/retailer connection then at times the player has to get a UKARA retailer to confirm/enter/reg

(after clarifying with site(s) person is regular 18+ player etc....)

UKARA is but one form of recognised defense retailers use to comply with VCRA

I bought my first RIF before entry, as retailer contacted my site who was late entering me on UKARA

The site vouched for me and the sale was completed, as both retailer & site where both legit UKARA

Retailer happy, I was happy & my site eventually got finger out & processed & entered moi on database

In this day & age people are very very wary of giving out any info in case of identity theft etc....

There are some very dodgy people out there - but George Agdgdgwngo & Ugandan dollars is legit

Related image

How many RUG's ya got bro....

Related image

To be honest mate, I would feel really uncomfortable giving out any details other than name and number before payment, and afterwards the only additional info would be address. At no point would I disclose license or passport details, especially photocopies for a private sale. 

Yeah, cool down on the 'US Immigration Desk' sales approach and you might get them flogged off. 

• Supporters

I don't have ukara (currently), but I have had previously, & I've bought rifs fairly recently, always pointing to my various long term forum memberships, extensive postcount & perfect high feedback, & in all but one purchase the sellers were fine about it.

the ONE that wasn't insisted on ukara, nothing else would float his boat, fine, somebody else got my money, BUT had he asked for the kinda of info your asking for, I would have considered supplying a redacted version, just enough to tally up but not enough to duplicate or commit fraud with etc.

Im more inclined to think that the complete silence your experiencing points to the buyers being underage & not being able any of your demands, surely a "grown up" (if that's what we are ? ;) ), would reply, even if it was to say "don't take the piss mate it's only a toy" ?

thats my take on it, plus there's quite a few tyrekickers on here.

mark

• Supporters

Yup totally agree with ALL the above , your not selling because ;

1: its on me to provide the defense that’s needed not you .

2: most sites don’t have ‘solid’ membership details any more it’s all online and there are other forms of defence .

3: your asking for waaaaaay too much confidential info , quite frankly I’d tell you to do one if you asked me that much , no matter what your selling OR how much of a bargain it was .

And finally :  rugs are out mate , carpets are back with a vengeance and unless your absolutely giving it away you’ll never shift it , shag pile is king again ! 

Clearly should have checked that title before posting haha.

So then the general consensus is name and UKARA? Do i not need their postcode to match against the database?

4 of the 5 people that contacted me were all new users on this site with no posting history which was one of the reasons i was being so specific. 

Cheers for all the help guys.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Apoch said:

Clearly should have checked that title before posting haha.

So then the general consensus is name and UKARA? Do i not need their postcode to match against the database?

4 of the 5 people that contacted me were all new users on this site with no posting history which was one of the reasons i was being so specific. 

Cheers for all the help guys.

End of the day mate if you don't feel satisfied that the user has a valid defense then don't sell to them. There's plenty more fish in the sea. When I sell I either ask for a UKARA number (easiest, proves 18+ and an active skirmisher), game pics or booking info from 3 games this year. Being an active forum member helps too, but I wouldn't rely solely on that. 

1 hour ago, Gepard said:

End of the day mate if you don't feel satisfied that the user has a valid defense then don't sell to them. There's plenty more fish in the sea. When I sell I either ask for a UKARA number (easiest, proves 18+ and an active skirmisher), game pics or booking info from 3 games this year. Being an active forum member helps too, but I wouldn't rely solely on that. 

To echo what Gepard said, low post count at the moment doesn't really count for much. I have a low post count, and a new member, however I was on zeroin from 2011 I think, with high post count and like 200ish 100%+ve feedback. I find the main giveaway is: U still got dat cool gat bruv? - £20 quid yeah. (Especially in the school holidays and around Christmas time).

• Supporters

You gotta love the school holidays :) 

I ask for they're national airsoft gun royal license code along with the regular formal AIFB (airsoft investigation federation bureua) Code and hexagonal password picture. Following that gets confirmed in my local satellite database (you can buy one in the Mi10 gift shop) i follow up with a good old call to my pal Theresa who contacts a active Trident Commander to confirm the missile is still guarded. Once we get 3 yellow pings back from the sub i send two police officers copies of the defences to be looked over for another 2 weeks. Usually its only 2 weeks but sometimes i hire a whole squad of police to check the defence and it only takes 1 week. You cant trust UKARA for shit like that's how ISIS arm they're troops with fake UKARA numbers and converted airsoft guns. They really like the Real Sword Aks as they are better quality than the cyma ones for war. I heard even North Korea buys they're Nukes with UKARA so you cant trust it at all. At the end of the day the only way to be sure is to break into the buyers house at night and check how clean his toaster is. If there's more than a few crumbs you can be sure hes a bank robber in the making. BE CAREFUL ONLY SELL TO PEOPLE WITH Mi13 LEVEL 3!!! CLEARANCE!!! NOT LEVEL 1!!! NOT LEVEL 2!!! LEVEL 3!!!!!!!!

If you need any help let me know and i'll talk to Barry at seal team 6 to make sure its okay. Some kid came on here trying to sell toy desert eagles a few weeks back, Barry was not happy him and Seal team 7 killed his entire neighbourhood for breaking the law... You can never be too careful. I would not trust UKARA at all... 

:rolleyes:

• Supporters

UKARA copypasta. 

6 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

To be fair, it does sound like you've had a bunch of 14 year olds messing you around.

Had another one tonight. His proof that he played airsoft was a couple of pictures of him in mtp sans weapon.

Got very upset when i said no.

• Supporters

TBH - if they can't provide PROPER proof then triple the price.....

If they agree - they deffo haven't got defense/sense

anybody with both defense & common sense would know where to purchase stuff legally & at right price

soz for taking the pi$$ earlier, cheers for being a good sport with some responsibility too

8 minutes ago, Sitting Duck said:

TBH - if they can't provide PROPER proof then triple the price.....

If they agree - they deffo haven't got defense/sense

anybody with both defense & common sense would know where to purchase stuff legally & at right price

soz for taking the pi$$ earlier, cheers for being a good sport with some responsibility too

That's alright mate. It's not worth losing my job/liberty or the sport being outright banned. 

You nee to be satisfied they have a defense, and it is as dubious as it sounds. I have only just joined the UKARA scheme as my site membership gets me on there, but have 7 RIFS, always had a good enough defense to buy new or second hand!

Pictures, or receipts of game bookings will count as a defense too, hell being a regular on here can be argued as a defense too, as long as YOU feel confident they are buying it for a legitimate reason, plinking or skirmishing etc (and are over 18) then you should be satisfied and sell!

• Mostly Retired Moderators

I'm always dubious of people supplying photos of them playing.

How easy would it be to nab a handful of photos from a Facebook page to pass off as themselves?

Especially if the photos are a guy in full face.

I dunno *shrug*

• Supporters
8 minutes ago, L3wisD said:

I'm always dubious of people supplying photos of them playing.

How easy would it be to nab a handful of photos from a Facebook page to pass off as themselves?

Especially if the photos are a guy in full face.

I dunno *shrug*

Ask for link to the Facebook page, check dates, message site to confirm the user is an active player.

Full face pro could be tricky but they should be able to tell you who's who if they're a regular at that site. 

You can also check the dates within the photos themselves. Download them, right click, properties and then 'date created'.

• Supporters

You could always ask for their UKARA 'licence' and gauge their reaction. :lol:

Archived